is this normal?

Go to solution Solved by adm0n,

hmm, they still might be able to help you, if you open a support ticket : D but you could try finding an answer in the internet as well.

Your computer did not power down over night : D it went from 100% at 7pm to 7% at 5am. 
You need to figure out if it was just a strange bug this time, or if this happens all the time.

Just now, adm0n said:

Your computer did not power down over night : D it went from 100% at 7pm to 7% at 5am. 
You need to figure out if it was just a strange bug this time, or if this happens all the time.

it appears to happen all the time, ill see if it happens tonight. any idea on how to fix it?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

might have something to do with the power profile

Just now, Matgeroe said:

might have something to do with the power profile

what do you mean

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Well, I had the same problem on my laptop. The Manufacturer released a bios update to solve the problem as far as I'm concerned : D 

What also works miracles would be a clean installation of windows. Since you just got your notebook, it porbably is filled with bloatware anyway.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

what do you mean

your computer can assume certain power profiles e.g. battery saving, performance or balanced dependent on the profile the laptop might not go into sleep when closing the lid

Just now, adm0n said:

Well, I had the same problem on my laptop. The Manufacturer released a bios update to solve the problem as far as I'm concerned : D 

What also works miracles would be a clean installation of windows. Since you just got your notebook, it porbably is filled with bloatware anyway.

i checked what was installed, and unless something is hiding somewhere other than programs and features than there is no bloatware

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Matgeroe said:

your computer can assume certain power profiles e.g. battery saving, performance or balanced dependent on the profile the laptop might not go into sleep when closing the lid

i set all the profiles to sleep when i close the lid

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

i set all the profiles to sleep when i close the lid

Does your laptop enter the standby state if you close it right now?

39 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Does your laptop enter the standby state if you close it right now?

standby state?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

do the fans stop spinning and the light start blinking instead of being permanently on?

Basically, does it turn off?

48 minutes ago, adm0n said:

do the fans stop spinning and the light start blinking instead of being permanently on?

Basically, does it turn off?

no

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, adm0n said:

First I'd like you to update your bios, if that is okay (https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-UX31LA/HelpDesk_Download/

choose OS and then click on BIOS and download the one on the top.

Maybe that'll solve the problem...

not sure exactly how/why it would, but will it delete or mess anything up?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

The bios has the job to initiate the communication between hard and software and there might be some device, that simply won't allow your PC to enter the sleep mode. 

If you want, you can open the event viewer and look for a error message. But you do not seem to be the only person with that problem. I'm researching it right now ... and I don't think that there is a simple solutions, at least not right now, if you already set all your power profiles to go to sleep if the lid is closed.

Oh and there is always a tiny chance that something goes wrong while flashing your bios. That is why you are usually not supposed to do it, if everything is working (never touch a running system) but the chances are so low, that you should be fine : D

Just now, adm0n said:

Oh and there is always a tiny chance that something goes wrong while flashing your bios. That is why you are usually not supposed to do it, if everything is working (never touch a running system) but the chances are so low, that you should be fine : D

so if it doesnt fix it, will it do anything?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

It will fix some other problems you probably haven't encountered yet. But it won't delete your files or anything else. But if you have something important on that computer, you should have a backup, because I do not want to be responsible ._. (I'll be gone for now : D hopefully the bios update fixes the problem. another thing you can try is deactivating onedrive, apparently that helped someone fix the problem as well)

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

It will fix some other problems you probably haven't encountered yet. But it won't delete your files or anything else. But if you have something important on that computer, you should have a backup, because I do not want to be responsible ._. (I'll be gone for now : D hopefully the bios update fixes the problem. another thing you can try is deactivating onedrive, apparently that helped someone fix the problem as well)

sorry, last question. does it automatically install itself? if not, how do i install it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I don't know exactly, but you should just click the file and it should guide you through the steps. 

I'm back now : D you can ask as much as you want, I'm happy if I can help you.

Just now, adm0n said:

I don't know exactly, but you should just click the file and it should guide you through the steps. 

I'm back now : D you can ask as much as you want, I'm happy if I can help you.

should i unzip it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, adm0n said:

yes : D

should i just unzip it in the downloads folder?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, adm0n said:

It does not matter where you unzip it to.

now what, is it done?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈