Dual Channel RAM

Macks

My processor (i5-6600) says that it can have a max of 2 channels of RAM, does that mean that I can only use 2 sticks of ram?

That means that RAM can only work in dual channel. You can use four sticks of RAM, each pair in dual channel.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That means that RAM can only work in dual channel. You can use four sticks of RAM, each pair in dual channel.

Would I have to change something in my BIOS, or would it change my settings automatically?

Just now, Macks said:

Would I have to change something in my BIOS, or would it change my settings automatically?

Automatically, if you put them in proper slots.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Your motherboard, if bigger than mITX, will have four slots, two of different colors. Getting a RAM kit and installing them in the same colored slots will run the ram in dual channel. Which is slightly faster. And since there are four slots, dual channel can be done twice.

If you get only one stick, but it in any slot.

If you get two sticks of the same exact ram or a kit, put it in the same color slot. And double that for 4 sticks.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Automatically, if you put them in proper slots.

Alright, thanks for the help!

14 minutes ago, technocrat_13 said:

Your motherboard, if bigger than mITX, will have four slots, two of different colors. Getting a RAM kit and installing them in the same colored slots will run the ram in dual channel. Which is slightly faster. And since there are four slots, dual channel can be done twice.

If you get only one stick, but it in any slot.

If you get two sticks of the same exact ram or a kit, put it in the same color slot. And double that for 4 sticks.

Some h110 boards only have 2 slots even for matx/atx boards, and only one color of ram slot for all slots, and dual channel cannot be done twice on consumer boards, you need an enthusiast board to use higher then dual channel which is triple/quad channel.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •