Big GTX 1060 Custom Roundup!!

Made this Post in a Thread and was thinking, maybe worth it's own Topic. so it's easier to find, since this Kind of question comes like 69 times a day ^^

got those from a german hardware magazine, which tested them very deeply. Some other cards from other users, so they are not very accurate numbers:

MSI Gaming X: 66°C, at 0.7 Sone (Sone = Loudness).

Also, cooling plate over VRMs and VRams. In addition, full custom PCB and custom vrms (much more than stock).

With an 8 Pin Connector, it has a Power Target of 216 Watt at 100% (which means, this card will NEVER run into Power target (= no Boost throttle), no matter how hard you OC it. And temperature Target also, since the card has really hard difficulty to hit 70° or more. It stays always below that, even when theres 28°C in my Room.)

Fan's are off <60°C

This is hands down, the best. There's no other, that can compete with this Temperature / Noise ratio. I have never heared this out of my silent System, even with heavy OC and stresstest.

Asus Strix: 62°C, at 2.4 Sone. A few °C cooler, but MUCH louder. Need to tweak this alot to match the MSI. Since it's also expensive, the msi is preferable.

Fan's stop below 57°C

Gigabyte Gaming G1 6G: 68°C, at 2.4 Sone. warmer AND louder than the MSI. So it's the worse card. But like the MSI it has a very high Power limit. 220 Watt at 116%.

Fans stop below 62°C

Zotac AMP: 74°C at 1.0 Sone. (Tuning tipp: Fans at 40% under Load = 0.8 Sone. Basicly almost as silent as the MSI Gaming, but around 10 °C higher temperatures. Also, less power Target (max 116% = 140 Watt)

Also, Fans stop below 59°C.

This is a Custom PCB, the same Layout as the Zotac Mini, with 5 VRM Phases (Instead the reference 3+1), so it comes with a more stable power supply for higher clock speeds. Plus, here with a better Cooler. Not the best temperatures, but can be very quiet.

Bang for buck recommendation. Especially with 5 years warranty.

Gainward Phoenix: 71°C, at 1.4 Sone. But still a pretty quiet.

Fans stop below 57°C.

Recommendation, if this is Cheaper than the MSI Gaming (X), and also cheaper than the Zotac AMP, because only 2 Years Warranty.

Palit Jetstream: 72°C, at 1.3 Sone. But still pretty quiet.

Fans Stop below 57°C

Recommendation, if this is Cheaper than the MSI Gaming (X), and also cheaper than the Zotac AMP, because only 2 Years Warranty.

(Palit Jetstream and Gainward Phoenix are identical. Just fans are shaped different, and the Color of the cooler case is different. Cooler itself is the same.

EVGA Gaming: 82°C, at 3.2 Sone. Sounds hot and loud? Yup it is. This Cooler is Crapshit. Completely too weak for this GPU. 

It runs very quickly into Temperature Target, and can't hold the Boost, and throttles down. Plus, Fan get's pretty Loud.

This is the Standard BIOS. EVGA released a special "Silent Bios" (which also stops the Fan below 50°C or so). Higher temperature for lower Noise. But Temperature EVEN HIGHER? no Thanks... I do not recommend this Model at ALL. Even if you save a few bucks.

In Addition to that: There is NO Cooler on the VRMs, Memory chips, or PWM Controller. So those run pretty hot...

EVGA SC Gaming: 68°C, at 2.5 Sone. it's okay/fine for the size. This Cooler is much better than the Basic model, as you can see on the linked Picture.

Tuning Tipp: 50% Fan Speed for 1.3 Sone. That's pretty quiet, although still louder than the MSI Gaming, and a bit hotter.

And here also, EVGA released a special "Silent Bios" (and here too, Fans stop below 50°C~). Higher Temperatures (which is okay, since this card gives alot more headroom for higher temperatures) for a slower fan speed --> Pretty quiet.

In Addition to that: There is NO Cooler on the VRMs, Memory chips, or PWM Controller. Since this Model is higher clocked, those pards might get aven a bit hotter than the basic model. The PWM Controler for example reaches 10°C MORE than it's own specification.

it's okay, if you get it cheap, since it's an EVGA. 3 years warranty, and possibility to upgrade to 5 or 10 years for a bit more price (but i would honestly spend those 25 bucks more into the MSI Gaming...)

Founders (just for reference): 73°C, at 2.4 Sone.

Fans always spin. In Idle it should be at 1000-1100 rpm. Under Load 2000-2100 rpm~.

Zero reason to get this one, even for small ITX a good custom is much better.

BONUS CUSTOM MODELS (that i've gotten some Data from other users. so not compareable to all those above. But all those above were tested under the exact same conditions.)

Palit DUAL (also, Gainward Dual, PNY Dual): Around 74-78°C, at a Fan speed or 1850-2000 rpm. Despite this beeing a very big Cooler with 2 heatpipes and 2 Fans, palit fucked up hard. This card has a similar Loudness as the Founders, and similar Temperatures. Maybe it can be ok with hard Undervolting but.. There are just so much better Cards.

I've had the Palit Dual before my msi gaming.

Got like 75°C at 1860 rpm. When i set the Fans manually to 1550 rpm (quieter, but still hearable), Temperatures shot up to 80-81°C. So, just going down with Fan speed a little, the Cooling performance drops HARD. I think, making this silent get's it to 90°C. Way too much tbh... 

And all that was under Valley 1.0 benchmark. A not very demanding one. Firestrike or heavy Games might be even worse.

Gigabyte Windforce 2x: i've seen mostly 72-76°C, depending on Case/room temperature etc. Fan speed at 1400-1800 rpm. Also depending on how cool your Room is. One user hat 72°C at 1400-1500 rpm, another had 75°C with 1800 rpm. 

Both said, it's not very loud. So depending on the Deal, this might be an alternative. I would NOT prefer it over a Zotac AMP!.

But if this card get's on a deal... why not.

Here in germany, this was sold for 249€ (after Taxes), while the next cheap cards startet at 272€+. MSI Gaming is 330€ here, just for a comparison)

Small Edit here: A User in another Forum was sharing this picture: http://abload.de/image.php?img=furmark8fr6a.jpg

Yes, it's furmark. But the Card is at 80°C, at 2000 rpm. That means, very close to Temperature Target, quite loud, and also, it sit's at 114,x % Power%. 116% is the max Power Target.

And even then, it's not able to hold the Boost clock, it even throttles down to 1683 Mhz.

So, i maybe wouldn't get this, especially it temperatures/Noise are a big deal.

Zotac Mini: That's a little special one. The Cooler looks just like an intel Boxed cooler, or just like the EVGA Basic model. However, it seems to have no copper Core.

But: It doesn#t have a founder's PCB, it has 5 VRM Phases (instead of the basic 3+1 phases). Also, the VRMs do have Passive coolers on them. This is a bit better than the basic EVGA Model.

But the Cooler itself should be at least at 75-80°C, and Fan also hearable.

Up to 50% Fan speed it's pretty quiet, but at 60 you can hear it.

Only get this, if it's veeeery cheap.

tl;dr: this would be my Order, starting from the best, to the worst i would recommend if you want best temperatures/noise:

1. MSI Gaming (X) 

2. Zotac AMP! (Because 5 Years warranty, and it's pretty Quiet. 

3. Palit Jetstream / Gainward Phoenix (Not worth getting the OC version, because that brings you just further near the better MSI Gaming.)

4. EVGA SC. If you want a small compact one, but still beeing able to get it somewhat silent/quiet. But here again, not the best Temperatures so... maybe not the best choice.

why are you using stone and not Decibell? way more people can relate to decibel probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

That's what the magazine was using. And it doesn't matter at all. This is compareable between each other ^^ Higher number = Higher loudness.

And "Sone" is the Unit for Loudness itself.

While "Decibel" is a Unit of sound pressure.

Plus, decibel doesn't give you any more information, as long you don't know the exact Testing method.

A Whisper from 1cm range can have more decibel than a starting Engine in 100 km range.

In Other words, 45 Decibel in Test A can be much more quiet than 35 Decibel in Test B, if the Test method was different. so it wouldn't be comparable anyway.

I mean, if i tell you, theres a Sound that has 40 decibel. Can you relate to that? Does it tell you anything? Not really, right? ^^

• 1 month later...

Hi Darkseth, first of all thanks for the post. I was looking for a good comparison of the custom 1060 models and your post is the most close think i found. Based on your post, I searched the Hardwareluxx (I imagined that since you posted the images from there, that that would be the original site of the reviews) for 1060 reviews and the results they show are pretty much in contrast with what you write here. For example MSI 1060 gaming X is reported a bit louder than Inno3D, ASUS, Zotac and EVGA SC versions (http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/40469-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-im-test.html?start=5). Could you please post a link to the origin of your data?

• 3 months later...
On 23.10.2016 at 9:46 PM, steinsgate said:

Hi Darkseth, first of all thanks for the post. I was looking for a good comparison of the custom 1060 models and your post is the most close think i found. Based on your post, I searched the Hardwareluxx (I imagined that since you posted the images from there, that that would be the original site of the reviews) for 1060 reviews and the results they show are pretty much in contrast with what you write here. For example MSI 1060 gaming X is reported a bit louder than Inno3D, ASUS, Zotac and EVGA SC versions (http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/40469-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-im-test.html?start=5). Could you please post a link to the origin of your data?

Hello^^

i am terribly Sorry for replying SO late...

I got my Data from the Magazine "PC Games Hardware"

They made a big Roundup for their Magazine, and the Data wasn't in their Homepage.

I di know Hardwareluxx, however some models are strange there.

For example, in their Test, the EVGA Gaming (Basic model, with a very cheap cooler) seems decent. But PC Games Hardware measured 83°C, and throttling hard because the Cooler can't keep the card cool enough. And is also very Loud.

Also, another Site (i think it was Tomshardware. One of their members posted this in a Forum), where the EVGA SC runs pretty hot on the PWMs, since they aren't cooled at all, but the Bios is pretty heavy overclocked.

I think, in the EVGA forums about the smaller basic model, and SC Model, you should find something in the EVGA forums. Saw a few Posts there, where the EVGA Basic model ran pretty hot