Aftermarket vs Stock Cooler. No development!

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
11 hours ago, Heavygun1450 said:

Seems fine then. Remember, Pea sized drop in the middle of the CPU, and put the cooler down on top of it, without spreading it out or applying much pressure and just put the Heatsink right on the top of it.

Exactly! That's the way I did but man, 212x was hard to install! Fearing too!! The ambient room temp is 30'c. Just ended playing Syndicate for 1.5 hours. Went up to 60'c.10 am. Will install another exhaust fan on the cooler. Not so costly one. Antec F19. Can reduce 2'c for least, right?

There's already a thread on idle temp but started this based on cooler.

I have a Hyper 103 installed on. Previously it was the noisy stock cooler on my AMD FX 8320(NOT OVERCLOCKED). Ambient room temp is like 30'c - 35'c. Then the load temp was being like 38'c-42'c but after installing this Hyper 103.................

OH NO!!!!

It's more than the stock cooler's temps!! Idle is between 45'c - 50'c (fourth photo below of BIOS). Load reached 68'c while I was playing Black Flag as a test!!! Siht happened! I reapplied the thermal paste. The third photo below is the second time's application. Before the paste coat was thick I think(First and second photos). I really tried to do everything I could. I just built the machine yesterday but the problem is killing me, worrying me. Having tension hugely!! Case is #Thermaltake Versa n25. I opened the plastic parts thinking the air would flow in a better manner but nothing happened. A good friend told me to change the thermal paste.  Why is it so? I think my noisy stock cooler didn't make me thi frustrated!! What to do? 

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-10 at 9.57.37 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-10 at 9.57.36 AM.jpeg

IMG_20160910_101520453.jpg

IMG_20160910_121641617.jpg

What thermal paste did you use? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

The kit one I got with the model of Hyper 103. Ordered one of Silver IC Value 1 of CM. Arctic isn't available. Help me out :'( :'( you are the best guy...

Btw, do not take temperature readings from the BIOS... In the BIOS the CPU is running at its max frequency... It is not idling... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I've had more luck by manually spreading the thermal paste with heatsink like these. When the contact plate isn't smooth. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I saved money for 18 months for this built.

Just now, Pohernori said:

I've had more luck by manually spreading the thermal paste with heatsink like these. When the contact plate isn't smooth. 

Should I do that..I am not so good doing that...The kit paste is bad right? conductive too?

2 minutes ago, Anirban said:

The kit one I got with the model of Hyper 103. Ordered one of Silver IC Value 1 of CM. Arctic isn't available. Help me out :'( :'( you are the best guy...

Available thermal pastes where you live? 

Kolkata, India... Amazon.in or mdcomputers.in 

3 minutes ago, Anirban said:

Should I do that..I am not so good doing that...The kit paste is bad right? conductive too?

Nope its just average. I'm using the exact same one. There should be a plastic spreader that came with it. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, Anirban said:

Not that bad, but not great either... NEVER spread thermal compound, it creates air bubbles and leads to temperature issues... 

Should I keep it this way or have to more actions? I am disgusted upon myself!! I am bad bro....I'm bad at this....

7 minutes ago, Anirban said:

Kolkata, India... Amazon.in or mdcomputers.in 

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0045JCFLY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473503785&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Arctic+MX-4&dpPl=1&dpID=31H%2BzKu4DEL&ref=plSrch

Buy this, great stuff! 

Even if you apply thermal paste correctly you can't expect that much more performance out of this cooler than stock. It's quieter for sure but not better performing. Why?

The stock cooler is actually good, it has heatpipes. The fan is just small and runs fast = loud.

The Hyper 103 is a little bit bigger, a little bit bigger fan but it runs slower. Basically your AMD chip won't be cooled better.

I did the same with my 8320, I had stock the stock cooler, bought the freezer pro 7, found it to be quieter but not better performing.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Nope its just average. I'm using the exact same one. There should be a plastic spreader that came with it. 

Didn't get any spreader...though your machine is much costlier and fantastic components. great. @PCGuy_5960 is like a virtual brother and helps me a lot. He has a great build too.. I am just frustrated from the last day you know...:/

3 minutes ago, elpiGee said:

Even if you apply thermal paste correctly you can't expect that much more performance out of this cooler than stock. It's quieter for sure but not better performing. Why?

The stock cooler is actually good, it has heatpipes. The fan is just small and runs fast = loud.

The Hyper 103 is a little bit bigger, a little bit bigger fan but it runs slower. Basically your AMD chip won't be cooled better.

I did the same with my 8320, I had stock the stock cooler, bought the freezer pro 7, found it to be quieter but not better performing.

YOU ARE SAVING MY DAY.....Really??!!! What did you do at last friend?.Mine looks don't good right?? 

1 minute ago, Anirban said:

Didn't get any spreader...though your machine is much costlier and fantastic components. great. @PCGuy_5960 is like a virtual brother and helps me a lot. He has a great build too.. I am just frustrated from the last day you know...:/

For AMD, you should use the line method of applying thermal paste... I think that it's the recommended way by most TIM manufacturers.. 

YOU ARE SAVING MY DAY.....Really??!!! What did you do at last friend?.Mine looks don't good right?? 

It might perform better with a better fan, like Noctua, but you might as well buy a new cooler with the same money.... 

I'll open the cooler again tomorrow. How long the line should be in centimeter? But bro, that thermal paste is so costly out in India... :(:(:/ Can't you suggest another one? 

I don't know how well that thermal spread looks, but in my case I eventually grabbed an AIO to get good performance (120mm aio, i ran at 4.5GHz), it wasn't quiet though. Shortly before swapping out my 8320 I got the D14 and had both good acoustics and performance. 

I'll open the cooler again tomorrow. How long the line should be in centimeter? But bro, that thermal paste is so costly out in India... :(:(:/ Can't you suggest another one? 

The line should be from around the top to around the bottom of the IHS.... Another good thermal compound is Arctic Silver 5... Btw, Tom's Hardware has a great comparison of thermal pastes so you can find cheaper TIMs and see how they perform... 

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The line should be from around the top to around the bottom of the IHS.... Another good thermal compound is Arctic Silver 5... Btw, Tom's Hardware has a great comparison of thermal pastes so you can find cheaper TIMs and see how they perform... 

Your help is more than appreciation. Constantly...Thanks man..thanks..lets see. What I can do.. I would notify you..

Your help is more than appreciation. Constantly...Thanks man..thanks..lets see. What I can do.. I would notify you..

If the issue persists then you can downclock your CPU... You will lose some performance, but you will get lower temps... 

changing thermal paste is not going to do much .... u can try different types of application methods but the difference is not going to be huge max to max 2-3° C ..... hyper 103 is not a great cooler it just has a 92 mm. fan ..... i would recommend increasing speed of the fan that's all can be done ..... i don't think u can do something wrong while applying a coller get something that costs about 2-3k like cooler master hyper 212x that will be quiter amd give you enough headroom for overclocking.

43 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Btw, do not take temperature readings from the BIOS... In the BIOS the CPU is running at its max frequency... It is not idling... 

Thats not really correct. Ilde doesn't mean that CPU is running at lower frequency. It means that there literally isn't any load from software going on. Meaning that BIOS is close to idle.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv