My 200$ PC Upgrade/Change

AceTaker
Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
Just now, AceTaker said:

I will do gaming, but I will end up upgrading to an i3 or i5 later.

All right. just check your game requirements. some newer games REQUIRE 4 cores and will not work on a Pentium. And when i say 'require" and "will not work" I mean they simply do not start up. Check your game specifications before pulling this trigger. of the games that don't require 4 cores, a Pentium G4500 will do just fine.

I'm going to be upgrading my Dell inspiron 570 to a complete different computer (except for the hard drive, and graphics card, which is a R7 250, I'll upgrade that in December, along with a power supply that I'll end up replacing) I just want the community's opinion. Yes, I do know that Zen is coming soon, but I don't have that patience, xD here's the build-thingy. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vkCdHN

I know everyone has their own budgets they need to adhere to, and not everyone has as much disposable income as others, but my recommendation would be to buy used, or save up more money. You're not going to get much with 200 dollars.

That is my opinion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($50.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($17.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xion XON-350_BK ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $217.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-09 20:34 EDT-0400

(don't actually know if BB format still works)
Shouldn't get a 5 year old platform even if you can't wait, you'll get more out of an Intel build that's at least upgradable in the future. It's highly not recommended even in a low price range

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

1 minute ago, Deletive said:

Shouldn't get a 5 year old platform even if you can't wait, you'll get more out of an Intel build that's at least upgradable in the future. It's highly not recommended even in a low price range

Can vouch, ill provide personal benchmarks on Sunday of my i3 at stock if you're weary, plus you'd be able to upgrade to Kaby Lake.

I'd HIGHLY advise get 4 more GBs of RAM asap.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, Deletive said:

I looked into Intel, just I really need the extra cores for school, etc. And I CANNOT exceed 200$, no matter what.

Hey man,

I own a FX 6100 the lil brother of the FX 6300, Its doing fine but im noticing that lately it just isnt going to get the job done and not in the future for sure. I recommend getting an i3 6100 from intel, getting a working used i3 6100 is good too, wont cost alot and will also be future proof!
the i3 6100 does work faster than the FX 6100 / 6300 ;)

11 minutes ago, LamEnough said:

Hey man,

I own a FX 6100 the lil brother of the FX 6300, Its doing fine but im noticing that lately it just isnt going to get the job done and not in the future for sure. I recommend getting an i3 6100 from intel, getting a working used i3 6100 is good too, wont cost alot and will also be future proof!
the i3 6100 does work faster than the FX 6100 / 6300 ;)

What about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2v6QPs

8 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

I looked into Intel, just I really need the extra cores for school, etc. And I CANNOT exceed 200$, no matter what.

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($16.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($30.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $210.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-09 20:48 EDT-0400

even cheaper; mow a lawn for 20$ or something, It'll go much further being able to upgrade it in the future; even the future proofing is enough of a reason to spend a little extra for it.

1 minute ago, AceTaker said:

That's okay however it lacks multi threading, still would put it above a fx 6300 though 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

3 minutes ago, Deletive said:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($16.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($30.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $210.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-09 20:48 EDT-0400

even cheaper; mow a lawn for 20$ or something, It'll go much further being able to upgrade it in the future; even the future proofing is enough of a reason to spend a little extra for it.

That's okay however it lacks multi threading, still would put it above a fx 6300 though 

So you're saying that the Pentium Dual core is essentially better then a 6-core processor?

5 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

So you're saying that the Pentium Dual core is essentially better then a 6-core processor?

Core count and speed isn't everything.... i have a i7 840 at my home computer. If you look up passmark CPU benchmark scores it puts that and the i3 6100 pretty much neck and neck for overall performance.  the i3 would be still better since its individual cores are better, thus more applications and games can make the best use of them rather than the 4 cores and 8 threads that the i7 has.

Core count isn't everything. mainstream CPU's have been 1-8 cores FOREVER (up to 4 on intel side since they have hyperthreading to give them their artificial 8). Yet an older i7 cannot even compare to a current i7, and is instead only comparable to an i3 because of its improved architecture and IPC (instructions per clock).

I don't know about the Pentium, but the i3 6100 is certainly better. and is highly upgradeable going forward (you have all of skylake to choose from, and kaby lake if your motherboard manufacturer releases a BIOS update for it.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Core count and speed isn't everything.... i have a i7 840 at my home computer. If you look up passmark CPU benchmark scores it puts that and the i3 6100 pretty much neck and neck for overall performance.  the i3 would be still better since its individual cores are better, thus more applications and games can make the best use of them rather than the 4 cores and 8 threads that the i7 has.

Core count isn't everything. mainstream CPU's have been 1-8 cores FOREVER (up to 4 on intel side since they have hyperthreading to give them their artificial 8). Yet an older i7 cannot even compare to a current i7, and is instead only comparable to an i3 because of its improved architecture and IPC (instructions per clock).

I don't know about the Pentium, but the i3 6100 is certainly better. and is highly upgradeable going forward (you have all of skylake to choose from, and kaby lake if your motherboard manufacturer releases a BIOS update for it.

I don't trust this website, but I feel like it almost has something right for once. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G4500-vs-AMD-FX-8350  I plan on getting the G4500 since I can afford something just a tad bit more powerful.

3 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

I don't trust this website, but I feel like it almost has something right for once. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G4500-vs-AMD-FX-8350  I plan on getting the G4500 since I can afford something just a tad bit more powerful.

No idea how that delusional site believes the g4500 has better single core performance than the 6600k lol.

That ridiculous review aside, the G4500 should be a fine CPU to use for everything except the most intense CPU applications. You MAY not be able to run some video games that require 4 cores though. If you intend to game you might need to get the i3 6100, as its hyper threading qualifies as 4 cores for those games.

But assuming you aren't going to be doing that, then the Pentium will be totally fine =). If you shop around you might be able to get a used or open box i3 6100 somewhere if you really needed it

29 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

No idea how that delusional site believes the g4500 has better single core performance than the 6600k lol.

That ridiculous review aside, the G4500 should be a fine CPU to use for everything except the most intense CPU applications. You MAY not be able to run some video games that require 4 cores though. If you intend to game you might need to get the i3 6100, as its hyper threading qualifies as 4 cores for those games.

But assuming you aren't going to be doing that, then the Pentium will be totally fine =). If you shop around you might be able to get a used or open box i3 6100 somewhere if you really needed it

Just now, AceTaker said:

All right. just check your game requirements. some newer games REQUIRE 4 cores and will not work on a Pentium. And when i say 'require" and "will not work" I mean they simply do not start up. Check your game specifications before pulling this trigger. of the games that don't require 4 cores, a Pentium G4500 will do just fine.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

There's apparently a program that lets dual-cores run on a quad-core game. I think I would be fine in the meantime.

2 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

There's apparently a program that lets dual-cores run on a quad-core game. I think I would be fine in the meantime.

Alright. good luck.