PS4 Pro Insane Value Or Hoax?

PCTechNoob

So after a video on the PS4 Pro popped up on my Youtube homepage, I thought I'd do a bit of research regarding the new console and what I found has me a bit confused.

I am currently running a 4+ year old low-end system and in desperate need of an upgrade. I was expecting to build a new PC once AMD Zen releases however, I'm now considering a console after not considering one for a long time.

From what I found, the PS4 Pro is releasing at around £350

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-4-Pro-1TB/dp/B01GVQVL0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473441436&sr=8-1&keywords=PS4+Pro

Now from what I have seen, the PS4 Pro is supposed to put out a resolution higher than 1080p, now I dought it will hit its 4k target but even running games at 1080p + is still a large achievement for that price.

I hopped on PC Part Picker and threw together a PC for a very similar price, but only managed an Intel Pentium and an RX 460!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sc789W

Now a Pentium and an RX 480 is nowhere NEAR enough power to run at even 1440p. It may even struggle with some titles at 1080p. And even if my build is rubbish, it still shows that its going to be hard to get similar performance for a similar price.

Now I understand the "games on PC are cheaper" and "the initial cost of a PC is high but after that you make your money back" arguments, but even if you build a PC for TWICE the price, it will still struggle to run games at GOOD 1440p and 4k.

A lot of people recommend the GTX 1070 for 1440p+ gaming, and the 1070 on its own its more expensive than the PS4 Pro.

So are Sony offering higher resolutions but with a loss of graphical quality and frame rate, (like 4k but everything on low) or have Sony produced a superb bang for the buck 1080p+ gaming machine? Or is it all just lies and deception?

Console hardware is often sold at a loss, since they can make money off game sales instead. PC hardware doesn't work that way, but on the other hand we generally get cheaper games.

As for the hardware in the PS4, the CPU is still very, very weak. It's 8 cores, but they're based on the low-performance Jaguar architecture. It's overall somewhat comparable with a Pentium CPU.

The GPU in it is weaker than an RX 470 but stronger than an RX 460.

So either it will render games at much less than 4K, or the graphical effects will be reduced dramatically.

It will play games better at 1080p then the ps4 but 4k will be upscaled mostly I think(even though it supports the output...) which is what the ps4 does now with games it can't run at 1080p native. It will be better but not sure by how much. I would still get one if I didn't have a ps4 already.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

5 hours ago, swordsman247 said:

It will play games better at 1080p then the ps4 but 4k will be upscaled mostly I think(even though it supports the output...) which is what the ps4 does now with games it can't run at 1080p native. It will be better but not sure by how much. I would still get one if I didn't have a ps4 already.

This. Plus the better performance on psvr. 

The whole system with the vr headset and the tracking camera is 50€ cheaper than an HTC Vive alone. (at least where I live)

And I can now finally play all the exclusive titles that I was never able to play before. Especially with Microsoft releasing a lot of exclusives to pc.

Amazing times we live in. ;)

I once had one of these, now I've got this.