Fiber vs Copper

C_roe

I was wondering what is going to get me a petter ping: fibre with 25.000 kbit/s upload or copper with 50.000 kbit/s.

Fiber will get you the lowest latency. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

38 minutes ago, C_roe said:

I was wondering what is going to get me a petter ping: fibre with 25.000 kbit/s upload or copper with 50.000 kbit/s.

There are a lot of factors to consider, but assuming all other factors are equal, Fibre tends to have the lowest latency.

Though if your upload over "copper" is 50,000 kbit/s, then that's probably hybrid Copper (Also known as FTTN - or Fibre to the Node), so the copper line just runs down the block to the junction box (the "Node"), and which point a fibre line runs the rest of the way to the ISP's network anyway. With these FTTN networks, your latency is gonna be pretty similar (though still possibly higher) than Fibre. But it probably won't be a huge difference.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I assume you have one or the other solution now (assuming it's copper). Whatever your cable modem is plugged in to (router or directly to a PC) look at the ip information and note the gateway. Then just ping it and check the latency. If you're under 10ms then you're golden.

Yes- I agree with a lot of this. But, one of the things you can also argue for Fibre is that it's not going to fry your network if you have electricity problems like Copper will, it's not gonna catch on fire, and it's going to generally last quite a bit longer than Copper will. I'd recommend you put fibre in as many important parts of your network as you can, and connect everything else through Copper if there's a small budge. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

5 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

Yes- I agree with a lot of this. But, one of the things you can also argue for Fibre is that it's not going to fry your network if you have electricity problems like Copper will, it's not gonna catch on fire, and it's going to generally last quite a bit longer than Copper will. I'd recommend you put fibre in as many important parts of your network as you can, and connect everything else through Copper if there's a small budge. 

This post doesn't necessarily apply. If he's using a home setup for his network, there's literally no reason to have Fibre inside the LAN - the cost isn't worth it, and frankly, the durability and longevity of copper for LAN networks is quite robust.

Also the risk of your copper based network catching fire, or even getting damaged at all, is not very high. Perhaps in some countries with unreliable power grids, but most shouldn't ever have an issue.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This post doesn't necessarily apply. If he's using a home setup for his network, there's literally no reason to have Fibre inside the LAN - the cost isn't worth it, and frankly, the durability and longevity of copper for LAN networks is quite robust.

Also the risk of your copper based network catching fire, or even getting damaged at all, is not very high. Perhaps in some countries with unreliable power grids, but most shouldn't ever have an issue.

Well- that changes it a bit. If it's a home network then I can't really endorse the added speed and reliability that Fibre provides over Copper. I was just putting those points out there for anyone wondering about it for bigger networks.

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

8 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

Well- that changes it a bit. If it's a home network then I can't really endorse the added speed and reliability that Fibre provides over Copper. I was just putting those points out there for anyone wondering about it for bigger networks.

True - some larger businesses may feel the need to use Fibre as backbone between switches, etc.

At work, we use private fibre lines (They're running at 1Gbps but are capable of 10Gbps or possibly more) in between our branch locations throughout the city. Internally at each branch though we're using Cat6a at 1Gbps between all equipment. We may eventually upgrade internally to 10Gbps, but the equipment costs are pretty high so that won't be happening for a few years at minimum.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

True - some larger businesses may feel the need to use Fibre as backbone between switches, etc.

At work, we use private fibre lines (They're running at 1Gbps but are capable of 10Gbps or possibly more) in between our branch locations throughout the city. Internally at each branch though we're using Cat6a at 1Gbps between all equipment. We may eventually upgrade internally to 10Gbps, but the equipment costs are pretty high so that won't be happening for a few years at minimum.

Yeah, exactly. Though as an instructor of mine put it- you want to fork the bill on getting Fibre for those essential switch to router and all of your other networking connections due to the fact that if you have any large electrical failure it won't catch on fire or damage your equipment, and it will also last longer and give you more uptime- along with that availability you mentioned that it brings you.

Though, basically none of those things are stuff you're going to have to worry about for home networks.