Spreading big Programs over more SSD or HDD

TheOne1080

Hey guys,

I had this idea in mind and I was wondering if it actually would work..

So let's say I have 2 very heavy and big programs which will launch at startup. And I also have either 2 SSD's or 2 HDD's. Would they both start faster when spreading the programs on more Drives instead of all on 1 drive? For example: Program 1 on HDD 1 and Program 2 on HDD 2. I would say yes, they would start up quicker as let's say the data needed is 600mb per program. The HDD is 60mb/s. 

So starting both programs fully at just 1 drive would take 20 seconds (1200mb devided by 60). But if you spread them between 2 HDD's You would get 60 mb/s on both, and you would actually halve the loading time. each HDD will need 10 seconds.

(The numbers are just an example)

So I was wondering, does this thing I have in mind actually work this way? Or does HDD 2 have to wait till HDD 1 has finished loading?

Well, there's RAID 0, but then the disks won't work separately, but rather as a single volume. I bet it's possible, using some sort of RAID.

You're assuming that it's completely linear when launching the program when it may not be. But yes, having data read from both drives at the same time would allow for better performance. This is the idea behind RAID 0 - half the data is on one drive, while the other half is on the other drive(if you're using two drives in the configuration), and both are read, which gives additional throughput.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch