Theory on why MacBooks are the go-to laptop for college students

AustinTheIntern

Because apple is a fashion company, they sell fashion accessories and no one wants to be unfashionable, particularly if you are a young idealistic college student.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'll just leave this here:

thinkpad-w530-01.jpg

Mother of god, I have a friend who has one. Please tell me you use that 'nipple' thing in the middle?

Mother of god, I have a friend who has one. Please tell me you use that 'nipple' thing in the middle?

absolutely. 

32GB i7 Quadro masterpiece :P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

absolutely. 

32GB i7 Quadro masterpiece :P

Glorious, and nothing less.

love how you put quotes around nipple ... sorry just had to say that

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

love how you put quotes around nipple ... sorry just had to say that

The actual name escapes me and my friends and I just call it a 'nipple thing' out of spite, so I've never learnt what it's called lol.

theory ?

every one knows the reason

least susceptible to viruses etc because no one bothers making ones for OSX  

long battery life

ive seen collages that lock down windows laptops so users cant install anything

i own an Thinkpad T530

and i will  never be a fanboy of anything

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I mean the bootcamp drivers are installed to get like the backlight and apple buttons working, but the only OS on the machine is Windows 7.

Sounds magical :D

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

People think the apple logo puts them in the unicorn riding master race that is fapple.

I'll just leave this here:

thinkpad-w530-01.jpg

How old is this? 20 years? 30 years?

Take a look at this piece of beauty:

mba-560x337.png

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Because Macbooks are extremely well built.  They were the first CONSUMER laptop that wasn't built like crap and looked gorgeous (macbook pros/airs).

Also:

-great battery life

-BEST trackpad

-most comfortable keyboard

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

How old is this? 20 years? 30 years?

Take a look at this piece of beauty:

mba-560x337.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5kXgAHCyI

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

There is clearly something wrong with that Thinkpad. It has a hole in the bottom and makes a huge mess on that tablet. The Macbook on the other hand contains all the purposely poured water inside it's beautiful aluminium containment. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I poured a whole glass of water over the keyboard of my Macbook some years ago. Turned it around, let it dry and it worked for years without a problem ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Fashion symbol pure as, same reason people wear Jack Wills instead of no-brand, fashion doesn't need a reason.

But I agree that at least spending the money for a MacBook you get near enough what you pay for, unlike most other fashion brands (Beats).

I think it's a very american thing to see a massive lecture hall full of students with laptops, here in the UK things tend to be more intimate esp with tutorials so you use pen and paper, I don't see many actually buying Macs (might be different in the US), people may want one but they know it can't do anything better so they'd rather save the money for other things, people don't go round comparing computers so no one cares.

Do any UK students see many laptops in lectures, and does it vary from large lecture hall and tutorial?

ive been windows for the last decade of my life. i've owned one laptop and i hated using it and i hated the build quality and processing power. 

as i matured and stopped hating on apple because it was cool to hate on them, i realised that apple products are great products. so when my girlfriend asked what laptop she should get, unexperienced on the os and not really using apple before, i still suggested her getting the 2013 air. she loves it now, and so do i. initial change was horrible as there are some significant changes between the two os's. 

when i had a chance to play on her air, i ended up just loving the experience. so when work asked me what laptop i'd prefer, i chose the MBP over everything.

so nice to produce work on, so quick and i have had NO problems in the last few weeks of using the laptop

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Apple doesn't market the Macbook as any of those. They market it as a beautiful laptop, which is what every single god damn person wants, you wouldn't marry an ugly woman solely for her intelligence.

Sure they do. It's what they do every time they implement a feature that's nothing spectacular or is even already a stadard across the industry, and call it the greatest revolution since their last greatest revolution. Remember what it was like when they switched to intel *like everyone else*? Ask most Mac users and they're convinced that "the intel" is a magical piece of technology that only macs have.

And for the cool/uncool part, well, we've all seen the -"I'm a Mac" -"And I'm a PC" videos...

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

Battery life. At the time (2009), that did it for me. Apple didn't really have much competition on that front. Admittedly i might have been a bit lucky, but my mid-2009 white macbook still gets a good 6-7 hours of mixed use!

Also well built, and at least where I am, my university offered sweet discounts through some sort of partnership they had for mac sales. 

And as far as general laptop use goes, i really really really like the gesture based interface on the touchpad. It makes laptop use without an external mouse much easier in terms of accessing /moving files. IMHO obviously.

*edit: i ignored those discounts and drove across the border to new hampshire and picked one up with a discount and no sales tax :D

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I went to visit a college a week ago and I only saw tablets with keyboard attachments. Personally when I go off to college I am going to try and get a razer blade or edge

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I can understand people having actual notebooks, in this case Macbooks but I see everyday dozens of people trying to make notes with their iPads. :D  It looks so funny when they try to quickly type text with touch screen. It just looks so difficult and frustrating. Still people do it.

Macbooks have some advantages. They have great battery life which is important, because you are most likely not able to charge your notebook during the day. Macbook Air is also very light and compact so it doesn't take too much space and it's not annoying to carry in your backpack. If you are actually concentrating in the lectures, you don't have time to play games and why would you even game on a laptop? I bet almost everyone here has a proper desktop for gaming or at least everyone prefers to play on a desktop. Also you have to remember, not everybody are gamers. So they don't need the specs.

I don't own any Apple products but I really see no reason to hate them. There are people who are happy with their macbooks. Most of the people don't really know anything about computers and the advantages that regular notebooks have over macbooks. They just see the macbook pretty and easy to use. Most of us here know better so honestly we are the wrong people to judge.

In a contrast I am quite regularly blown away how little people know about their cars and how much or little they spend on their cars. Some people take their car to be serviced at their local main dealer which is the most expensive way to service your car. Still people are happy to do so, because they don't know any better. Also there are people who don't want to spend a dime towards their car. So they skip on the service intervals and they use the cheapest tires available, just to save money. Tires are really important in a car and you really don't want to save at the wrong place. Still people do it, because they don't know better. Same applies to macbooks.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

In my district (high school right now) we tend to use Macs because we use a lot of apps that work better on them and (even though the school's Windows XP machines work extremely well with our network config) XP is gonna die soon. And you get the bragging rights of "Yeah, I own a Mac. Bite me." Too bad my new rig still beats the s*** out of macs for our 3D rendering in Sketchup.

EDIT: In the intermediate school last year, my Sketchup project was on my netbook so I brought it in, OC'd the core (which is an Atom N270) to 1.9GHz and the GMA 945 chip to 400MHz (up from 166) and it was keeping up pretty well with our desktops with 2.6GHz Core 2 Duos and mid-end Radeon HD 5xxx's, abeit at much lower graphical settings, system and program (1280x1024 vs 1024x600, 4GB of RAM vs 1GB, max Sketchup settings vs minimum).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sure they do. It's what they do every time they implement a feature that's nothing spectacular or is even already a stadard across the industry, and call it the greatest revolution since their last greatest revolution. Remember what it was like when they switched to intel *like everyone else*? Ask most Mac users and they're convinced that "the intel" is a magical piece of technology that only macs have.

And for the cool/uncool part, well, we've all seen the -"I'm a Mac" -"And I'm a PC" videos...

Let's look at the iPhone 5s with it's touch ID sensor.  When the HTC One MAX comes out, people will say, "Wow, such innovation." This adoption of technology goes both ways.  The only reason Apple didn't have intel CPU's in the laptops in the first place is because intel wouldn't make them a powerful Atom chip so they had to wait until intel decided to make one.  The reason? They didn't want their laptops to run out of battery as fast as a competitors.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I like my laptops (and women) a little rougher on the edges. Thinkpads fit the bill. They're extremely well-built (ABS plastic or magnesium alloy with an aluminum roll-cage), fairly well priced, and come with outstanding battery life when configured right. Resolution is the only downside, but then again, anything above 1080p on a 13-14" screen is nearly unnoticeable. 

In general, Apple products are "cool". College kids want to be seen as "cool". 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2