How long so you think it will be before macbooks have a touchscreen?

Apple keeps getting their asses handed to them, time and time again...

I seriously think macbooks could use a touchscreen, but from what I remember, OSX doesn't have any touch support.

Do you think apple will ever add touch support to their macbooks and perhaps other macs as well? Seems to me like the ipad pro was a result of this...

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Apple keeps getting their asses handed to them, time and time again...

I seriously think macbooks could use a touchscreen, but from what I remember, OSX doesn't have any touch support.

Do you think apple will ever add touch support to their macbooks and perhaps other macs as well? Seems to me like the ipad pro was a result of this...

No, they'd have to make it thicker to fit it in. /s

It'll never happen. You don't know what you want, Apple knows what you want. They're just going to focus on screwing over the consumer for maximum profits. 

Although i do have a soft spot for OSX, sue me. 

ASU

OSX has touch support, albeit extremely limited, and it also has limited stylus support (its how the axitron mod books were made). Also it'll never be made because it'll mean MS was right again (first being the stylus and the ipad).

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, potatoproduction said:

They wont at least not for a generation or 2 

they're strategy is if you want a touch screen get an ipad pro  

So you can play angry birds with a 100$ stylus xD

1) what's the point? even on windows it's a stretch to call it useful, it's kind of nice at best

2) I don't think they'll bother until they start making convertibles with ios. Oh wait, that's an ipad pro.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Anyone understand the point of the iPad pro? It's just a massive block that runs ios but they market it like it's a laptop. News flash, laptops run a real operating system. 

ASU

10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Anyone understand the point of the iPad pro? It's just a massive block that runs ios but they market it like it's a laptop. News flash, laptops run a real operating system. 

It has the same purpose as a Surface, except that iOS is better for touch than Windows. Not everyone needs access to the file system and/or a full version of windows. I have a SP3 exclusively for taking handwritten notes. I rarely use it for more than that or the occassional internet browsing (for when I don't have my laptop with me). So for my purposes, an iPad Pro would be just as good as a Surface/Surface Pro (and that's true for most users -- who access their word documents by going to recent documents in word and/or who use it for facebook). The only thing I don't like about the iPad Pro is the lack of a kickstand. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

1) what's the point? even on windows it's a stretch to call it useful, it's kind of nice at best

2) I don't think they'll bother until they start making convertibles with ios. Oh wait, that's an ipad pro.

58 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It has the same purpose as a Surface, except that iOS is better for touch than Windows. Not everyone needs access to the file system and/or a full version of windows. I have a SP3 exclusively for taking handwritten notes. I rarely use it for more than that or the occassional internet browsing (for when I don't have my laptop with me). So for my purposes, an iPad Pro would be just as good as a Surface/Surface Pro (and that's true for most users -- who access their word documents by going to recent documents in word and/or who use it for facebook). The only thing I don't like about the iPad Pro is the lack of a kickstand. 

I bought an inexpensive windows tablet to replace my nexus 7 2013 as my daily driver as far as tablets go, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. Windows 10 desktop beats android as far as I am concerned when used on a tablet. You can just do so much more.

I shot this video on my nexus 6p, and unfortunately, the damn audio and video were out of sync. After trying for an hour to get an app on android that could fix this, I just emailed it to myself and used windows movie maker on my tablet. Problem solved.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I bought an inexpensive windows tablet to replace my nexus 7 2013 as my daily driver as far as tablets go, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. Windows 10 desktop beats android as far as I am concerned when used on a tablet. You can just do so much more.

I shot this video on my nexus 6p, and unfortunately, the damn audio and video were out of sync. After trying for an hour to get an app on android that could fix this, I just emailed it to myself and used windows movie maker on my tablet. Problem solved.

But the question is, why a tablet to begin with? If you're going to use it as a laptop just get(/make) a laptop. I understand that convertibles are very cheap and light, but the touch screen is hardly their selling point.

This is coming from a guy who dual booted ubuntu and android on a 2012 nexus 7 for more than a year, I know the situation pretty well.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well, I personally really dislike Android on tablets. I had a Galaxy Note 8 and absolutely hated it -- I sold it after a few months and got an SP3. But I've used an iPad for a somewhat extended period and I didn't find it any better or worse than my SP3 -- again use case is everything -- for hand writing notes and going to LTT forums there isn't really any difference between the two. Although, the nice thing about my SP3 is that if I had an emergency and I needed to do some work, then I would either be able to SSH into my school's network, or open up a VM/IDE to do work (something I wouldn't be able to do on an iPad -- but also not something I've ever had to do on my SP3). 

Also, I would expect iOS to have a much better video editing app than Android. 

But it's also important to realize that I don't like tablets as a general rule. I find them useless (aside from taking handwritten notes).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I just don't understand the concept of a $1000+ iPad with ios. It just seems ridiculous to me, and seeing one in the real world is hilarious. It seems apple wants the iPad pro to be a laptop replacement/surface pro killer, but it's just not as powerful and versatile as either of those two. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a $1000 ios device when you can get something infinity more powerful and more useful for the same price. 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I just don't understand the concept of a $1000+ iPad with ios. It just seems ridiculous to me, and seeing one in the real world is hilarious. It seems apple wants the iPad pro to be a laptop replacement/surface pro killer, but it's just not as powerful and versatile as either of those two. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a $1000 ios device when you can get something infinity more powerful and more useful for the same price. 

Yeah, I paid far less than a tenth of that for my venue 8 pro. Sure, its no surface, but its damn fast and responsive...

10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well, first let's look at the $1000 models of both the SP4 and the iPad Pro.

The $1000 SP4  has an i5, 128gb, and 4gb ram.

The $1000 iPad Pro has an A9x, 256gb, and 4gb ram. (and the A9x is pretty damn powerful -- not quite as powerful as a dual core i5, but not "infinitely slower" either....unless I'm mistaken it's relatively similar to an m3).

So spec and price wise they're fairly competitive. The question is whether or not you need or want a full desktop OS or iOS, and both do have their advantages. A full desktop OS allows you access to the file system, better multitasking, and more/fuller programs. On the other hand, iOS is much better for touch, the splitscreen functionality is still good enough to satisfy most people's multitasking needs, and like I said before, a lot of people don't access the file system and would prefer the simplicity of a mobile OS. 

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah, I paid far less than a tenth of that for my venue 8 pro. Sure, its no surface, but its damn fast and responsive...

In all fairness, an iPad Pro isn't competing against a Venue 8 Pro (that's the iPad Mini's competition -- and the two are priced fairly similarly new).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler