Apple Announces the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

8 minutes ago, Mullion said:

Most people use wireless headphone now, and you can still use a normal jack 1/8 headphone with the adaptor.
It just make 1 less "big hole" in the phone wich is good for waterproofing, dust resistance and probably other stuff that i'm not aware.
IMO

samsung and sony did it with ip68 over ip67 years ago WITH headphone jack. What is ur point?

Most ppl use wirless headphone. What is the percentage? I bet more than half still use wired. The point is, removing it doesn't provide any benefit like at all. and it add inconvenience whether its the adapter tat is NOT handy or u cant charge phone and use the headphone at the same time. Plus you have to remember one more thing to charge, which most ppl just put it away in their bags and forget abt it.

I'm still sitting on an iPhone 6+, and am looking forward to upgrade at the end of the month.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

25 minutes ago, Mullion said:

Most people use wireless headphone now, and you can still use a normal jack 1/8 headphone with the adaptor.
It just make 1 less "big hole" in the phone wich is good for waterproofing, dust resistance and probably other stuff that i'm not aware.
IMO

tell me more about how removing the headphone makes it better for water proofing and dust resistance

samsung-kills-galaxy-s7-edge-plus-follow

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

36 minutes ago, Mullion said:

Most people use wireless headphone now

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/10/weekend-poll-what-kind-of-headphones-do-you-use-with-your-smartphone-wired-wireless/

No, most don't.

And for a poll on a tech site, that's pretty revealing. Less techie ppl may be daunted by the momentous task of pairing bluetooth devices. 

I use wireless headphones myself.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

34 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

-snip-

Yeah its true. The Iphone 7 and Iphone 7 Plus are likely to have the most colour accurate displays of any smartphone. What apple has adopted is a DCI-P3 that covers 93,6% of the DCI space, whereas AdobeRGB is 87% of the DCI space. 

Groomlake Authority

54 minutes ago, Mullion said:

IMO

Other phones, equally as thin, even smaller in body, despite the same screen size, are MORE water resistant than Apple new phone, and have a headphone plug.

49 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Let me quote from my source article:

The gamut that Apple uses on the iPhone 7 is much wider than Adobe sRGB and thus the iPhone 7 probably has the widest gamut of any smartphone on the market, and any Android smartphone that attempts to use a different gamut than sRGB often has the color accuracy become crap. Let me quote from Anandtech's LG v20 hands on:

And thus, the iPhone 7 has what is most likely the widest color gamut of any smartphone on the market.

Adobe sRGB isn't the widest gamut compared to other standards. That's correct. By "cinema wide gamut," though, Apple is referring to DCI-P3, which happens to be part of the "other standards" group that is wider than sRGB.

No. You are ASSUMING they mean DCI-P3.

Also you forget that you have 0 content that is wide gamut to start with. All games, all apps, all standard image formats (jpg, png) are all

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Also you forget that you have 0 content that is wide gamut to start with. All games, all apps, all standard image formats (jpg, png) are all

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10658/apple-announces-iphone-7-iphone-7-plus-a10-fusion-soc-new-camera-wide-color-gamut-preorders-start-sept-9th

"This includes a new SoC – the A10 Fusion – new camera options, IP67 water resistance, and top-to-bottom support for both wide color gamut (DCI-P3) displays and photography."

Also you forget that you have 0 content that is wide gamut to start with. All games, all apps, all standard image formats (jpg, png) are all 8-bit.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10658/apple-announces-iphone-7-iphone-7-plus-a10-fusion-soc-new-camera-wide-color-gamut-preorders-start-sept-9th

"This includes a new SoC – the A10 Fusion – new camera options, IP67 water resistance, and top-to-bottom support for both wide color gamut (DCI-P3) displays and photography."

Yes... water resistance has EVERYTHING to do with wide gamut. What world do you live in?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes... water resistance has EVERYTHING to do with wide gamut. What world do you live in?

Fuckin what? 

"No. You are ASSUMING they mean DCI-P3."

""This includes a new SoC – the A10 Fusion – new camera options, IP67 water resistance, and top-to-bottom support for both wide color gamut (DCI-P3) displays and photography.""

What are you smoking?

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

What are the chances they wouldnt be using it :/? They used that colour rendition in the IMac 5K last time, but yeah a 5K display. AdobeRGB at least then? sRGB cant be since they already had 100% on that one, according to DisplayMate. Think theyll tell us soon?

Groomlake Authority

15 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

What are the chances they wouldnt be using it :/? They used that colour rendition in the IMac 5K last time, but yeah a 5K display. AdobeRGB at least then? sRGB cant be since they already had 100% on that one, according to DisplayMate. Think theyll tell us soon?

We will see. But even if it did deliver DCI-P3, and you can take pictures with such wide gamut, your pictures colors will look wrong on any other system or printer, as they don't support DCI-P3, as the screen and printer can't replicate the colors. Of course, you would need to use PhotoShop to view the content, and you'll be working with RAW images, as JPEGs and PNGs (standard format) are 8-bit colors, so they can't acheive wider gamut without skipping some colors.

7 hours ago, skywake said:

Well there's moving the industry forward and then there's removing stuff that was actually useful.

When we went from serial connectors to USB we didn't lose anything. USB actually brought quite a lot to the table including the ability to power devices. When we went from analogue media to digital media we didn't lose anything. We actually gained the ability to skip to particular sections automatically. When we swapped from physical media to digital we didn't lose anything. Again, we gained a lot in the form of convenience and more flexible business models. 

Probably the most disruptive thing Apple did before this was the iPhone. They decided not to have physical buttons but instead went with a multi-touch display. And you know what? We didn't really lose anything. The buttons were still there and they didn't cost extra, they were just virtual buttons now. And in exchange for that we got quite a lot. We got an entirely new style of phone which has rightfully become the standard.

Removing the headphone jack? We don't get anything out of that. Any proprietary headphones they could make could exist even if the headphone jack remained. They argue that they're doing this so they can have extra space in the phone. But since when are phones bulky? Removing a thing is not innovative. It's kinda like how you can get laptops without an Ethernet jack. You can argue reasons why the laptop lacks the Ethernet jack if you want... but don't call it a feature.

Unless you take out the jack other newer methods will stagnate, and the industry will keep putting out 3.5mm products. 

Listening to audio doesn't use that much power. Worse case is you have to buy a future Lightening/3.5MM splitter or just not listen to music for 30 minutes. 

What are you gaining? As Apple and other manufacturers drop the 3.5MM jack you will have more options that don't use an old as dirt analog system. Also, with this type of phone people did give up something...phones used to last days between charges, and now we get less than a day with constant use. RAZR's and Blackberry's had way longer battery life than any iPhone or Galaxy does today. 

I don't care about the lack of a headphone jack the only thing that's stopped me from getting wireless earbuds was sound quality and I assume they'll be the same quality as the earbuds which sound fine to me.

Wireless headphones if they have exactly the same sound quality as a wire counterpart is just better, more expensive I'm sure but I'm willing to pay.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Reviews don't lie.

"cinema wide gamut"?! HAHAHA! Wow did I miss that?

What does that even mean? I guess it fails to reach AdobeRGB which isn't very wide gamut compared to other standards, so they call it "cinema wide gamut"

Also, OLED screen are wide gamut. The only reason why wide gamut is not common on the PC space, is that people buy 6-bit panels with white LED back light, and low cost CRT monitors beck in the days, so that defined the standard gamut.

Yes... just imagine how candy crush will run now. Wow! I mean you had to see how many fps minesweeper was running when I got a GeForce 1080.

Reviews don't lie? I physically have an iPhone 6 and 6s, as well as plenty of experience with APSC and Full Frame DSLRs and mirrorless .. The iPhone has a good camera 

Read the reviews yourself, DXO, anandtech and loads of real photographers rate it highly

heck I have my own photos as proof it's good and you can see millions more online 

the display is still pretty high ppi, and cinema DCI-P3 covers 93% of Adobe RGB while being more useful since that is the standard that cinema projectors and 4K TVs use so you can be more colour accurate for real world use 

candy crush? Clearly you have never seen the awesome gaming scene on iPhones, heck I have full ports of max Payne and bioshock on my phone!!! As well as games like transistor, and some of the awesome iOS only games made with metal 

also for processing and and editing 4K on the fly, even imported from proper cameras when travelling etc 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not sure how I feel about it.

Good:

• Finally Apple moves to big.LITTLE. Was about time. Now hopefully people (who are very wrong) will stop telling me that big.LITTLE is bad and that everyone should just "make efficient big cores like Apple".
  • The move to P3 (with color management) is fantastic. I really hope this becomes a standard for all phones (and PCs as well) soon. Or well... I hope Rec 2020 becomes the standard. It would be pretty bad if we ended up having to change color space twice in a quite short amount of time.
  • The camera will be interesting to see how it performs. I like that they have finally added OIS to the none-plus model as well. Felt like they were ripping off people before.
  • Good to see that 32GB is now the smallest version. It was long overdue.
  • Good to see that it is water resistant.
  • Nice that they added stereo speakers.

Bad:

• Holy shit Apple went full retard and actually removed the 3.5mm jack. How anyone with more than half a brain-cell can think this is good is beyond me. I've had nightmares that are tamer than this. Fuck you Apple and anyone who agrees that this is anything but a terrible thing.

Lots of great improvements, but I am so against the removal of the headphone jack that I think the phone is shit.

Fuck you Apple for ruining an otherwise good phone.

@LAwLz i agree with with the good points plus all the other improvements like waterproofing camera features etc ... Now the headphone jack I'm on the fence, if there are genuine improvements going to none 3.5mm (there seems to be with better dacs built in headphones etc) then whoop I'm all for moving forwards, but lightening is not the way to do it mostly because it only works on iPhone and iPad, can't even plug them into a MacBook!!! If they could find a way to move to USB C and the whole industry did, I'd be all for that, and move to wireless charging so we charge and connect at the same time (or use a USB C splitter for stuff)

persoanlly it's annoying and I will not be buying lightening headphones and I don't really like Bluetooth either though I might get a £100 pair just for convenience at work / travel, I'll just have to fuck around with a bloody adapter 

it's not enough to put me off, the rest of the phone seems to tick every box for me, the design, waterproof, better display, camera etc - all what I want 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

15 hours ago, Dionyz said:

All of apple products will become slower as newer updates release. Here is how the iphone 4s got wrecked by the updates.

Tell me about it. I wanted to throw mine few times already this wk out of the window! Really need to get a new phone

16 hours ago, Dionyz said:

All of apple products will become slower as newer updates release. Here is how the iphone 4s got wrecked by the updates.

My Samsung Galaxy S(Original 2010  GT-I900) was slow even with it's original software. I heard someone got Lollipop running on it... if you wanna talk about getting wrecked. I have cabinet full (I work in app development and test across whatever models of devices we use at this company) of other android devices here from bygone times. They're all pretty shitty with their latest supported updates. 

For reference: Samsung Galaxy S was released in the same year as the iPhone 4. 

iOS runs pretty well on old devices compared to Android running on old devices.

I expect you to also complain about a 286 when updated to Windows 10 next.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Let me quote from my source article:

The gamut that Apple uses on the iPhone 7 is much wider than Adobe sRGB and thus the iPhone 7 probably has the widest gamut of any smartphone on the market, and any Android smartphone that attempts to use a different gamut than sRGB often has the color accuracy become crap. Let me quote from Anandtech's LG v20 hands on:

And thus, the iPhone 7 has what is most likely the widest color gamut of any smartphone on the market.

Adobe sRGB isn't the widest gamut compared to other standards. That's correct. By "cinema wide gamut," though, Apple is referring to DCI-P3, which happens to be part of the "other standards" group that is wider than sRGB.

That's friggen awesome to hear! I could care less about 1440p on a ~5" screen so I'm glad Apple did something more tangible by increasing the color space. The display is probably more accurate than my monitors.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You must be joking.

From The Verge:

The phone is ONLY water resistant IP67, which means NOTHING. All phones are water resistant. We all used our phone, or aged old MP3 player at the time when it is raining, or drop it on snow, etc. The Galaxy S7 is water IP68, pretty much water proof, making ideal for using your phone in your shower, or under water as you swim. (but is more for kids taking parent phone and dropping it in water, which the Samsung phone can handle just fine due to its certification).

Yes all phones are water splash resistant. That's what you meant and IT is DIFFERENT from being water resistant. 

1 vs 1.5 meter isnt a huge difference and no even Samsung doesnt advertise that S7 is the perfect phone to take underwater videos.

And if you read what you actually typed again, you should notice that your countering your own argument. You first come up with everything is water resistant and then complement Samsung for having a fully water proof phone which is far from truth. So please, its embarrassing for a mod to go fanboying about Apple when everyone knows he would do the exact opposite if it ever was a Windows phone

The Nexus 6P is the exact same thickness as the iPhone 7 Plus, and HAS the headphone jack.

The iPhone 7 Plus has the same thickness of iPhone 6 Plus which has an headphone jack. So stop trying to misinform people that apple did this only to make their devices thinner which I believe they wouldn't from now onward

I read people comparing it to optical disk drive, but the problem is that optical disk drive where removed in a period where everyone has the Internet, it is well established and most have decent speed/service. People were no longer using their drives.

People used to use optical drives widely enough that people were pissed atleast for a couple of years. The usage of optical drives significantly reduced after other manufactures followed apple and abandoned it.

Headphone jacks are STILL WIDELY used. So now you are stuck with wireless earphones on Bluetooth that suck, Apple wireless headphone that cost a fortune for the same shitty 10$ (sold at 40$) earphone sound at 160$, with barely 5h battery life.

From the first impression everyone was pretty impressed with sound quality especially with a lot novel features included. Also I see that your mind is raging with anger cause you just judged a product like a fact before it even released to the public. 5 hr, isnt as good, but the fact that everyone owning this will be carrying it in a 24 hr battery backup case makes up for it.

And please this is the only way to move forward and I hope you stick to your arguments when the next to next windows phone comes out

AND you can't use them on another device.  Sure you can use the adapter, but you better order a bunch, because I can assure you, it will break due to the twisting it it well get from inserting the phone in your pocket or bag in and out, multiple times. Try and plug your charging cable on your phone right now, and put it on your packet and sit down. No problem with earphones, but you'll be going "Oh shit! oh shit! oh shit", as you feel the pressure applying on the charging cable as you are sitting down, probably will break you phone, and not to mention that it will be annoying feel, because the adapter will be so clunky. No problem with standard headphone jack.

Why would I order a bunch. Ill just attach it full time to the earphones I use regularly and I never have to worry about breaking it or exploding (because you make it seem like its a bomb). Unless you live in stoneage, wires these days dont break by getting it in and out of your bag/pocket. The adapter acts as a direct attachment, and it wouldn't be in any way clunky

Rest of what you said is BS, as everyone can clearly see you going on a rampage

And what about accessories. They are many accessories, like credit card card swiper/reader that many small businesses uses, that uses the the headphone jack. Now, they can't charge or use a battery bank if they get a replacement card reader. They have to stop their business mid day, going "Oh, the phone is charging.. sorry come back in several hours, especially that there is no fast charging or wireless charging on this device"

Okay, one not many people use iPhones as credit card machines. Second, iPhones never needed fast charging as their battery capacities are really low and and seen with Note7 (despite being faulty) fast charging is never good for a battery. WIreless charging is not actual wireless charging and it has proved to be not all that great in a long term 

The camera is also unimpressive, it is about the same as the old one which is pretty pathetic for a phone at this price range. Just about any premium phone, even Microsoft Lumia 950 / 950 XL destroys Apple best offering, and that is almost 1 year old phone, and cheaper.

What are bullshitting yourself right now?!I get that you hate iPhones but dont go crazy fanboy all over it

iPhones always had the best cameras from the time of 4S and 6S still has one of the best cameras only beaten by S7 which is a 2016 phone. Don't bring those stupid lumia phones to this conversation as everyone except you know those shitty phones sucks at everything. The camera on the 7, I promise is you is going to be leaps and bounds better just becasue the fact that Apple highlighted it alot when they usually dont. Dont worry, Ill come back to you in about 2 weeks when reviews start pouring in

The iPhone still uses an IPS display, while OLED is now pretty much standard, and to top things off, look at the other dimensions.

Haven't you heard about production issues in a large scale. Dont pretend you havent, because there have been so many iPhone rumor threads here. And anyways the LCD on the iPhones are almost as close as OLEDs (save for true blacks & power efficiency) in terms of color accuracy. And btw it is DCI-P3 which you keep denying for some reason. 

The 9.7"iPad Pro has the best display according to Displaymate and I expect iPhone 7 to be a no slouch either here

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/12/displaymate-ipad-pro-9-7-inch/

The phone has a large border. Look at the width and height compared to the Galaxy S7 Edge Phone. The Galaxy is SMALLER, yet sports the same screen size. AND has expandable memory up to 256GB micro SD card, which you can get freaking fast ones, which getting the phone AND a fast memory card is cheaper than the iPhone S7 Plus 256GB.

Large border is due to the home button which they will be getting rid of next year. and you have to preserve the upper bezel due to symmetry which is what people like (scientifically proven)

And is MIcroSD as fast as NVMe? I doubt so, plus I'm pretty sure 90% will be happy with 128GB model

Do I need to continue?

Oh and I think Apple knew that their presentation and product had nothing ... I mean to bring Nintendo on stage to get media attention... how many millions Apple paid? And honestly, Nintendo got more attention than Apple. And it shows that the game, probably partially paid by Apple to get exclusivity (and probably made by 1-2 people at Nintendo, as all those runner gamers are made, especially that all the art work is done already), I mean look at the presentation that Nintendo did, they didn't really care. I saw Nintendo do a better job with the reveal of the WiiU.

Well they did have alot of things and Nintendo was due to launch in smartphones some time and Apple took advantage of it. Sadly Microsoft didnt get the same idea

15 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Honestly.. in these days.. no one cares about benchmarks. Phone CPUs/GPUs are powerful enougth. It all comes down to OS optimization. Android got massively better, now Android on low end phones providing you a super fast and fluid experience is a thing, Windows Phone has shown in the past and still showing that a 150$ phone can give you the same fast and responsive experience as an iPhone, and that was back then. Everything runs fine these days. So there is no point.

But the fact remains that super fast fluid interface lasts for max 30 days especially with mid range to lower models. Windows phone at $150 sucks. The experience is horrible. My friend's brother has one and he still regrets it (Lumia 430 or something)

Hey and why should Intel keep improving their CPUs as their Pentium lineup is enough to run facebook?

Your arguments get more and more absurd as you go on. Please stop, and get some sleep

15 hours ago, Dionyz said:

Does your android  phone get updates after 2 years of its launch.I believe no

And as for your statement I believe a simple 5th grader can explain to you why it gets slower

10 hours ago, Bsmith said:

quite disappointing that is whole event was set up for just the iPhone 7, apple is really going the right way when it comes to completely forgetting their laptop/macbook line up. most people are already annoyed enough by the fact that there are 2y+ old CPU's inside.

They always refresh their Macbooks in October event. September is solely for iPhones and Apple Watch like how WWDC is solely for software. And dont worry, there's a huge macbook refresh coming soon

There is indeed some courage needed to leave such an old (and kinda outdated) standard, but stuff like that drives the market forward, people are saying that apple stopped innovating or pushing new things as the first, well now they did, but they didn't really do it properly if you ask me.

Exactly my point. People just dont seem to understand that the only way to forcibly move forward is to abandon what is stopping it from the first place

@GoodBytes I used to respect you as you're the one who helped with changing my Windows from BIOS to UEFI installation. And I still do (although a somewhat lesser degree now). Why, because of your completely clouded mindset. Some people call me an Apple fanboy, but I always give a reason as to why I like it in the first place. You seem to go off rail and completely use FALSE claims in order to undermine the iPhone 7. I get it that your're frustrated with Microsoft because they arent doing shit with the phones, but dont take it out on companies that are truly innovating (and no i dont mean only apple, but others like samsung too) or making something that's actually worthwhile to talk about

58 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

People just dont seem to understand that the only way to forcibly move forward is to abandon what is stopping it from the first place

The death of the PC came when Apple and Microsoft started bundling mice with every computer. How dare they add PS/2 ports to my motherboards! Where's my beloved AT port for my classic Model M?!

/sarcasm

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Exactly my point. People just dont seem to understand that the only way to forcibly move forward is to abandon what is stopping it from the first place

How is the 3.5mm jack stopping anything?

I have absolutely no idea how anyone can even say the 3.5mm headphone jack is outdated. Can anyone give me valid reasons why it is outdated? Can anyone give me legitimate reasons why it is holding us back? I challenge you Apple fanboys to justify this retarded move.