Apple Announces the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

8 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Jet black looks amazing though! If I was buying the phone I'd get that one, even it says it's prone to scratches more. Also awesome maximum storage capacity you can get.

Personally I think it looks ugly and that black looks the best :D though I've always liked metal finishes and hated plastic or glossy ones sooooo I guess I'm a bit biased :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 hours ago, Dionyz said:

All of apple products will become slower as newer updates release. Here is how the iphone 4s got wrecked by the updates.

The flipside of that is a 5 year old phone getting all updates except iOS10 and later

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Nothing new with the designs, sign! I think they are saving the new design for next year to celebrate 10 years Apple anniversary, anyway iphone 7 looks like a iphone 6SS to me xD

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

- MJ - 

9 minutes ago, skywake said:

Nintendo did it 10 years ago.... and it was just as stupid back then

I was talking purely about phones. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 hours ago, Anir said:

Good to see apple upgrade to quad core, finally some good multitasking :-)

The multitasking was already better than the competition.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I was talking purely about phones. :P

and I was taking the piss :)

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If it still takes phone calls like my last iphone I will get it.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

I don't, my speakers are wireless, my headphones got the big connector, my speakers use dolby connection and I use a special device to listen too music through my hearing aids through bluetooth.

or a simple adapter that costs $9.00(or cheaper from 3rd party when they come) if you want to keep using your wired earbuds/headphones.

an adapter actually comes in the box 

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I like the Apple Watch and the new one seems a good upgrade specially being waterproof 

but even the old gen one now, £269 is pretty good 

the old one got the possessor update as well from now on so its basically a non waterproof version

47 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Personally I think it looks ugly and that black looks the best :D though I've always liked metal finishes and hated plastic or glossy ones sooooo I guess I'm a bit biased :P 

couldn't agree more with you the glossy looks dumb for something your going to hold all the damn time if you look at some of the press videos from yesterday they where apple employees whos where just polishing them non stop so they didn't look shit on camera :P matte black all the way im so glad they brought black back as the black iphone 5 was my favorite iphone colour ever and space grey has gradually got lighter and lighter to the point where you turn a silver iphone and a grey one over and there basically the same  

I lurk a lot

So are we getting 24-bit/96kHz Hi-res audio or is the lightning port headphones just to make you buy their earpod when you brake or loose the stock ones?

4 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

the 6s camera is already really good, and the 7 looks better in every way, property 5 axis image stabilisation for smooth video and to help slow shutter speeds, really good 4K video and slow nothing 

dunno how the hell its "unimpressive" eapecially as you have never used or seen it

Reviews don't lie.

the new display is not OLED but it does have cinema wide gamut !

"cinema wide gamut"?! HAHAHA! Wow did I miss that?

What does that even mean? I guess it fails to reach AdobeRGB which isn't very wide gamut compared to other standards, so they call it "cinema wide gamut"

Also, OLED screen are wide gamut. The only reason why wide gamut is not common on the PC space, is that people buy 6-bit panels with white LED back light, and low cost CRT monitors beck in the days, so that defined the standard gamut.

also the phone will be insanely powerful for games better battery life than before (my 6 generally lasts a day of normal use)

Yes... just imagine how candy crush will run now. Wow! I mean you had to see how many fps minesweeper was running when I got a GeForce 1080.

everyone really needs to stop whining about the headphone jack on the rare occasion that i use headphones i just use the earpods that come in the box or if im on a plane or train or something ill use a pair of ath mx50s so since they give you a new pair of earpods and they give you an adapter (ill probably buy a black 3rd party one for aesthetics but still) i dont see what the problem is i have bluetooth in my car and a full netowrk of air play boxes in my house hooked up to every stereo in the house and ue boom for the rooms that don't have a stereo like the bathroom so in day to day life i rarely use headphones with my phone its honestly not a big deal and something like the athm50x with detachable wires i'm sure you'll be able get a 3rd party lighting to the 2mm (or whatever it is) cable with a dac in it 

I lurk a lot

Seems like a very very nice phone. I hope it will lower the price of the 6 and 6s... 
The removal of the headphone jack is a good design idea, allowing the phone to be "more" waterproof and dust resistant, it's still usable with an adaptor via the power slot.

3 minutes ago, Mullion said:

Seems like a very very nice phone. I hope it will lower the price of the 6 and 6s... 
The removal of the headphone jack is a good idea, it's still usable with an adaptor via the power slot.

yep the 6s is now £500 of 32gb previously £550 for 16gb

I lurk a lot

7 minutes ago, peej said:

everyone really needs to stop whining about the headphone jack on the rare occasion that i use headphones i just use the earpods that come in the box or if im on a plane or train or something ill use a pair of ath mx50s so since they give you a new pair of earpods and they give you an adapter (ill probably buy a black 3rd party one for aesthetics but still) i dont see what the problem is i have bluetooth in my car and a full netowrk of air play boxes in my house hooked up to every stereo in the house and ue boom for the rooms that don't have a stereo like the bathroom so in day to day life i rarely use headphones with my phone its honestly not a big deal and something like the athm50x with detachable wires i'm sure you'll be able get a 3rd party lighting to the 2mm (or whatever it is) cable with a dac in it 

It is because you are staying at home most of the time. Some people like to listen to music when they go at the gym, or outside, use public transport, while they study (and not have a computer distracting them), etc.

And with the adapter, you can't really put your phone in your pocket, you have to make it plain visible on the table. I mean, sure if you like to showoff, then great. But most people want to arrive home or where they plan to go without being mugged. Not everyone can afford a body guard.

i know that oppo and motorolla already did this, but, nah, everything need dongle now, even a phone o.O

7 minutes ago, Mullion said:

The removal of the headphone jack is a good design idea, allowing the phone to be "more" waterproof and dust resistant, it's still usable with an adaptor via the power slot.

How is that a good idea? What advantage does it provide?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

It allows the manufacturer to put a secondary speaker grill with no speaker behind it XD.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

How is that a good idea? What advantage does it provide?

Most people use wireless headphone now, and you can still use a normal jack 1/8 headphone with the adaptor.
It just make 1 less "big hole" in the phone wich is good for waterproofing, dust resistance and probably other stuff that i'm not aware.
IMO

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is because you are staying at home most of the time. Some people like to listen to music when they go at the gym, or outside, use public transport, while they study (and not have a computer distracting them), etc.

And with the adapter, you can't really put your phone in your pocket, you have to make it plain visible on the table. I mean, sure if you like to showoff, then great. But most people want to arrive home or where they plan to go without being mugged. Not everyone can afford a body guard.

i dont stay home all the time but like i said i have bluetooth in my car and again when i do use headphones i almost always just use earpods so it doesnt bother me 

I lurk a lot

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Of all the things I like and can defend about the new phone... That's just a false statement.

Probably, change it to: most people will use wireless headphone/earbuds with this iphone. Like I said, you still have the adaptor option.

http://i.imgur.com/pTusIdd.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

2 minutes ago, Mullion said:

Probably, change it to: most people will use wireless headphone/earbuds with this iphone. Like I said, you still have the adaptor option.

I can agree with that, yeah.

I still see no reason behind removing the jack though. They've gotten nothing from it and haven't put a good alternative forward that didn't already exist and wouldn't have been there anyways. Seems like being different for the sake of being different.

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

"cinema wide gamut"?! HAHAHA! Wow did I miss that?

What does that even mean? I guess it fails to reach AdobeRGB which isn't very wide gamut compared to other standards, so they call it "cinema wide gamut"

Also, OLED screen are wide gamut. The only reason why wide gamut is not common on the PC space, is that people buy 6-bit panels with white LED back light, and low cost CRT monitors beck in the days, so that defined the standard gamut.

Let me quote from my source article:

In the case of the iPhone 7, this is part of a larger upgrade to implement top-to-bottom wide color gamut support, with the phone’s cameras also getting a similar upgrade. The advantage of the larger color gamut, as we’ve seen with the iPad, is that it allows for representation of “deeper” colors that can’t be covered by the traditional sRGB color space, ultimately getting closer to reproducing the full spectrum of what humans can see.

The gamut that Apple uses on the iPhone 7 is much wider than Adobe sRGB and thus the iPhone 7 probably has the widest gamut of any smartphone on the market, and any Android smartphone that attempts to use a different gamut than sRGB often has the color accuracy become crap. Let me quote from Anandtech's LG v20 hands on:

It’s hard to say whether this display is still making the mistake of a gamut wider than sRGB when Android doesn’t support color management, but for now I’m not going to make any snap judgments even though LG is a bit notorious for not getting color calibration right.

And thus, the iPhone 7 has what is most likely the widest color gamut of any smartphone on the market.

Adobe sRGB isn't the widest gamut compared to other standards. That's correct. By "cinema wide gamut," though, Apple is referring to DCI-P3, which happens to be part of the "other standards" group that is wider than sRGB.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Ow right, the regular black is metal and matte, which I like too. Though jetblack looks more.. black :3

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |