Apple Announces the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

1 hour ago, Belmont31R said:

For the headphone jack...rarely used it, and while you all complain now just wait a year or two when suddenly there are a ton of USB C and Lightening options out there. Everyone complains Apple doesn't innovate...here you go. Time to create new stuff or get left behind. The iPhone wagon is moving and you will all sheepishly accept it once Samsung does their usual and uses the iPhone launch as a guide to their next shitty Galaxy.

But why? What's the advantage?

I'd argue that listening to music is the second biggest use-case for smartphones. Behind using it as a communication tool. Even if you don't store half your music collection on your phone anymore you're still using Spotify, Apple Music or Google Play. Removing the headphone jack removes a fundamental bit of I/O for that fundamental task the device performs. Which they're now going to charge you $10US for as an optional extra. Oh, but you have to take your phone off the charger first! 

And you want to argue that those headphones will exist soon enough. Well ok, but here's my issue with that. What about the headphones I already have? What about connecting the phone to an old stereo or something? Sure bluetooth is a thing in the case of the latter and I could get adaptors. But why should I have to? What advantage do I get out of having less options? Why can't I use the same set of headphones on my phone out of the box that I can use on literally every portable device I've ever owned? Wireless headphones can and do exist even with the headphone jack remaining a thing.

I'll admit that I'm not the target audience for this. I like listening to music on my phone so Apple hasn't really been a good option for a while. The lack of micro-SD card expansion is a huge turn-off to someone who wants to store their own music on their phone. So is the fact that Apple doesn't really like to play well with services outside of its ecosystem. Google Play on Android can cast to Sonos and scrobble to last.fm, Apple Music on iOS does neither. But removing the headphone jack? I'm sorry, what company was this again?

207c531ebe397ec40aef96c0500e6468.jpg

Not the same one it used to be

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

4 hours ago, Anir said:

Good to see apple upgrade to quad core, finally some good multitasking :-)

It's their own version of the bigLITTLE system that has been used on android for many years 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

2 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

AirPods... omg I want them.

You will want them, get them and then lose them 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

quite disappointing that is whole event was set up for just the iPhone 7, apple is really going the right way when it comes to completely forgetting their laptop/macbook line up. most people are already annoyed enough by the fact that there are 2y+ old CPU's inside.

I personally find the removal of the headphone jack a non-issue for myself since I'm in a condition where I'm forced to use bluetooth anyway(with a device that is only apple certified sadly) so there is that for me, but I can see why it annoys other people, this either requires you to use an adapter which(said before) can make stuff more complicated and be a pain in the dataport or you go to wireless, which is no option for audiophiles.
There is indeed some courage needed to leave such an old (and kinda outdated) standard, but stuff like that drives the market forward, people are saying that apple stopped innovating or pushing new things as the first, well now they did, but they didn't really do it properly if you ask me.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

28 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

There is indeed some courage needed to leave such an old (and kinda outdated) standard, but stuff like that drives the market forward, people are saying that apple stopped innovating or pushing new things as the first, well now they did, but they didn't really do it properly if you ask me.

Well there's moving the industry forward and then there's removing stuff that was actually useful.

When we went from serial connectors to USB we didn't lose anything. USB actually brought quite a lot to the table including the ability to power devices. When we went from analogue media to digital media we didn't lose anything. We actually gained the ability to skip to particular sections automatically. When we swapped from physical media to digital we didn't lose anything. Again, we gained a lot in the form of convenience and more flexible business models. 

Probably the most disruptive thing Apple did before this was the iPhone. They decided not to have physical buttons but instead went with a multi-touch display. And you know what? We didn't really lose anything. The buttons were still there and they didn't cost extra, they were just virtual buttons now. And in exchange for that we got quite a lot. We got an entirely new style of phone which has rightfully become the standard.

Removing the headphone jack? We don't get anything out of that. Any proprietary headphones they could make could exist even if the headphone jack remained. They argue that they're doing this so they can have extra space in the phone. But since when are phones bulky? Removing a thing is not innovative. It's kinda like how you can get laptops without an Ethernet jack. You can argue reasons why the laptop lacks the Ethernet jack if you want... but don't call it a feature.

1 hour ago, skywake said:

Well there's moving the industry forward and then there's removing stuff that was actually useful.

When we went from serial connectors to USB we didn't lose anything. USB actually brought quite a lot to the table including the ability to power devices. When we went from analogue media to digital media we didn't lose anything. We actually gained the ability to skip to particular sections automatically. When we swapped from physical media to digital we didn't lose anything. Again, we gained a lot in the form of convenience and more flexible business models. 

Probably the most disruptive thing Apple did before this was the iPhone. They decided not to have physical buttons but instead went with a multi-touch display. And you know what? We didn't really lose anything. The buttons were still there and they didn't cost extra, they were just virtual buttons now. And in exchange for that we got quite a lot. We got an entirely new style of phone which has rightfully become the standard.

Removing the headphone jack? We don't get anything out of that. Any proprietary headphones they could make could exist even if the headphone jack remained. They argue that they're doing this so they can have extra space in the phone. But since when are phones bulky? Removing a thing is not innovative. It's kinda like how you can get laptops without an Ethernet jack. You can argue reasons why the laptop lacks the Ethernet jack if you want... but don't call it a feature.

Moving forward can also be about removing stuff, for example optical drive bays in PC cases, yes they got nearly obsolete due to the internet, but what if your internet is down or you want to watch movie from a disk that you have around? Well, then we have an external version with an adapter just like the case here, something that isn't used by everyone get's removed from the product and for those that want there is an adapter. We (techies, LTT people etc) might prefer headphones with a cable, but how many people these days use headphones that are wireless or semi wireless? the same goes for earbuds, what do people prefer a wire or wireless connectivity?
I personally see an increasing demand in wireless options, so the headphone jack will become obsolete if it keeps going that way.
Phones aren't bulky indeed, but did you ever see how tightly packed the inside's are of those things? There is sometimes only a few millimeter room for improvement, so if you want to do something new or put in a bigger battery other stuff needs to be thrown out, now ask yourself what would you remove?

37 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Cause innovation is usually connected with adding new shit or changing something for the better , say the fingerprint scanner, not removing existing ones without any good reason.

innovation is simply defined as bringing a new idea to the table.
admitted apple isn't the first to do this, some chinese brand did it earlier this year, but does anyone remember them?

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The phone is ONLY water resistant IP67, which means NOTHING. All phones are water resistant. We all used our phone, or aged old MP3 player at the time when it is raining, or drop it on snow, etc. The Galaxy S7 is water IP68, pretty much water proof, making ideal for using your phone in your shower, or under water as you swim

The camera is also unimpressive, it is about the same as the old one which is pretty pathetic for a phone at this price range. Just about any premium phone, even Microsoft Lumia 950 / 950 XL destroys Apple best offering, and that is almost 1 year old phone, and cheaper.

IP67 is 1m for 30 minutes, so still pretty waterproof and not that much worse than IP68

the 6s camera is already really good, and the 7 looks better in every way, property 5 axis image stabilisation for smooth video and to help slow shutter speeds, really good 4K video and slow nothing 

dunno how the hell its "unimpressive" eapecially as you have never used or seen it

wouldn't surprise me if it becomes the best smartphone  camera on launch 

the new display is not OLED but it does have cinema wide gamut !

also the phone will be insanely powerful for games better battery life than before (my 6 generally lasts a day of normal use)

honestly I'm pretty stoked 

the new watch too 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

56 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

Moving forward can also be about removing stuff, for example optical drive bays in PC cases, yes they got nearly obsolete due to the internet, but what if your internet is down or you want to watch movie from a disk that you have around? Well, then we have an external version with an adapter just like the case here, something that isn't used by everyone get's removed from the product and for those that want there is an adapter. We (techies, LTT people etc) might prefer headphones with a cable, but how many people these days use headphones that are wireless or semi wireless? the same goes for earbuds, what do people prefer a wire or wireless connectivity?
I personally see an increasing demand in wireless options, so the headphone jack will become obsolete if it keeps going that way.

I don't think it's comparable to optical drives for a few reasons.

For a start reading optical media is far less important on PCs than using headphones on a smartphone is. The argument is that people are using wireless headphones now more than ever and that's probably true. But they're still using headphones. Software on PCs stopped being delivered on disks pretty much entirely. Even if you buy boxed software in a physical shop that has a disk in it you can still just download it. Most software you buy in a shop is actually just a code. It's not really true for headphones. Looking at a local tech retailer's website they have 330 headphones and about 100 of them are wireless/bluetooth. And most of the really good ones are wired rather than wireless.

The second point I'd make is that an external optical drive doesn't limit you much at all. Usually if you have a PC or a laptop and you're needing to read/write to optical media you're at a desk. Especially if it's a desktop PC. And the drive itself still works exactly the same. There's no downside to going that route and in exchange for that you can get a significantly smaller case. Removing the headphone jack does have compromises. If you want to use regular headphones on the iPhone 7 you have to make two compromises. You have to have an external DAC which will add a lot more bulk than an internal one would. It's also another thing to lose. You also have to live with the fact that you can't charge your phone. So unlike the optical bay thing there are real compromises here.

As for this last point about size. Well here's the thing, they have two SKUs here and one of them is bigger. Neither of them have the headphone jack. If we were talking about a cheap, low end model with a small screen I could understand. But these are premium devices with fairly large screens.

8 hours ago, Dionyz said:

All of apple products will become slower as newer updates release. Here is how the iphone 4s got wrecked by the updates.

No suprises, it's a 4 year phone by iOS 9. Changes alone with the GUI are more than enough to slow it down.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

something that isn't used by everyone get's removed from the product and for those that want there is an adapter.

Stop there. Who does not use 3.5 jack? :D 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

2 hours ago, Bsmith said:

Moving forward can also be about removing stuff, for example optical drive bays in PC cases, yes they got nearly obsolete due to the internet, but what if your internet is down or you want to watch movie from a disk that you have around? Well, then we have an external version with an adapter just like the case here, something that isn't used by everyone get's removed from the product and for those that want there is an adapter.

Except the 3.5mm jack has such a wide industry adoption that this is like killing off the optical disk drive in 1996, not 2016.

This isn't a move that will cause a revolution in the market, because the "new" standard is an Apple proprietary connector that nobody else is allowed to use, even if they wanted to.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

30 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Stop there. Who does not use 3.5 jack? :D 

I don't, my speakers are wireless, my headphones got the big connector, my speakers use dolby connection and I use a special device to listen too music through my hearing aids through bluetooth.

18 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Except the 3.5mm jack has such a wide industry adoption that this is like killing off the optical disk drive in 1996, not 2016.

This isn't a move that will cause a revolution in the market, because the "new" standard is an Apple proprietary connector that nobody else is allowed to use, even if they wanted to.

or a simple adapter that costs $9.00(or cheaper from 3rd party when they come) if you want to keep using your wired earbuds/headphones.

I thought BT 5 would be implemented, no? 

Unless it is capable and they release it software side when BT 5 is at its full?!

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

6 hours ago, Belmont31R said:

Everyone complains Apple doesn't innovate...here you go. Time to create new stuff or get left behind. The iPhone wagon is moving and you will all sheepishly accept it once Samsung does their usual and uses the iPhone launch as a guide to their next shitty Galaxy.

If we're gonna go there, Apple didn't inovate, Lenovo did it before them 3 months ago. 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/09/moto-z-doesnt-3-5mm-headphone-jack/

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Honestly.. in these days.. no one cares about benchmarks. Phone CPUs/GPUs are powerful enougth. It all comes down to OS optimization. Android got massively better, now Android on low end phones providing you a super fast and fluid experience is a thing, Windows Phone has shown in the past and still showing that a 150$ phone can give you the same fast and responsive experience as an iPhone, and that was back then. Everything runs fine these days. So there is no point.

That's probably true for the majority of people, but I for one care about benchmarks. For storage, it's because I want my apps to launch faster. For CPUs and GPUs, it's because when I'm gaming on my smartphone I don't want low fps (currently on my OP2 playing something like Smashy Road: Wanted for a minute or two will cause the fps to dip down to what feels like 10-15 fps). Though for most people the latter probably doesn't matter.

Note though: My dad's phone is in fact a 100-150 dollar phone. I tried it out, and it literally takes a couple of seconds to launch an app, some things are super slow, to the point where it feels like I'm using a computer with an hdd that has 5 years of crap in it. It also is STILL running KitKat. The built in GPS is also horrible. I honestly don't know why; it's probably mostly because it's just a bad phone (it only has 2 gb of storage available for example but I got him a Microsd card). So some 150 dollar android phones do still deliver crappy experiences. Though tbh a moto g would probably have been a better buy. I'm just saying that some cheap phones (but not all) out there are pieces of crap :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

honestly I'm pretty stoked 

You got me there

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

the new watch too 

You lost me there

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

You got me there

You lost me there

I like the Apple Watch and the new one seems a good upgrade specially being waterproof 

but even the old gen one now, £269 is pretty good 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

It's big/little config, so might still be a dual-core for all intensive purposes. 

I think that's what everyone's assuming, that only two cores are active at any one time, but it still has advantages (the big cores can be more powerful because they can "borrow" some of the power the little cores save, overall battery life is improved because of the little cores).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

It's big/little config, so might still be a dual-core for all intensive purposes. 

For all intents and purposes.

Jet black looks amazing though! If I was buying the phone I'd get that one, even it says it's prone to scratches more. Also awesome maximum storage capacity you can get.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

48 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

I don't, my speakers are wireless, my headphones got the big connector, my speakers use dolby connection and I use a special device to listen too music through my hearing aids through bluetooth.

or a simple adapter that costs $9.00(or cheaper from 3rd party when they come) if you want to keep using your wired earbuds/headphones.

If I'm spending 800 bucks on a phone, partially because of its sleek design, why the hell would I want to accept needing to use an adapter (which adds another point of physical failure) to be able to continue to use my 3.5mm IEMs?

Especially as they "officially" did away with the 3.5mm jack because it was too bulky, while Apple still insists on a camera lens hump.

I fail to see either a technical, aesthetic or functional benefit to removing the 3.5mm jack from a phone.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

37 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If we're gonna go there, Apple didn't inovate, Lenovo did it before them 3 months ago. 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/09/moto-z-doesnt-3-5mm-headphone-jack/

Nintendo did it 10 years ago.... and it was just as stupid back then

Free-Shipping-By-DHL-100pcs-lot-Wholesal