[Completed] iSwitched from Windows to Linux for 30 days

wait when u tried dota 2 di you use the windows version? (wine and all that) or the native linux one?

wait when u tried dota 2 di you use the windows version? (wine and all that) or the native linux one?

I believe it was the native Linux one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i tried ubuntu a few times here and there

stopped using when unity showed up

to much of a noob to know how to change it

I'm still using Ubuntu but I threw on a cinnamon shell because Unity sucks and Ubuntu Gnome is worse except fallback Gnome it alright.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

@DamKiller37,

ever since you started this project Ive been running elementary os on a vm. It is SO fast and so nice. Ive spent about 2 hours tweaking it and it looks gorgeous. I think Im in love. This is going to be my new setup, elementary os on vm and windows 8 when I need it. THank you for doing this, ive now gotten into linux and I love it.

P.S. I might go to elementary full time 

thanks man

@DamKiller37,

ever since you started this project Ive been running elementary os on a vm. It is SO fast and so nice. Ive spent about 2 hours tweaking it and it looks gorgeous. I think Im in love. This is going to be my new setup, elementary os on vm and windows 8 when I need it. THank you for doing this, ive now gotten into linux and I love it.

P.S. I might go to elementary full time 

thanks man

No problem :D I can't wait for the update of it, 'Isis' which should be out just after Ubuntu 14.04 release.

No problem :D I can't wait for the update of it, 'Isis' which should be out just after Ubuntu 14.04 release.

Do you know when Isis or Ubuntu 14.04 update is coming out. Im so excited. Did you check out the updates you said they would make. If not its right here:http://www.elementaryupdate.com/2013/08/whats-next-isis.html

Personally im excited about the new software install client: I hate software center from ubuntu because its so slow. This new one is going to be great. 

Do you know when Isis or Ubuntu 14.04 update is coming out. Im so excited. Did you check out the updates you said they would make. If not its right here:http://www.elementaryupdate.com/2013/08/whats-next-isis.html

Personally im excited about the new software install client: I hate software center from ubuntu because its so slow. This new one is going to be great. 

I think the release date is planned to be about April 2014 and I will be 'VMing' the test builds of it soon so that I can see what they are trying to put into this distro. I don't mind the current software centre but the new one looks much better and fits the OS better.

YAY
i know i keep saying this but i am gonna switch sometime the coming week xD just finished mid terms

Updates coming soon... didn't do that much because of college :P

np just commentating just so you know i watch this thread quite a bit xD

np just commentating just so you know i watch this thread quite a bit xD

It's nice to hear :D Fell free to drop any suggestions for programs or things I could do... I'm slowly running out of ideas :P

Update tonight? Is this what I might be gathering?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Could you make me one of the intro images with the Windows XP logo and the Ubuntu logo? I'm gonna do this, but for life. Not 30 days.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Update tonight? Is this what I might be gathering?

I hopefully will at least for the past 2 days that I didn't.

Could you make me one of the intro images with the Windows XP logo and the Ubuntu logo? I'm gonna do this, but for life. Not 30 days.

Sure do you want it to look the same as mine or slightly different? and for the days you would have to use a template just like I do :P

UPDATE: Day 13 & Day 14 updated and Day 15 (Today) will be updated tomorrow or later today. Sorry for not having much to log but I've been busy with college and I'm slowly running out of ideas on what I could write about or test. Feel free to give suggestions :D

Sure do you want it to look the same as mine or slightly different? and for the days you would have to use a template just like I do :P

Really similar, just with the Windows XP (or Vista, I used both, so it doesn't matter to me) and the Ubuntu logo. And instead of the 30 days in the corner maybe put "PERMANENTLY?"

And I would love the 30 days template. Thanks. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Title.png

Introduction.png

This is my personal review/daily blog that is presenting you with my personal experiences as well as comparisons/observations

that I have made as a noob when it comes to Linux compared to Windows. I have used Windows ever since I've got a computer

and now I have decided to give Linux a go. I've been inspired to do this because of a unit that I have to do for my college

course and since I always wanted to give a really good go at Linux, now seemed like an appropriate time.

As you can see in the image above I will be switching from Windows 8 to Elementary OS Luna. I will be dual booting both

operating systems and only use Windows for games during the 30 days, everything else will be done one Elementary OS. I will

report back each day with all of the things that I have found out and compare as well as give pros and cons about different

aspects that I will be faced with once using Elementary OS. I hope you will enjoy your lecture for the following 30 days. Make

sure to follow this topic so that you get the updates!

Day%200.png

So before doing anything I had to make some space for Elementary OS and this is what I saw...

1_Small.png

(Click on the image to see it in full size)

SOOOO yeah... I'll get rid of some files from my Windows 8 partition later. Since I had a lot of free space on ma 'Data' partition,

I've took some space from it (116gb) that I could allocate as the Elementary OS and swap space. To do this I have used the

MiniTool Partition Wizard. As I started to shrink my 'Data' partition it disappeared giving me a small heart attack since that is

where I store all of my valuable data. Thankfully it all came back to normal after it was done.

2_Small.png

After I have finished doing the partitioning part this is what I had as a result.

3_Small.png

Then I have ripped the ISO onto a CD using PowerISO. Restarted my computer and allowed Elementary OS to boot up.

In the installation setup I have picked both the updates and 3rd party applications to install. I have then got onto the partition

screen as following the guide and did everything the same (different sized partitions) except of making the /home partition since

I already have a partition where I store all my data on separately. Also I had to create the BIOS Boot Partition which I made to be

100mb so that GRUB would install correctly.

4_Small.jpg

After the installation I restarted my computer and it booted into Windows 8 giving me no GRUB or Windows Boot Manager

in between. So after a few minutes of research I realized that I have installed my Windows 8 in UEFI mode and it was ignoring

Elementary OS. I've found a simple way to fix it though being that I have to set either the UEFI partition first in my UEFI BIOS to

boot into Windows 8 or set the partition that I have Elementary OS on it to boot it up. If anyone knows how to work around it so

that I get to pick my OS using GRUB or Windows Boot Manager that would be great.

5_Small.jpg

Elementary OS successfully installed!

Links used today:

Elementary OS: LINK

Minitool Partition Wizard: LINK

PowerISO: LINK

The Guide to DualBoot Windows and Elementary OS: LINK

Day%201.png

First thing after installing Elementary OS I have installed the latest beta drivers for my graphics card since it popped up on my screen not long

after the system booted. The installation required a restart so I did… wow were the animations smoother after it restarted. Also all of the

other drivers such as the sound and network (using cable) worked right out of the box. To test the sound I’ve played the new

AdhesiveWombat - Symphony Of A Forgotten Sprite WAV file which ran as expected. Next up I’ve headed to the Software Center and

grabbed some of the programs that I knew I will need being: Chromium, Dropbox, VLC, Synergy, GIMP and Wine. Next I grabbed a few things

to customise the look of the system. I've downloaded Elementary Tweaks using the terminal with commands that I've found on the internet.

1.png

(Click on the image to see the gallery of other settings that I have changed)

Secondly, as per usual I headed to DeviantArt to get myself a nice wallpaper and other things to customise the system. I came across a nice

set of icons and a theme for Plank (Dock) called Numix. If you follow the guides for each one you can use the gallery above to set them up.

Here is how I got my desktop to look like so far.

1_Small.png

Lastly, to add onto the fact that I have downloaded Wine, I also downloaded the Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (meta-package) from

the Software Centre. I will be attempting to install some programs that I had on windows today and see how it goes. I will report back either

late today or tomorrow.

Links used today:

Elementary Tweak: LINK

Numix uTouch Linux Desktop Icon Theme: LINK

Numix Theme for Plank: LINK

Wallpaper: LINK

Day%202.png

First thing today that I have done was that I've got Indicator Synapse downloaded and installed. At the same time I've found a bug that when

you click on the 'Applications' and the menu pops up and you click away somewhere else such as a window that you have open the

applications menu will stay open and to close it you have to click Applications again. Secondly I have installed the newest kernel that

Ubuntu uses so that I get the best hardware support and stability. Here on the image below you can see I have the 3.8.0-31 kernel being

the latest stable kernel there is now for Ubuntu and Elementary OS since it's based on Ubuntu.

1.png

Then as I were surfing the web I wanted to sync my Chromium with my Chrome that I had on Windows but it would only sync the bookmarks.

So I trashed Chromium and downloaded Google Chrome which strangely enough fixed the problem. Funny enough I already got bored of

the wallpaper I had so I got a new one.

2_Small.png

I don't think I will get bored of this one any time soon. Lastly I played around with Wine for a while and this is what I got figured:

Programs that partially worked: MAL Updater-worked fine but wouldn't detect the VLC installed on Linux or VLC for windows (Installed via

WINE), Media Player Classic Home Cinema & CCCP-installed correctly but wouldn't play a video, VLC for Windows worked perfectly fine and

ran videos as it should, ReNamer worked perfectly.

Installed new programs: Thunderbird Email, Deluge, Brasero Disc Burner, LibreOffice and Main Menu from Software Center. As mentioned

before Google Chrome instead of Chromium because things didn't want to sync. I will be trying more programs with time but I've found out

that Office 2013 doesn't work with Wine.

Links used today:

Indicator Synapse: LINK

The bug I've found already reported here: LINK

Kernel update tutorial: LINK

Google Chrome (download the Ubuntu one): LINK

New wallpaper: LINK

Day%203.png

So to kick of the day today I got myself Steam form the Software Centre however I had to make an Ubuntu One account because Steam is

connected to it. Nothing changed here as you can see. Looks exactly the same as on Windows.

1_Small.png

Also I forgot to add this yesterday but my YouTube seemed to go extremely pixelated when going into full screen mode in Chrome a bit like

if you tried to full screen 800x600 on a 1080p screen. This also reduced the quality of the videos no matter what quality I tried to watch it at.

So to fix it I already knew what to do, so I typed about:plugins into the address bar and clicked enter to see this.

2_Small.png

Then I went down to where it said Adobe Flash Player and disabled the one that was located in Google Chrome's directory as you can see in

the image and left the one that was installed with my 3rd party apps when installing Elementary OS. I read that it is a problem to do with

hardware acceleration that Chrome has and/or that 2 different versions of Flash could clash together and cause problems like creating

crashes just like I had on windows and I did the same thing to fix it here. I have also researched and by disabling the feature 'Sync to Vblank'

in my Nvidia Settings as you can see on the image below the animations became bit smoother and less choppy at times.

3_Small.png

Then came time to test a game on Steam. I ran Dota 2 as suggested by @needmorewood and after playing through the tutorial

which took me about 17 min I have to say the game ran butter smooth. When I turned off vsync I would get between 80-100 FPS and with

vsync on I would get constant 60 fps no matter what.

4_Small.jpg

Also here is what kind of temperature my GPU was at instantly after finishing the tutorial game. Not too bad... I'd say it's about the same as I

would get on Windows after gaming.

5.png

Another thing tested today was the NVIDIA 2013 Press Conference on Twitch that Linus and PC Perspective were streaming earlier and that

worked nice and smooth. Just for your information I were watching it a High and my internet speed isn't a barrier so it was all up to Chrome

and the OS to do the job. Lastly, as silly as it may seem I also installed SMPlayer from the Software centre to replace VLC since I never

really liked it and it doesn't have the simple feature of left clicking the video to play/pause that I always use everywhere. Also because it has

a theme that makes it look like Media Player Classic that I used to use on Windows and loved it!

6_Small.png

Links used today:

NONE!

Day%204.png

So today I were quite busy so I didn't get to do much on Elementary OS since I had a lot of course work to do for college and were watching

the 2nd day coverage of the Nvidia conference streamed by Linus which pretty much took all of my day. But one way or the other I do have

a few things to share with you guys. So to begin with I had to get some work done for college so I thought I would try to use Libre Office to

get my work finished off (that was previously saved from Office 2013) and as soon as I opened my documents and a Powerpoint all of the

layout and themes were either missing or not in the right order. Since I didn't have time to waste I had to got to Windows and use Office there

since I had to upload the work by the end of today for it to be marked. As a result I spent all of my day doing the work, mostly watching the

stream and researching the topics I had to write about.

So from the things I managed to do on Elementary OS today apart from writing this is that I've downloaded Skype of their website and

installed it. I must say it looks a bit 'empty' I guess in terms of the design. Maybe simple is a better word. Before anyone asks I did

blur out all of the names.

1_Small.png

Also I wanted to cover more about Synergy which I have installed on Day 1. For those of you that don't know what this program does, then

it basically allows you to use the computer which is set as the server in the program to be the one that you use the mouse and keyboard of

with the client computer which in my case is my netbook that sits under my monitor like this. Yeah I used my HTC Desire to take the

picture so it doesn't look too good but you get the idea.

2_Small.jpg

Obviously you are required to have the program installed on both computers and it supports Windows (I have Windows 7 on my netbook),

Linux and Mac OSX. The program streams the mouse and keyboard input through the internet and allows you to access the other computer

in the same way as you would if you had a multi monitor setup. You also have the ability to copy and paste between the computers (text only

as far as I know). Any how this is how I have it setup.

3_Small.png

And also this is what my screen placement and names are. Quite simple and understandable.

4_Small.png

I mainly use this setup to write bits of each days log on a netbook as I do stuff on the desktop. I also use it when I watch stuff in bed and

I need a mouse and keyboard so instead of unplugging everything I just use my netbook so I can control my desktop from bed without moving,

since my bed is on the right hand side of the desk that you can see in the image above. Also during the WAN Show or any other twitch stream I

use the netbook as a chat screen which is cool since I can have my desktop showing the steam in full screen, the netbook to display the chat

and work as a controller for the desktop. Really handy application, I highly recommend it.

So yeah that's all I really have for today. Sorry guys :/ I will try and get something more interesting done tomorrow. Feel free to suggest things

for me to do, whether it is a program alternative that you think is better or a program in general that you could recommend. Anything will be

cool I'm off to watch some WAN Show! See you guys there.

Links used today:

Synergy: LINK

Day%205.png

So today I have done quite a bit more than yesterday. I've installed Xpad from Software Centre so that I can have all of my notes on the

desktop just like I had them on Windows. The cool thing about Xpad is that you can change the colour of the notes and fonts to whatever

you desire to and also you can change the font and it's size. I've made mine so that they are matching the wallpaper as you can see

below.

1_Small.png

Second thing down the line was Wingpanel Slim from Software centre as well. I didn't really like the look of it so I deleted it. You will need

Elementary Tweak (look in Day 1 for link for it) to change the settings of the Wingpanel. Anyhow here's how it looks like.

2_Small.png

After that I installed 32-bit Libraries for the sake of compatibility using the Terminal and this command: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

I've also found out about Kingsoft Office that is in a way a clone of Microsoft Office. It took ages to download since I did it via the Terminal

(guide in the links below) but it was totally worth it. Feels, looks and operates like Microsoft Office and it is compatible with the newest version

of documents (2013). Above all it's FREE!!! Here how it looks with some of my college work.

3_Small.png

Just to keep myself sage I installed a very simple and apparently affective firewall called gufw. In Software Centre it's under a name of

'Firewall Configuration' Not much to say about it so here is a picture of how it looks.

4_Small.png

...and the last 2 things I did were: I updated Xorg (Xorg is basically the X window system used in Linux. It's the base of the graphical

environment for your computer.) as well as I have found a fix for the microphone not being picked up in Skype by using the tutorial below.

Links used today:

How to get Kingsoft Office: LINK

Xorg Update; use the commands under number one: LINK

How to fix the microphone in Skype: LINK

Day%206.png

So today I didn't get to do anything of value to log here since I were out for most of the day. Sorry!

Day%207.png

Today I have spent most of the day watching films. One thing I have noticed is that after some time the film would occasionally stutter. I have

no idea what could have been the problem, it could have been the fact that the films were 1080p, something to do with the Nvidia drivers,

the SMPlayer or what. One way or the other it wasn't too significant so I didn't care as much. Next on using Winetricks (you can get it from the

Software Centre) I have installed Steam so that I could try to get some of my Windows Steam games to work.

1_Small.png

Also I have realised that all of my apps installed via Wine are in the Applications tab but none of them work so I have to go to the directory

and open apps that way. The game I have tried first was Borderlands 2. Trying to run the game via Steam would just show that I'm in game

and instantly go back to just online and the game won't launch at all.

2_Small.png

...and this is what I got when I've put the command into the terminal that I have opened in the folder. Both shown below.

3_Small.png

First I thought it wasn't working so I went to Winetricks then "Select the default Wineprefix" then "Install a Windows DLL or component"

and then selected all of the DirectX files just to be sure as you can see below.

4_Small.png

Then I did the command part again after restarting my computer and nothing came up and my resolution messed up as you can see below so

I clicked the Wine icon in the dock and the game popped up on my screen. So I have no idea if all of the DirectX stuff were needed since Steam

installed all of the stuff for the game when I installed it. Before I did anything, I moved all of my saves for that game from Windows to see

how the game will work.

5_Small.png

It did! Slightly laggy but I guess there are a few limitations such as the drivers not being optimised and Wine but if I turned all of the settings

down it would be smooth otherwise you get a few frame drops but I guess you can call the game playable since everything works as it should.

If any of you guys know how to get the game to launch from Steam that would be cool. Apart from that I will try more games in the days to

come.

Links used today:

NONE !

Day%208.png

Right so Day 8 wasn't too productive since I had a friend over. I have changed my Plank settings a little as you can see below and now in

my opinion it fits the overall look better and looks more like the top bar.

1_Small.png

Then I also have gotten a new wallpaper which you can get in the link below.

Links used today:

Wallpaper: LINK

Day%209.png

Ok so I kicked of Day 9 with 2 nice commands: sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get update. Then I went on to Software Center and

downloaded Virtualbox. So i got Virtual box mainly to try out the beta version of Elementary OS 0.3 when it's out. Here is how I've set things up.

1_Small.png

So I will be installing the x64 version and since it is an Ubuntu based OS I picked the appropriate options. Then I allocated 4GB of RAM for it.

2_Small.png

...and finally made a virtual disk image (Dynamically allocated) of 40gb.

3_Small.png

Then I mounted a test ISO (a random unstable I downloaded to test if I set up the VM right) so I right clicked on the VM and here I added

the ISO...

4_Small.png

As I tried to run the VM as a test I've got this popup. Making me realize that have I have disabled it in my BIOS.

5_Small.png

So to fix it I had to go to my BIOS and enable the feature as you can see below.

6_Small.jpg

I will be changing all of the graphical settings and all the other jazz when I will actually use it but for now I just wanted to get it set up and ready.

So to prove it here is it working after changing the BIOS option.

7_Small.png

Next thing that I did is I finally looked for a replacement for MAL Updater and I've found one called wMAL. Pretty much the same thing but it

works on Linux and written in Python. You can obtain it in the link below. So I extracted it to ar random destination and ran the command as

you can see below to run it. I ran the command to open the GTK version so that it is simple to use an an eye candy... it's all about the

eye candy!

8_Small.png

...and lastly here is how I've got it set up so that it scans my SMPlayer to see if I'm watching anime so that it can automaticaly update MAL for

me.

9_Small.png

Links used today:

wMAL: LINK

Day%2010.png

Sorry nothing done worth recording.

Day%2011.png

Sorry nothing done worth recording. Had to do some of my college work for most of the day so :/

Day%2012.png

Alright so for not doing anything for two days here comes a nice long lecture. So I've been struggling to get my steamapps linked
between both Elementary OS and Windows so I don't have to redownload and reinstall all of my games to play them via Steam (WINE version)
in Elementary OS. I've been trying to figure this out ever since the first days on Linux. So I tried the guide below (look in today's links) and had
to modify it so that I can link my Program Files x86 but even when I eventually got all the commands to work, Steam (WINE version) wouldn't
detect the games. So I reversed all of the things that the commands did and look for another way. After looking for a solution on the web,
I finally figured a way to do it on my own and here is how I did it. First of all you have to go to Wine configuration then into the drives tab.
Then click Add... and select a letter of your choice. Now in the path clear the text box and put in: /media/*name of your partition here*
(you can find out the name of the partition in the file manager on the left side bar) and change the Type: to Local hard disk. The reason for
all of this is to add the partitions you want to WINE so that all of the applications such as Steam can access those partitions that you will add.
As you can see in the image bellow I have added 2 partitions: 'D:' which is my Windows 8 partition and 'E:' which is my data partition. You can
see how your drive mapping should look like and as you can see the names of the partitions correspond to the ones in the files manager.

1_Small.png

Now your Steam (WINE version) can access those partitions and effectively you can add the steam games you have on Windows to the
Steam that is ran in WINE. Now here is how you should add the partition/s to Steam (WINE Version). Open your Steam (WINE version) go to
the Settings, Downloads tab and click on STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS. Now click ADD LIBRARY FOLDER. Using the menu that pops up direct
to the partition that your Windows Steam is on (I mean the Steam that you have installed on your Windows partition) and add it. I have added 2
partitions since I have some games on a separate partition not in the Steam folder. Make sure that you select the folder that contains
'steamapps' and not steamapps itself. On the image below you can see 2 of my partitions added and the default partition in the list. You can
also see in the image that the games lit white not grey are all of the games I now have in the Steam (WINE version) and are also all of
the games I had on Windows.

2_Small.png

Now the rest is for you to research on if the games you had on Windows now you have in the WINE version of Steam will work on Linux.
I will include a link below for you to see if your games will work and what you may need to do to get them to work. Also make sure you enable
Steam Cloud on both Windows and the WINE version of Steam so that you can have your game saves from the games that support the Steam
Cloud which should be all of the new games if not all of the games that are on Steam. Also a reminder for the games to show up in Steam
(WINE version) as installed you have to make sure that the drives that the game is stored on eg. your Windows partition is mounted. So before
launching Steam (WINE version) make sure that you go to the file manager and randomly click on the partitions so that the system mounts
them and then open up Steam otherwise if you don't do this the games won't show up as installed. To make sure that the drives are mounted
you will see the eject icon next to the partition as you can see in the image below.

3_Small.png

Lastly I've downloaded Banshee from the Software Centre to replace the default music player. Mainly switched to it from the default Music
app because this one detects my iPod and I can move all of my music on to it and the UI is still quite nice as well as you get the controls in the
sound icon at the top bar.

4_Small.png

Links used today:
Guide for Steam on Linux (the part about sharing games between OS is at "Save space on dual-boot machines": LINK
Which Windows games work with WINE: LINK

Day%2013.png

Sorry nothing done worth recording.

Day%2014.png

I have tested some Steam games today since I though I might as well give some of them a go. So starting off with Burnoun Paradise: The
Ultimate Box it would turn on and work if you turn off the anti-analasing however the whole screen would shake a bit like everything that is
being displayed is constantly going up and down a few pixels at a fast pace. Also there would be some invisible textures such as the whole
helmet of the bike wouldn't even be there and some textures on his feet wouldn't totally show up. The game did run smoothly though and if
not of the problems it would be perfectly playable with very smooth framerate. Next up I've tried Planetside 2. It didn't even manage to open
the launcher before it came up with and error that had to close the launcher. To be honest I didn't expect it to work since it runs awfully on
Windows as it is because of the optimisation. Then I've tried Dead Island and the game would turn on but the resolution wouldn't go above
1440x900 and it was quite laggy even on low settings. Also there was no sound at all. Both Saint's Row 3 and 4 won't even turn on and
the rest of the games I have are converted to Linux already.

out of all honesty, Ubuntu is the way to go.  Its a great way to get into linux.