[Completed] iSwitched from Windows to Linux for 30 days

well i also switched on ubuntu from win 8 and i am likeing it

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Cool concept, I did this with ubuntu a while ago, I loved it in some ways but I missed... Windows :S

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

is it me or does elementary os look a lot like mac os ?? but GREAT thread by the way love it 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

is it me or does elementary os look a lot like mac os ?? but GREAT thread by the way love it 

Absolutely! Despite the fact that it has similar features that you would on OSX it still feels very unique and so far I'm very satisfied :)

this is great man. Im thinking about doing the same thing with ubuntu just to see if I like it. THanks a lot you inspired me to start my own linux run!

ur desktop looks great how can i make my ubuntu look like urs ?

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Am I crazy or for day 2 are you saying you used Windows VLC with wine to play videos because VLC in Linux didn't work? That seems weird.

As you can see in the image above I will be switching from Windows 8 to Elementary OS Luna.

He's running an different OS that is based upon Ubuntu, I don't think you can make Ubuntu look like this... Not sure. You could always use this https://www.gnome.org/ if you want Ubuntu to look different.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Am I crazy or for day 2 are you saying you used Windows VLC with wine to play videos because VLC in Linux didn't work? That seems weird.

No, what I tried to say is that both VLCs work but since MAL Updater scans all of the players that you are using to see if you are playing anime so that it can update your list, I thought that since Wine sort of launches it in it's own enviornment the video player would have to be in it as well so I installed VLC in Wine to see if that was the case but it seemed not to work anyway :P

What you see in my screenshots is Pantheon desktop environment which means it's something like what Gnome or KDE are. Pantheon was designed to run on Elementary OS which in its own rights is quite a new distro and there are still small bugs there and there. But back to your question you can download the Pantheon environment onto Ubuntu using a tutorial such as his one http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-pantheon-desktop-environment-on-ubuntu-13-04-12-10-12-04-and-linux-mint-15-14-13/ however from what I have read is that it can be quite buggy running on Ubuntu, so it's up to you if you want to give it a go. If anything you could get Gnome which is a more polished environment and used to be on Ubuntu not that long ago as default and get a dock application such as Plank to go with it however I'm not sure how well the different things like minimising to the dock would work.

I wish the OS had a more mature name. I like the minimalistic design, but that name sounds like it belongs at an Elementary school... :P

If anything calling it Pantheon OS wouldn't be a bad idea I think.

if it can play dota 2 decently ill convert in heartbeat

I'll test it out for you maybe even today since I installed Steam... more about that in today's report which I will upload later on :D

When Steam's Linux library expands and we see better drivers for GPUs (I'm an AMD user) I'll switch to Linux 100%

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I'll test it out for you maybe even today since I installed Steam... more about that in today's report which I will upload later on :D

that would be amazing, thanks alot. enable net graph in the console and it will tell you the fps as you play.

only really keeping windows 8 right now for watchdogs xD. and if someone needs troubleshooting (gotta look at it on my own machine)

When Steam's Linux library expands and we see better drivers for GPUs (I'm an AMD user) I'll switch to Linux 100%

My video card is supported really well. But Steam still sucks.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nice. From your experiences so far, do you think you will be sticking with Linux after the 30 days?

Very much possible but most likely won't get rid of Windows because of games and some applications hopefully the game support will change as soon as Steam OS is out and I may end up switching to it from Elementary OS, well see. For the time being I'm very satisfied Elementary OS!

Man, Elementary OS looks good. I might run it on a VM to see what it's like.

Mmm, it's nice. Think Ubuntu without the in my opinion ugly UI.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

What is the performance like on your hardware? Also what hardware have you got anyway?

My hardware is in my signature. Also in terms of performance it's butter smooth with some very rare occasional stutter in animation but nothing major. This is mostly the reason (I assume) of the fact that Pantheon and Elementary OS are still very fresh and are still being worked on so there are very little bugs but like I said nothing major whatsoever. All applications start in an instant work very well and as I mentioned I 'Day 3' Dota 2 ran as if it was on Windows. I think that with the next release of Elementary OS all of those issues will be addressed.

Don't you wish it had minimize and maximize buttons? That's one of the things that I absolutely HATE about Elementary.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)