[Build Log] Project Frost - Case-Labs THW10 | X99 Watercooled | i7 6950X | Titan X | Borosilicate Glass Tubing

Revan654
On 9/6/2016 at 5:01 PM, Revan654 said:

It's consider my main PC( Web, Video & Downloading). Gaming is on my other PC which has a GTX 1080(Skylake Build). I have allot of tools, each for each step of the video process.

I should start to use H.265. Which would reduce the size. It's not widely accepted codec yet.

My PC is my main rig and I do just about everything right under the sun (from gaming to 3D animation and rendering). I do have upgrades coming soon once I pass all of my classes in college _happy__by_cookiemagik.gif

These upgrades are:

• Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32GB Quad 2400 MHz C14 (I can potentially get this earlier with my birthday cash)
  • Two Nvidia Titan X Pascal GPU ('cause why not and for extremely fast GPU rendering in Blender and in 3ds Max with Nvidia Iray)

This is one thing I am worrying about: The power supply. Would all of my upgrades and overclocks cause the power draw to come too close for my comfort? If so I would likely upgrade it to the EVGA Supernova 1600 P2.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

19 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

My PC is my main rig and I do just about everything right under the sun (from gaming to 3D animation and rendering). I do have upgrades coming soon once I pass all of my classes in college _happy__by_cookiemagik.gif

These upgrades are:

• Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32GB Quad 2400 MHz C14 (I can potentially get this earlier with my birthday cash)
  • Two Nvidia Titan X Pascal GPU ('cause why not and for extremely fast GPU rendering in Blender and in 3ds Max with Nvidia Iray)

This is one thing I am worrying about: The power supply. Would all of my upgrades and overclocks cause the power draw to come too close for my comfort? If so I would likely upgrade it to the EVGA Supernova 1600 P2.

1200 dollars for a single GPU isn't worth it. Having a Titan these days seems like bragging rather then having an massive advantage. Not to mention the power they require. I know some have two PSU to run multiple Titan's with their setup.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Revan654 said:

1200 dollars for a single GPU isn't worth it. Having a Titan these days seems like bragging rather then having an massive advantage. Not to mention the power they require. I know some have two PSU to run multiple Titan's with their setup.

It may not be worth it to you, but the Titan series of cards exist because there is a market for immensely powerful GPU's, namely 3D rendering like I mentioned before. And let me tell you double precision performance is not the be-all, end-all for content creation. You can make the argument that the original Titan and the Titan Black excelled because it had double precision, but that can be proved otherwise because the applications made for content creation were never made to leverage double precision to make renders any faster.

Double precision is only relevant to scientific stuff like medical research, deep learning, geographical simulations, and the like. Rendering and encoding is reliant on raw horsepower. Why do you think faster CPU's and GPU's excel so well in this area? And for 3D rendering, more CPU cores is also something to consider too, as almost every 3D application made for this purpose scales almost linearly with more cores added.

Why do you think I built my computer with the hardware selection in the first place? Why do you think I intend to get the hardware I plan on getting in the future? And to be quite frank, once I have the hardware, and even now, I'm not interested in upgrading my overpowered hardware.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

2 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

It may not be worth it to you, but the Titan series of cards exist because there is a market for immensely powerful GPU's, namely 3D rendering like I mentioned before. And let me tell you double precision performance is not the be-all, end-all for content creation. You can make the argument that the original Titan and the Titan Black excelled because it had double precision, but that can be proved otherwise because the applications made for content creation were never made to leverage double precision to make renders any faster.

Double precision is only relevant to scientific stuff like medical research, deep learning, geographical simulations, and the like. Rendering and encoding is reliant on raw horsepower. Why do you think faster CPU's and GPU's excel so well in this area? And for 3D rendering, more CPU cores is also something to consider too, as almost every 3D application made for this purpose scales almost linearly with more cores added.

Why do you think I built my computer with the hardware selection in the first place? Why do you think I intend to get the hardware I plan on getting in the future? And to be quite frank, once I have the hardware, and even now, I'm not interested in upgrading my overpowered hardware.

wow, Why so defensive. Time to move on from this discussion.

this is probably one of the most epic machines i've ever seen here.

awesome build log, love the colour choices.

perhaps you could post something that you've made on this machine along with shots of it finished when you're done?

14 minutes ago, alphastrata said:

this is probably one of the most epic machines i've ever seen here.

awesome build log, love the colour choices.

perhaps you could post something that you've made on this machine along with shots of it finished when you're done?

CaseLabs is holding me up at making any progress. Right now I'm working on the cables while I wait on them. As more progress is made I will post shots.

More Items added to my Build.

x1 Aquacomputer Water Block for Aquaero 5, G1/4
x2 Aquacomputer Shoggy Sandwich Building Kit for Pump Decoupling - Version 2.0 - Black Version
x2 EK-CoolStream XE 480
x2 Monsoon MMRS 12mm Stand Alone Pump Mount - Matte Black
x1 Mayhems Blitz Part Two only
x2 Mayhems Blitz Part One only
x2 DEMCiflex Magnetic Fan Dust Filter - Custom Filter for CaseLabs 120.4 Flex-Bay
x1 EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Triple)
x1 Monsoon MMRS D5 Pump Cover - Matte Black (For Dual Pump setup) - I might buy two and do away with my Bitspower D5 Top.
x1 Aquacomputer D5 Pump Mechanics with USB and Aquabus Interface
x2 CaseLabs Accessory mount
1x CaseLabs Standard HDD Cage for Double Wide MAGNUM Case, 120mm x 25mm Fan Mount

Return: x1 Hardware-Labs SR2 360 MP

Remaining items:

x1 MSI GTX 1070 x Gaming
x1 Bitspower GPU Block for MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
x5 Thermaltake Riing (3 Pack)

I might have to move my PSU from Pedestal to Main case. I have no idea how to route my cables to bottom(at this Point). I don't have enough area to drill a hole for a ATX (26 Pin) & 4 fan holes are taken up by other items.

xbJf91j.jpg
cOc7Esg.jpg
QnikMC2.jpg
VuhT8zN.jpg
qo34F4W.jpg
Yks0amY.jpg
IE9sqMy.jpg
3SClELV.jpg
zdo1HfV.jpg

First picture is all parts I have gotten so far minus the bigger items (Motherboard, res, ram, etc...)

Got a few more items today including drill bits (20 & 16mm), pump two, angled & Pass through fittings, Sata Cable, Extension cables, and some soft tubing for the pedestals(with fittings).

I have no experience watercooling myself, but I haven't heard many good things about monsoon fittings.

Are you using them for esthetic reasons?

Also, what about changing fittings to bits power or ek? As far as I've understood they're very compatible with various tubing sizes, and generally good?

Not trying to come across as a douche, just generally interested! :)

Also, awesome build! I've subbed! Looking forward to seeing the outcome! :D

Regarding your power supply - I have had a system with a 5960x overclocked to 4.5 ghz, and four Titan x cards (the old ones) all overclocked. Under furmark, I was using 1400W from the socket. So 1600W for two cards is massively overkill. I do not know how hard your program uses your hardware, but invest in a watt-o-meter and give it a look.

Check out the build here, and scroll to the bottom to see the watt results: http://www.hex-gear.com/hall-of-fame/rhino/

44 minutes ago, p0Pe said:

Regarding your power supply - I have had a system with a 5960x overclocked to 4.5 ghz, and four Titan x cards (the old ones) all overclocked. Under furmark, I was using 1400W from the socket. So 1600W for two cards is massively overkill. I do not know how hard your program uses your hardware, but invest in a watt-o-meter and give it a look.

Check out the build here, and scroll to the bottom to see the watt results: http://www.hex-gear.com/hall-of-fame/rhino/

Only way anybody with 2 cards is going to see 1600w+ draw is on LN2, he smokin somethin :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

6 hours ago, KrMaH said:

I have no experience watercooling myself, but I haven't heard many good things about monsoon fittings.

Are you using them for esthetic reasons?

Also, what about changing fittings to bits power or ek? As far as I've understood they're very compatible with various tubing sizes, and generally good?

Not trying to come across as a douche, just generally interested! :)

Also, awesome build! I've subbed! Looking forward to seeing the outcome! :D

It's the tubing that's the issue. For some reason they increased the size by 1mm making it impossible to use any fitting expect alphacool. However Alphacool Clear tubing is normal sized.

Which basically destroyed my entire theme of my PC. I have go back to drawing board and see what else is out their. I'm thinking of grabbing Thermaltake riing fittings for the lighting effect.

Right now I'm stuck until PPCS re-opens.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

PPCs is the worst, try titan rig and modmymods.

Why? I have order over 20 orders from them with zero issues. If you said FrozenCPU then yes I agree with that. Problem is Modmymods does not carry allot, Same with Titanrig. Only PPCS carries most of what I need.

On 10/7/2016 at 8:12 AM, p0Pe said:

Too be fair, peak efficiency is typically somewhere around 50% load :P

On 10/7/2016 at 5:47 PM, Revan654 said:

Why? I have order over 20 orders from them with zero issues. If you said FrozenCPU then yes I agree with that. Problem is Modmymods does not carry allot, Same with Titanrig. Only PPCS carries most of what I need.

Same here.  I have many orders through Performance PCs and they've yet to mess anything up.  Great company as far as I'm concerned.