[Build Log] Project Frost - Case-Labs THW10 | X99 Watercooled | i7 6950X | Titan X | Borosilicate Glass Tubing

Revan654

@Revan654 Is there any way that you could take a few pictures of the completed build and put them in the first post, or create a list of links to pictures showing progress.  It's kind of a pain to dig through every page trying to see what your build looks like!  Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

The parts list at least looks killer, I can't imagine what kind of performance you get.

5 hours ago, snpr1992 said:

@Revan654 Is there any way that you could take a few pictures of the completed build and put them in the first post, or create a list of links to pictures showing progress.  It's kind of a pain to dig through every page trying to see what your build looks like!  Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

The parts list at least looks killer, I can't imagine what kind of performance you get.

Once the build is complete I will clean up the first few posts with top photos. Build is still being built, shipping time it what has delayed this build the most.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

zCmhPLLl.jpg

May not look as pretty as Single sleeved fan extensions. However it does reduce the numbers of cables that have to run down through the case.

------

Going to test one other method I have played with in the past.

yytMlQol.jpg

02hs6dtl.jpg

11 hours ago, Revan654 said:

NTneVVUl.jpg

Finally pulled the trigger on the monitor. Since I couldn't wait anymore to see if any other company would bring out something better or close to it.

thats a good rebate you got, seems like a good deal :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats a good rebate you got, seems like a good deal :D 

Dell website and that monitor price has been odd. It kept changing last night 1600 to 1500 to 1400 back to 1500 then back 1400. Once it hit 1400, I just ordered it and not wanting to take a risk of the price increasing. I also got expedite Shipping & Advanced Exchange Service for 3 years as well(No additional Charge).

----

On a side note, I'm glad I didn't get a AMD GPU, these drivers recently forces you to install there stupid gaming app, There no way around it if you want the latest drivers. It also installs PlayTV and raptr as well without telling you. I have to constantly uninstall the crap. I still surprised that actually still release drivers for my GPU, It's old. It's officially listed as Legacy GPU.

-------

With the new Firefox why does some of the developers thought they need to change the UI and how the extensions work? NoScript worked perfectly before, Now I have no idea whats going on. You have to manually block the site(Unless the extension is broken), Just automatically block everything unless I tell you it's a trusted site.

ABP I don't even think works anymore after the last update. Maybe it's time to switch to UOrigin.

Just now, Revan654 said:

Dell website and that monitor price has been odd. It kept changing last night 1600 to 1500 to 1400 back to 1500 then back 1400. Once it hit 1400, I just ordered it and not wanting to take a risk of the price increasing. I also got expedite Shipping & Advanced Exchange Service for 3 years as well(No additional Charge).

----

On a side note, I'm glad I didn't get a AMD GPU, these drivers recently forces you to install there stupid gaming app, There no way around it if you want the latest drivers. It also installs PlayTV and raptr as well without telling you. I have to constantly uninstall the crap. I still surprised that actually still release drivers for my GPU, It's old. It's officially listed as Legacy GPU.

-------

With the new Firefox why does some of the developers thought they need to change the UI and how the extensions work? NoScript worked perfectly before, Now I have no idea whats going on. You have to manually block the site(Unless the extension is broken), Just automatically block everything unless I tell you it's a trusted site.

ABP I don't even think works anymore after the last update. Maybe it's time to switch to UOrigin.

didnt AMD drop Raprt? for firefox they rewrote a lot of it to make it faster, thats why its changed. extentions have to be updated by the devs for them to work in most cases

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

My Monitor is at local Fed-Ex sorting, It's been there since Sunday. Of course Fed-Ex loves to wait for the exact estimate date to actually deliver the package, Unlike UPS. Which should be tomorrow.

-------

Anyone know any store in the US that sells the following Bitspower item?

- BP-MBWP-CT

So far every store I checked is out of stock.

Holy hell anyone see whats needed just to watch 4K UHD movies on your PC? I know it's a bit late on the subject. Since I switched to 4K monitor, I was seeing if it was possible. This is why piracy exist, it punishes legit users with dozen hoops to jump through just to watch there own movies. HDCP 2.2(PC Side), Karby Lake CPU, AACS 2.0 support, Intel's SGX and finally UHD Software. Plus a 4K Monitor with HDPC 2.2 Support and HDMI 2.0a+. Allot of monitors still only use HDMI 1.4. I

No E Class Processors(6950X,7900X, etc...) will be support what's needed to Play 4K movies. Then add on top of that barely any Motherboards actually support everything that's needed. I don't even think SGX can be done in UEFI.

It's another reason why Blu-Ray on the PC never really took off.

------

Intel Optane SSD 900P - has a nice performance but not worth the money when you only get 480 gigs and is only slightly faster then 960Pro. You can get a Samsung SSD with 2TB for the same price. With some of the field tests Intel drive was only 0.5 seconds faster then Samsung 950 during bootup. The 960 was not used not sure what the advantage will be on that drive.

------

DGpCZp9l.jpg

I ran into a small issue, The Hardrive cages can't be installed with my cables & Spliity9/Hubby7 installed on the back. I'm going have to figure something else out. Going try to do tiny sleeving on fan cables and see if that will work. I might need a new plate for the back.

e7Iazv7l.jpg

CFLAdrYl.jpg

cHY16pol.jpg

QQnxWYIl.jpg

On 12/4/2017 at 1:07 PM, Revan654 said:

Holy hell anyone see whats needed just to watch 4K UHD movies on your PC? I know it's a bit late on the subject. Since I switched to 4K monitor, I was seeing if it was possible. This is why piracy exist, it punishes legit users with dozen hoops to jump through just to watch there own movies. HDCP 2.2(PC Side), Karby Lake CPU, AACS 2.0 support, Intel's SGX and finally UHD Software. Plus a 4K Monitor with HDPC 2.2 Support and HDMI 2.0a+. Allot of monitors still only use HDMI 1.4. I

No E Class Processors(6950X,7900X, etc...) will be support what's needed to Play 4K movies. Then add on top of that barely any Motherboards actually support everything that's needed. I don't even think SGX can be done in UEFI.

It's another reason why Blu-Ray on the PC never really took off.

You CAN play/stream UHD with a modern Nvidia GPU provided you use the latest drivers and meet the HDCP 2.2 requires from GPU to monitor.  There's no need for a Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake CPU and it can be done with a 6950x / 7900x.  This is much better avenue as opposed to doing it via the CPU anyways.  

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus

Intel Optane SSD 900P - has a nice performance but not worth the money when you only get 480 gigs and is only slightly faster then 960Pro. You can get a Samsung SSD with 2TB for the same price. With some of the field tests Intel drive was only 0.5 seconds faster then Samsung 950 during bootup. The 960 was not used not sure what the advantage will be on that drive.

Hopefully I'm not the only one that sees the irony in this statement considering the thread topic.   xD

Yeah, the Intel 900p is expensive, but to use boot time and capacity alone as the metrics for judging this drive's performance is skewing the outcome. The 900p beats the 960 Pro in almost every metric aside from sustained transfers.  In a lot of those categories, it beats the 960 Pro by a lot.  

If you focus on boot time and capacity alone, the 960 Pro is a very poor value compared to a regular 850 Evo SSD.  Does the 960 Pro boot any faster than a regular SSD?  Sure it does, but not enough to actually notice or matter.  Is the 960 Pro a lot more expensive per gigabyte than a regular SSD?  It sure is.  

Larger capacity 900p drives will be available next year, which is right around the corner.  Wait until you see the prices on those bad boys.  xD

Cost per GB based on my local Micro Center prices:

6TB HDD = $0.036/GB

850 Evo = $0.34/GB 

960 Evo = $0.47/GB

960 Pro = $0.65/GB

900p = $1.2/GB.  

The top drives always carry a premium just as anything else at the top in its class with regards to PC parts.  If value is a concern, the 850 Evo or 960 Evo line are obvious choices when you consider how very close the cheaper 960 Evo is in performance to the more expensive 960 Pro.  In some areas, the 960 Evo is not only cheaper, but it's faster.

In your case, since this is a video editing machine, sustained transfers of the 960 Pro will probably be advantageous over that of the 900p, but only if you have something fast enough to actually transfer it to.  It would have to be 2x 960 Pros or 2x 960 Evos in a RAID 0 because one 960 Pro or 960 Evo can't write as fast as one 960 Pro can read.  Even many HDDs in a RAID 0 will still bottleneck the 960 Pro's sustained read due to their shit write speeds and the restrictive DMI 2.0 chipset bus of x99.  This in turn makes the 960 Pro's only advantage (besides cost) over the 900p pretty much useless.

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

snip

I'm was talking about Blu-Ray UHD disc which requires everything I listed, link you posted is only for Netflix.

------

By time Intel brings out bigger drives Samsungs Z-NAND SSD will be out.

----

900p wouldn't be useful at all, I would run out of storage half way through recording. I already have 3x(2TB Each) 850 in Raid-0. I thought of Switching out the X99 board and getting Skylake-X board. Not sure it's worth doing, Since I been hearing the Asus boards are a bit unstable.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

I'm was talking about Blu-Ray UHD disc which requires everything I listed, link you posted is only for Netflix.

Understood.  I know nothing about Blu-Ray UHD requirements.  Never cared to play Bul-Ray UHD movies on any of my PCs.  :D

By time Intel brings out bigger drives Samsungs Z-NAND SSD will be out.

Yeah, Samsung's ZNAND is looking good.  It still has higher read / write latency than Intel's 3D Xpoint, but I bet it's also going to be cheaper.  Intel is in the infant phase with 3D Xpoint and it's not even as fast as it's going to get.  I suspect that the larger drives available next year are going to be even faster than the current 900p.  Time will tell.

900p wouldn't be useful at all, I would run out of storage half way through recording. I already have 3x(2TB Each) 850 in Raid-0.

Yeah, definitely can't overcome that space limitation.  Right now 480 GB is all you get.  Big factor on why I'm using Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB NVME drives right now.  Out of curiosity, what are you recording that consumes hundreds of GB at a time?  Moving those to HDD is going to SUCK!!  If you're working with 400+ GB files sizes at a time, something tells me that you're going to need more CPU horsepower in the editing phase at some point.  

I thought of Switching out the X99 board and getting Skylake-X board. Not sure it's worth doing, Since I been hearing the Asus boards are a bit unstable.

Asus x299 boards are every bit as stable as any x99 board I ever had to include the x99 ROG Rampage V Edition 10 that I still have for some reason.  xD  I like my x299 Rampage VI Apex, but if you need the extra memory DIMM slots, you'd need to go with the x299 ROG Rampage VI Extreme.  The Extreme only has 1x DIMM.2 slot compared to the 2 x DIMM.2 slots on the Apex, which is odd.  That and the lack of dual 8-pin EPS connections.  Extreme has 1x 8-pin + 1x 6-pin where the Apex has 2x 8-pin.  

Have you considered x399 / 1950x?   Pretty remarkable workhorse for the money and the x399 Asus ROG Zenith Extreme is a pretty packed board.  I wouldn't use my x399 for gaming or anything, but for productivity type stuff, it's definitely a great deal stronger than my 7900x in non-AVX2 work.  If you do a lot of AVX2 definitely go with Skylake-X over Threadripper.  If you don't do a lot of AVX2, the 1950x's is just packed with cores and PCIe lanes.  Really hard to beat.

I see people crying about all kinds of stuff with highend platforms, none of which I ever run into.  Sure there are small quirks here and there, but that happens with every platform.  I can't help but think that too many people simply get in over their heads when they buy stuff and don't know how to make it work.  In turn, they blame manufacturers for shit they can't figure out.  We see in in the LTT forums everyday.  :D

The 6950x is still a beast and time is your friend.  Intel has already confirmed the x299 refresh for the end of 2018, so it might be worth waiting until then before deciding either way.  

33 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Understood.  I know nothing about Blu-Ray UHD requirements.  Never cared to play Bul-Ray UHD movies on any of my PCs.  :D

Yeah, Samsung's ZNAND is looking good.  It still has higher read / write latency than Intel's 3D Xpoint, but I bet it's also going to be cheaper.  Intel is in the infant phase with 3D Xpoint and it's not even as fast as it's going to get.  I suspect that the larger drives available next year are going to be even faster than the current 900p.  Time will tell.

Yeah, definitely can't overcome that space limitation.  Right now 480 GB is all you get.  Big factor on why I'm using Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB NVME drives right now.  Out of curiosity, what are you recording that consumes hundreds of GB at a time?  Moving those to HDD is going to SUCK!!  If you're working with 400+ GB files sizes at a time, something tells me that you're going to need more CPU horsepower in the editing phase at some point.  

Asus x299 boards are every bit as stable as any x99 board I ever had to include the x99 ROG Rampage V Edition 10 that I still have for some reason.  xD  I like my x299 Rampage VI Apex, but if you need the extra memory DIMM slots, you'd need to go with the x299 ROG Rampage VI Extreme.  The Extreme only has 1x DIMM.2 slot compared to the 2 x DIMM.2 slots on the Apex, which is odd.  That and the lack of dual 8-pin EPS connections.  Extreme has 1x 8-pin + 1x 6-pin where the Apex has 2x 8-pin.  

Have you considered x399 / 1950x?   Pretty remarkable workhorse for the money and the x399 Asus ROG Zenith Extreme is a pretty packed board.  I wouldn't use my x399 for gaming or anything, but for productivity type stuff, it's definitely a great deal stronger than my 7900x in non-AVX2 work.  If you do a lot of AVX2 definitely go with Skylake-X over Threadripper.  If you don't do a lot of AVX2, the 1950x's is just packed with cores and PCIe lanes.  Really hard to beat.

I see people crying about all kinds of stuff with highend platforms, none of which I ever run into.  Sure there are small quirks here and there, but that happens with every platform.  I can't help but think that too many people simply get in over their heads when they buy stuff and don't know how to make it work.  In turn, they blame manufacturers for shit they can't figure out.  We see in in the LTT forums everyday.  :D

The 6950x is still a beast and time is your friend.  Intel has already confirmed the x299 refresh for the end of 2018, so it might be worth waiting until then before deciding either way.  

Raw 4K60 Footage, before Encoding phase. Actually the CPU is not required that much since I have built in video engine in my capture card that does most of the work.

------

It seems Extreme VI is constantly out of Stock.

14 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Actually the CPU is not required that much since I have built in video engine in my capture card that does most of the work.

What capture card are you using?

10 hours ago, done12many2 said:

What capture card are you using?

Magewell

pro-hdmi-4k-plus-interface-1.2-min.png

It's on there website somewhere that CPU usage is very low. Also HDR is heading to the card shortly, the firmware is in testing now.

On 12/11/2017 at 12:26 AM, done12many2 said:

Blu-Ray UHD is brand new to market and only one or two companies actually makes drives due to how limited the market is and will remain. You know someone will figure out a way to bypass all this stupid encryption. Until someone relaxes the encryption needed to watch these movies UHD is DOA.

-------

One thing I just noticed is x299 boards only have 6 to 8 Sata ports. That's not going to work for me. Since I have 9 Sata devices. I really don't want to be looking for pcie Sata addon cards.

----

As for Asus ROG Zenith Extreme, I don't touch AMD. Had a discussion about AMD awhile back in this thread. I'm only going to stick with Intel. The Zenith board does look allot better then the Rampage since it's doesn't have dozen RGB plates on the board.

---

As Always there is no way to keep up to technology, second you get newest chipset something else is just around the corner. I would love to have i9 XE CPU just for video encoding alone. Since it has hit 200fps when encoding in x264 and 100fps with x265. You add on top of that it can do hardware base x265 encoding, it's basically best chip for encoding for the consumer.

There is one advantage to X99 most don't see, X99 is one few chipsets on consumer level that can actually use Xeon CPU's.

2 hours ago, Revan654 said:

It seems there already reported issues with the new Vue Coolant from PrimoChill. This is why I don't put "Show" Coolant into my PC.

What the hell!? :o 

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

3 hours ago, Revan654 said:

It seems there already reported issues with the new Vue Coolant from PrimoChill. This is why I don't put "Show" Coolant into my PC.

Well if there was Mayhems pastel on there before I'd expect that because it's listed as super incompatible but that looks like it's just eating the tubeing... 

Builds:

Spoiler