?????Flash a HD 7970 to R9 280X????

ace2k8

I heir some buzz about people flashing the 7970 to a 280x and having it show up as a 280x in the new drivers.  Has any one had any success or tragedy stories on doing this.  

Whats the point?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

you can potentially brick your card, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a dual bios card

Whats the point?

you get the positional audio upgrade, that and more efficient power usage

I thought true audio was only for the r7 260x, r9 290, and r9 290x

I thought true audio was only for the r7 260x, r9 290, and r9 290x

wow I haven't see you in ages, and I thought the true audio was for the entire line of new graphics cards

You would also have the better overclocking this they got on the new R9 serise.  And i do have a dual bios card i might give it a try if any one see this working in real life and its stable. 

You wont get audio upgrade.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

wow I haven't see you in ages, and I thought the true audio was for the entire line of new graphics cards

R9 280X is just a re-brand not a new card

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

R9 280X is just a re-brand not a new card

I know, but it has a firmware update

nope only like 2-3 of them

But what about AMD new overclocking in the firmware. Its likes nvidia's thing where the card will go as fast as the power and cooling allow it. I forget the name of it. 

GPU BOOST 2.0 that's the name of Nvidia's things.  Whats AMD Comback called. 

So you're basically saying how to flash a 7970 to a 7970. There is no point in doing that and I do not know how you would do it. There is no benefit in doing so, both support mantle, both don't support TrueAudio.

Sadly only the R7 260 and the R9 290X i think

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

I know, but it has a firmware update

It's not just a firmware update, TrueAudio makes use of an newer audio DSP not present in the 7000 series cards.

R7-260X gets it because it's a rebranded 7790, which is a newer architecture than all the other 7000 series cards, and therefore has the audio DSP.

Anyway, back on topic, even if you could flash the R9-280X firmware to the 7970, nothing would change.  It's the same GPU.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

no...the new audio chip isn't in the 7970/r9 280x and it wouldn't really affect the powerefficiency

no...the new audio chip isn't in the 7970/r9 280x and it wouldn't really affect the powerefficiency

It's not just a firmware update, TrueAudio makes use of an newer audio DSP not present in the 7000 series cards.

R7-260X gets it because it's a rebranded 7790, which is a newer architecture than all the other 7000 series cards, and therefore has the audio DSP.

Anyway, back on topic, even if you could flash the R9-280X firmware to the 7970, nothing would change.  It's the same GPU.

Sadly only the R7 260 and the R9 290X i think

k I think I get it guys

There are no benefits what so ever from flashing a 7970 to an R9 280X, you can overclock your card to match an R9 280X.
True Audio is a GCN 2.0 feature only, so only the R9 290X, 290, 260X & 7790 can physically support it.

There is no real benefit to Powertune 2.0 when overclocking, because your card will continually hit the maximum core clock regardless.

There are no benefits what so ever from flashing a 7970 to an R9 280X, you can overclock your card to match an R9 280X.

True Audio is a GCN 2.0 feature only, so only the R9 290X, 290, 260X & 7790 can physically support it.

There is no real benefit to Powertune 2.0 when overclocking, because your card will continually hit the maximum core clock regardless.

GCN 2.0 doesn't exist.

Audio DSP is a feature of GCN 1.1 - found in 7790 already as well as 260x (same GPU core).

It also gets introduced inside R9 290x and 290 but we don't know the exact version of GCN inside those. It certainly is at least 1.1 but it might be even more refreshed one (1.2? 1.5?).

However it DEFINITELY isn't GCN 2.0 because AMD would make it much bigger deal. GCN 2.0 equivalent will come next year probably with 20nm GPUs.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

GCN 2.0 doesn't exist.

Audio DSP is a feature of GCN 1.1 - found in 7790 already as well as 260x (same GPU core).

It also gets introduced inside R9 290x and 290 but we don't know the exact version of GCN inside those. It certainly is at least 1.1 but it might be even more refreshed one (1.2? 1.5?).

However it DEFINITELY isn't GCN 2.0 because AMD would make it much bigger deal. GCN 2.0 equivalent will come next year probably with 20nm GPUs.

TrueAudio

Whoever thought AMD would be pioneering audio acceleration on the GPU? Gotta say, we did not see that one coming. TruAudio is hardware that has a fully programmable audio pipeline. The caveat being only the Radeon R9 290X, R9 290, and R7 260X will support TrueAudio. That is GCN 2.0 and GCN 1.1. All other GCN 1.0 parts don't have this technology.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/07/amd_radeon_r9_r7_series_rebranding_introduction/2#.UlxNzRDDDTc

The press has continually referred to the new architecture as GCN 2.0 , so I'm going to refer to it as GCN 2.0 until the release of the 290X.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32624-amd%E2%80%99s-raja-koduri-talks-hawaii

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/amd_announce_top_bottom_gpu_refresh.html

Not all press, for example Tom's Hardware said it is unknown (as in, under NDA).

Well i would like to see some one run some benchmarks on a Stock 7970 and a Flashed 7970 at the same speeds to see if there is any resion some one would give this a try. 

Well i would like to see some one run some benchmarks on a Stock 7970 and a Flashed 7970 at the same speeds to see if there is any resion some one would give this a try. 

I'm pretty sure what you would see on the benchmarks is what you would see in a stock 7970 vs stock 280x benchmark, so little to no difference at all. Personally I don't think it's worth the risk man.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

More of the 7970 and 7950 or R9 280x and R9 270X.