A CPU with no heatsink at all?

Go to solution Solved by SnowyMus,

I do know the Raspberry Pi CPUs don't have heatsinks, though the whole Pi uses around 4-6 watts.

If you're fine with massive throttling, you could run an Intel CPU with just the IHS on it. Not a long time ago, one of my friends made the mistake of not putting on a CPU cooler on his i5-6600. After installing Windows just fine, he found out games like GTA V were running poorly on even low settings. He kept reinstalling his graphics drivers or using older drivers for an hour or so, thinking it was an NVIDIA driver issue. We later found out that he forgot to install a cooler on the CPU, resulting in a CPU bottleneck due to throttling performance. Once the cooler was installed, life continued as normal.

Unless your CPU has a TDP around the Pi's, you really need something to draw heat away from the CPU or it'll suck, plus running it that hot all of the time will most likely shorten its lifespan. This isn't something you can avoid.

So this question may seem rather silly, but i was wondering with the low power variants of CPU's from AMD/Intel - i.e. 35w or lower, if you literally just had a modern efficient low power CPU on a motherboard with no form of heatsink whatsoever (just case fans are providing airflow to be nice in this scenario), would the CPU be able to perform without overheating to hell? 

i do not intend to try this by the way, just something i suddenly wondered, any answers will be appreciated :)

you have to have some form of heatsink on the chip. There are heatsinks that are passive with no fans on them to help pull the heat away from the chip. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Are we talking 35w? NOOOOOO. It'll overheat in a matter of seconds.
Are we talking a watt? Maybe.
Are we talking half a watt? Probably. These chips exist, and have a matte top, rather than an exposed die.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

You would need a CPU that draws like 3 or 4 watts of power to be able to do that, and even then you probably should at least have a big fat piece of metal on the CPU.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I do know the Raspberry Pi CPUs don't have heatsinks, though the whole Pi uses around 4-6 watts.

If you're fine with massive throttling, you could run an Intel CPU with just the IHS on it. Not a long time ago, one of my friends made the mistake of not putting on a CPU cooler on his i5-6600. After installing Windows just fine, he found out games like GTA V were running poorly on even low settings. He kept reinstalling his graphics drivers or using older drivers for an hour or so, thinking it was an NVIDIA driver issue. We later found out that he forgot to install a cooler on the CPU, resulting in a CPU bottleneck due to throttling performance. Once the cooler was installed, life continued as normal.

Unless your CPU has a TDP around the Pi's, you really need something to draw heat away from the CPU or it'll suck, plus running it that hot all of the time will most likely shorten its lifespan. This isn't something you can avoid.