Can't decide on a new laptop.

OK so I had a bit of bad luck and I had my laptop stolen out of my truck. (It was my fault I left it unlocked). I'm trying to decide on a new one to get. I need it for class and I want to be able to play games on it as i normal used it when I go to LAN parties instead of moving around my tower. I don't know if i should buy the same laptop or try a new one. The dell I had was nice but I want to try to find some thing better since i have to buy a new one any way. My max is $950 usd. If some one has suggestions for great replacement that would be great. Thank you guys so much for the help! 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834298770

^^^The dell I owned before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331906

^^^^^^^^ Lenovo that I found in my price range.

If any one is feeling supper generous any suggestions for a backpacks that can fit a good sized laptop would be amazing. :)

Dell may get slightly better battery life but the Lenovo is much sleeker and nicer in my opinion plus its more powerful. 

I dislike the lenovo for how it looks... Though it is probably the best vfm laptop at that specs. Asus has some nice laptops t that price-range and specs, and I believe many of them are with full aluminum chassis...

The Lenovo is build the best in every single way, they cut a lot of corners on the Dell to get it down to that price and TBH, they cut too many corners for me, it is a cheaply build laptop. The Y700 is build better, it has a better keyboard, it has better speakers.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

9 hours ago, kuzba said:

I dislike the lenovo for how it looks... Though it is probably the best vfm laptop at that specs. Asus has some nice laptops t that price-range and specs, and I believe many of them are with full aluminum chassis...

the Asus laptops he can afford are all made entirely of plastic. The 1100-1400$ RoG models have a metal top lid and the 2000$ ones are entirely metal.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

i'm curious what level of gaming you're wanting to play? if it's just medium to light gaming i can recommend an incredible laptop i bought for $550 a few days ago that has a lot of features and good specs. great for class as well.

2 minutes ago, acer4thewin27 said:

i'm curious what level of gaming you're wanting to play? if it's just medium to light gaming i can recommend an incredible laptop i bought for $550 a few days ago that has a lot of features and good specs. great for class as well.

Which laptop would that be? If you're going to recommend an Acer E5 then I can spare you the trouble - it's a poor product and not remotely worth 500$

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

12 minutes ago, acer4thewin27 said:

ok just trying to help. :) i love it coming from a laptop from 2009.

That doesn't make it a good product. It has a crappy TN display, a cheap keyboard with poor fedback, plastic chassis and low-grade build quality and materials. It's just not worth the downgrade in both performance and quality when for 800$ he is looking at a 7559 - a vastly superior product with better cooling and a much beefier battery.

Dell has better cooling system, longer battery life and good customer service, but it doesn't have a GTX 965M version while my HP OMEN has.

But it seems the i5 OMEN doesn't sell in US.

Tho I don't trust Lenovo, but at this price, the Y700 is actually a good choice.

Can not figure out why there's less options in US than in China...

3 minutes ago, theREALmarioTan said:

Dell has better cooling system, longer battery life and good customer service, but it doesn't have a GTX 965M version while my HP OMEN has.

But it seems the i5 OMEN doesn't sell in US.

Tho I don't trust Lenovo, but at this price, the Y700 is actually a good choice.

Cause everything is manufactured in China nowadays :D

1 hour ago, theREALmarioTan said:

because most things are made there?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

LIES. It's the Bangladesh and India age. :D 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

33 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

nah, my laptop is actually made in Malaysia:D

7 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

But the weird thing is that, the price is always higher in China than in other countries for the same thing (like iphones or laptops or even shoes). So Overseas Shopping is now so popular in China. 

And we have a nickname for Lenovo "美帝良心想" , which means "US Lenovo is better", because when you compare the EXACT same product selling in China and US, Chinese one is always less worth buying, like DDR4 changed to DDR3:(, 72% NTSC IPS screen changed into 45% NTSC even TN screen and lower resolution:/, SSD changed from PM871 to CM871>:(

Now you guys should know why I just don't trust LenovoxD

3 minutes ago, theREALmarioTan said:

SNIP

that is not up to lenovo, that is up to your resellers, they make special orders.

Yes shops can make special orders.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

that is not up to lenovo, that is up to your resellers, they make special orders.

Yes shops can make special orders.

lol but in China it's all the same, no matter where you go, even on big online shopping website, those laptops just not as good as in US. So I think it's Lenovo's selling strategy or some thing...

Just now, theREALmarioTan said:

lol but in China it's all the same, no matter where you go, even on big online shopping website, those laptops just not as good as in US. So I think it's Lenovo's selling strategy or some thing...

Well every single company does this, some laptops get a dGPU in America, but not in EU. Also when you start looking at who owns those websites and the shops then you most likely start to see that end the end it is the same guy/company that owns most of them and therefor they also get the same things, just different pricing and sales, depeding on a lot of things. Go to Lenovo's own website and check what they offer, if they only offer the same as the resellers do then it is a regional thing.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well every single company does this, some laptops get a dGPU in America, but not in EU. Also when you start looking at who owns those websites and the shops then you most likely start to see that end the end it is the same guy/company that owns most of them and therefor they also get the same things, just different pricing and sales, depeding on a lot of things. Go to Lenovo's own website and check what they offer, if they only offer the same as the resellers do then it is a regional thing.

Yup, even on it's own website. Tho Lenovo is originally from China, it seems that this company "concerns" more about US.xDxD

BTW, the Y700 is really better then Dell the Original Poster owned. 

1 minute ago, theREALmarioTan said:

Yup, even on it's own website. Tho Lenovo is originally from China, it seems that this company "concerns" more about US.xDxD

BTW, the Y700 is really better then Dell the Original Poster owned. 

huh oh well, they just don't like you guys :P 

Yep the Y700 is better than the 7559

• 2 months later...

Hey so yea OP here completely forgot to come back and check it. to answer one of the questions. I got to a lot of Lan parties so I do game on my laptop a ton. But turns out I didn't go with either of them I spent way more money then I should have I bought a Asus gl502vm. I also bought an m.2. to put in it. The reason I got this one is because I wanted it no other reason. I spent my money and i'm super happy. I've been using it every day for a couple months and have no problems.