Amazon to issue full refunds in case of Note 7 recall - does not want the phones back?!

zMeul

source: http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-714419/

Amazon has sent e-mails to their customers regarding the Note 7 recall:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We have learned of a potential safety issue regarding the Samsung Galaxy Note7, which you purchased on Amazon.com.

According to the manufacturer (Samsung), there is a potential safety issue with the battery. Samsung’s official announcement can be found here: http://news.samsung.com/us/2016/09/02/official-statement-samsung-galaxy-note7/

It is recommended that you stop using the phone immediately, turn it off, and do not plug it in or charge it.

In order to obtain a full refund, contact Amazon Customer Service. Please do not return the phone right now. We will follow up with you as we learn more, and the refund is yours to keep.

If you purchased accessories for this phone on Amazon.com, we can help you return and get a refund on those items. https://www.amazon.com/contact-us/.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately of this potential safety issue.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause, but trust you will understand that the safety and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority.

Thanks for shopping on Amazon.com.

it's possible that Amazon does not want to deal with a potential fire hazard by asking customers to ship back the units

this is a huge fuck-up for Samsung; and maybe, just maybe, it's awake up call to have better Q.A. on the products they sell ... wishful thinking, I know

---

Samsung's recall program for the USA: http://news.samsung.com/us/2016/09/02/samsung-establishes-u-s-product-exchange-program-galaxy-note7/

The U.S. Product Exchange Program will offer consumers the following choices:

1. Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (available next week)
2. Exchange current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7 specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices.

As a gesture of appreciation, consumers will receive a $25 gift card or bill credit from select carrier retail outlets when choosing a Galaxy S7 family device or the Galaxy Note 7 within the exchange program.

Galaxy Note7 owners can contact or visit the retail outlet where they purchased their device or call 1-800-SAMSUNG to initiate a product exchange and to resolve any other questions or concerns.

for buyers it's amazing, for samshit it's a major disaster, they lose millions of device's and millions in money!

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

More likely is they'll set up a deal with another carrier/retailer to handle walk in refunds/exchanges on their behalf. Or maybe Samsung will handle it and have the phones shipped directly back to them instead of Amazon. 

Either way they're not gonna give you a refund and let you keep the phone. 

FTR it says please don't return your phones YET. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

it's possible that Amazon does not want to deal with a potential fire hazard by asking customers to ship back the units

this is a huge fuck-up for Samsung; and maybe, just maybe, it's awake up call to have better Q.A. on the products they sell ... wishful thinking, I know

There would be no fire hazard in shipping the units back, not unless they are being charged while being sent back... They say they don't want the returns yet, so it's most likely that eventually they will, they aren't going to give out refunds for an issue which doesn't even affect all Note 7's. 

And no company would have done enough Q.A to spot this fault (without serious luck) which has so far affected an incredibly small amount of devices. 

It is a huge fuck up for sure, and even though it was the battery suppliers fault, the blame still falls on Samsung, but they are certainly going above and beyond to fix the issue and make up for it. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

spare screen in case of crack, check :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Wow, that sucks for Samsung. The amount of bad PR they are getting for another company's mistake is sad.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Wow, that sucks for Samsung. The amount of bad PR they are getting for another company's mistake is sad.

Ultimately samsung did outsource the manufacture of their batteries, and this is the result of substandard product/part at the cost of maybe a couple dollars per part in savings

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

14 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Ultimately samsung did outsource the manufacture of their batteries, and this is the result of substandard product/part at the cost of maybe a couple dollars per part in savings

"Let's buy the same exact part for more money, our customers and our stockholders love that shit" said no company ever.

-KuJoe

The worst thing is that apart from the issue of spontaneously bursting into flames,  the note 7 is a VERY solid phone... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Of course they don't want the phones back, why would they want excess stock of potentially explosive devices?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

10 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Of course they don't want the phones back, why would they want excess stock of potentially explosive devices?

also add the mail service or Couriers to the list of people that don't want to be carrying around time bombs. 

For anyone that wonders what happens when a battery explodes, I know someone who's S5 battery blew up last week, and the photo's are insane. He threw the phone seconds before it blew up in his face.

Here's an aftershot.

14231267_10153949527522426_7304178082034122218_o.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I think you skimmed over a key part of your bold quote, "Right Now" as in they're probably talking with Samsung on what they need to do with the phones. I'm sure once that's all been sorted out they will ask for the phones and if you requested a refund and don't send it in they'll probably charge you for it.

If Amazon were to recall the phones properly, they'd probably be obliged to pay for shipping which would cost an absolute fortune. For them a simple refund is much cheaper.

I don't buy the "ticking timebomb" argument, considering I doubt the couriers are going to be fast-charging them in transit.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

If Amazon were to recall the phones properly, they'd probably be obliged to pay for shipping which would cost an absolute fortune. For them a simple refund is much cheaper.

I don't buy the "ticking timebomb" argument, considering I doubt the couriers are going to be fast-charging them in transit.

Holy smokes! Either you're severely overpaying for shipping to your house or you're severly underpaying for cell phones. Either way it's not cheaper to eat a $1000 phone cost than to pay a few dollars for shipping.

-KuJoe

12 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

If Amazon were to recall the phones properly, they'd probably be obliged to pay for shipping which would be an absolute fortune. For them a simple refund is much cheaper.

Yeah, it's pretty standard fair for Amazon. I ordered a vga video splitter last year from Amazon, and they shipped me a 400 dollar Server Power strip instead. Their literal response to me when I emailed them with photo's was:

"Normally we would create a replacement order for the item right away, to be shipped to you as soon as possible at no additional charge...  Unfortunately, this item is currently unavailable from our supplier... therefore, I've issued full refund for this order in the amount of CDN$ 45.19 to your MasterCard. there's no need to return the wrong item. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it, whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you."

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

12 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Amazon didnt  institute the recall, Samsung did. Im sure they are getting compensated from Samsung in some way. All this falls on Samsung. Maybe Samsung is hoping if you get a refund, they will have less phones being returned as part of the recall. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Yeah, it's pretty standard fair for Amazon. I ordered a vga video splitter last year from Amazon, and they shipped me a 400 dollar Server Power strip instead. Their literal response to me when I emailed them with photo's was:

"Normally we would create a replacement order for the item right away, to be shipped to you as soon as possible at no additional charge...  Unfortunately, this item is currently unavailable from our supplier... therefore, I've issued full refund for this order in the amount of CDN$ 45.19 to your MasterCard. there's no need to return the wrong item. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it, whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you."

like a friend of mine who received an email from that said that his package was lost, he would be refunded and if the package ever arrived to him he could do whatever with it. My friend bought the same phone again wit the refund received it and 2 days later the lost phone arrived at his door

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Holy smokes! Either you're severely overpaying for shipping to your house or you're severly underpaying for cell phones. Either way it's not cheaper to eat a $1000 phone cost than to pay a few dollars for shipping.

A few dollars for every single unit sold is going to cost Amazon hundreds of thousands, in addition to the refunds or replacements needed to go with people not having the phone they bought from you. This is the cheapest way Amazon could have done it.

5 hours ago, Bsmith said:

for buyers it's amazing, for samshit it's a major disaster, they lose millions of device's and millions in money!

Millions?

Remember when Intel had to recall mobos due to their defective chipset SATA controller. It cost Intel about a billion dollars.

Note 7 is an order of magnitude much more expensive than intel mobos and sells alot more units. This is going to cost a huge fortune on Samsung.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

3 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Millions?

Remember when Intel had to recall mobos due to their defective chipset SATA controller. It cost Intel about a billion dollars.

Note 7 is an order of magnitude much more expensive than intel mobos and sells alot more units. This is going to cost a huge fortune on Samsung.

So about a quarter of what they make each quarter then... 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)