Need a standalone microphone! Help me please!?

kappakali

Microphone  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Modmic
    • Snowball
    • Other (post below, just make sure it is cheaper than $60 USD)

So finally my pair of $9 gaming headphones have kicked the bucket (they lasted 3 or 4 months, suprisingly, and even worked really well), and this time around I have decided that since I always seem to break every expensive set of gaming headphones I get, which I have no idea how... that I would get a standalone microphone and use this pair of general headphones I have laying around. I really need something that won't break, and the headphones always seem to do so (something about me taking them on and off improperly, or maybe its because my head is so big..).

Currently deciding between the Modmic (a headset that attaches onto the side of a pair of headphones), and a Blue Snowball iCE. My budget is max $50 but I may be able to extent another 5 or 10 depending on circumstance.

I'm totally open to suggestions other than the modmic or snowball, but those are my main picks for now.

Modmic: https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98O6R4/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1472855164&sr=1-3&keywords=modmic

Snowball: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B006DIA77E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472855278&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+microphone

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

Snowball is alright but I absolutely love my Samson Meteor, I'd take a look at that. Don't get a modmic, too many cables.

Snowball is alright but I absolutely love my Samson Meteor, I'd take a look at that. Don't get a modmic, too many cables.

The snowball just sound meh/bad to me, I would personally rather have a mod mic than a snowball.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The snowball just sound meh/bad to me, I would personally rather have a mod mic than a snowball.

The thing is that hes going from a shitty pair of £9 headphones to a £50 snowball mic. I did the exact same thing and it made me nerdasm. It was amazing. And the mic has lasted me years. Its by no means a bad mic. 

Although stuff like a razor mic would blow it away

I've bought two of these to use with my recently bought Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80Ohms):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F84YMZQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i3_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=66C54JXEZZHHPBH1A62P&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=cdb42b11-1ad3-4a1f-8333-e9ef614c88d1&pf_rd_i=desktop

And they sound perfectly fine for VOIP, miles better than my notebook's built-in mic. Maybe you should look into cheaper options if you don't plan to use it on quality streams/videos.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

4 minutes ago, Starglider said:

Yetti

Would love to, but sadly too expensive.

Also your profile picture is amazing.

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

11 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

I've bought two of these to use with my recently bought Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80Ohms):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F84YMZQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i3_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=66C54JXEZZHHPBH1A62P&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=cdb42b11-1ad3-4a1f-8333-e9ef614c88d1&pf_rd_i=desktop

And they sound perfectly fine for VOIP, miles better than my notebook's built-in mic. Maybe you should look into cheaper options if you don't plan to use it on quality streams/videos.

I have ventured into that area before, so I might be looking for something a bit more quality.

Totally keeping my eyes open to all price points in my budget however.

7 hours ago, Ru5h said:

The thing is that hes going from a shitty pair of £9 headphones to a £50 snowball mic. I did the exact same thing and it made me nerdasm. It was amazing. And the mic has lasted me years. Its by no means a bad mic. 

Although stuff like a razor mic would blow it away

well yeah it is better than what he is used to, but the snowball still sounds a bit tinny to me. I have gone from shitty headset mic to 1-2$ china mic (those were amazing for the price, not even joking) to the mic I have right now, the Omnitronic M80 and that thing is pretty damn good for the price. I don't really think that any of the blue mics are a really good value and the snowball also just looks stupid IMO, I would much rather have a mod mic or the mic I have right now.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

well yeah it is better than what he is used to, but the snowball still sounds a bit tinny to me. I have gone from shitty headset mic to 1-2$ china mic (those were amazing for the price, not even joking) to the mic I have right now, the Omnitronic M80 and that thing is pretty damn good for the price. I don't really think that any of the blue mics are a really good value and the snowball also just looks stupid IMO, I would much rather have a mod mic or the mic I have right now.

Well, in my personal opinion is that a good mic is a good mic no matter how it looks. and I have a snowball mic right now and it certainly doesn't sound tinny, I guess it might have just been you sir, although defects can happen

It also comes with its own filter, just, if you didn't know

44 minutes ago, Ru5h said:

Well, in my personal opinion is that a good mic is a good mic no matter how it looks. and I have a snowball mic right now and it certainly doesn't sound tinny, I guess it might have just been you sir, although defects can happen

It also comes with its own filter, just, if you didn't know

well I am not alone, many of my audio friends also think the same and I think that jay also said the same in his latest tech talk. Some people like them, some people dislike them.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

well I am not alone, many of my audio friends also think the same and I think that jay also said the same in his latest tech talk. Some people like them, some people dislike them.

Well, its perfectly fine to have differing opinions, but you have to agree that is by no means a bad mic 

11 minutes ago, Ru5h said:

Well, its perfectly fine to have differing opinions, but you have to agree that is by no means a bad mic 

no it is not bad, but also not the best IMO