Potential PC Building Service UK

AshleyAndrews

Hi all

Basically im extreemely interested in looking at starting a small business in the UK of building custom pc's dependant on the clients needs. Good honest person not planning to sell hardware you dont need.

Im here asking for opinions on what you guys and girls would love to see from someone such as myself. What sort of personal service would you want? How much would you pay for a service to build a PC customed for your needs ETC.

Many thanks in advance

Ashley Andrews

LMG following is a way of life... :D

First thing you need to do is look up what you'd be responsible for (from a legal standpoint) after you built and sold the system, then you need to figure out if that amount you charge is worth the effort (no point if you can't support the business off the profits).  You also need to look at who/what your competition is going to be, it'd be hard to compete against dell or another well known company especially when it come to customer service and support.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Well I wish you luck with your PC building service. So far many people I have seen wanting to do this sort of thing haven't been very successful. Also it may be hard finding clients, someone buying a prebuilt likely is either lazy or they don't know much about PCs. Unless you can find a decent way to make your business stand out from competitors, it's probably going to be difficult to find customers. 

This idea seems like it would be successful  , if you do it right. You have to make sure there is enough of a market for custom pcs where you plan on setting up shop and also remember that once a customer buys a computer from you he won't come back for a couple of years (unless they are a extra enthusiast but if they are they would probably want to build it themselves )  to get customers to come back you could also provide repair services.

For building Pc here are some thing you should provide:

Things that are hard with out proper equipment and training like Hardline water cooling or painting computer parts

Being able to design any Aesthetic a customer might want 

Sell more then just pc get peripherals to 

Professional Pc advice 

Decorate your shop with a 'gaming theme' (leds, cool logos, computer cases all around)

Good Costomer service

To be honest, I wouldn't ever pay someone to build a PC for me and would build it myself if you don't offer anything unique. I would, however, consider buying a custom pc that has a unique modded case/theme. I think I'd only ever pay about 7-13% more for the pc, unless it's modded or unique. e.g. custom spray-painted designed or a custom case and unique features.

thanks alot for the quick replies. Its great to hear what think so i can be fully aware before taking the plunge. Keep them coming :)

It's an incredibly niche thing. Someone who doesn't care about high performance PCs will buy a prebuilt, someone who does care about high performance PCs will probably build it themselves. It would be hard to make a profit off of custom system building alone.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It's an incredibly niche thing. Someone who doesn't care about high performance PCs will buy a prebuilt, someone who does care about high performance PCs will probably build it themselves. It would be hard to make a profit off of custom system building alone.

I understand what your saying. i was thinking more custom built for needs. basic to full blown gaming or creative. It also doesnt have to be a huge business to make mega profits. more to get the word of mouth thing speading and some basic income

I actually think that your best way of making a sustainable amount of profit would be from making custom things like cases, customising the GPU cooler, cpu cooler maybe whilst making it fairly affordable. Maybe even mod cases like making an S340's side panels all tempered glass like I've seen before.