New Lenovo’s Yoga Book - 360 degree laptop without (yes) the keyboard

GoodBytes

...or at least attempt to....

The Lenovo Yoga Book is a super thin laptop which instead of the base carrying a keyboard, it uses a touch sensitive typing surface, similarly to the Microsoft Touch Cover for the Surface 1/2 days, but perfectly flat. That same surface is also a Wacom pen surface to draw or write notes. It targets more students, and is price to target this market.

sokane_160812_1184_yoga_book-0765.0.jpg

They are 2 models of the system, both with the same specs, size, weight. One with Windows 10, and the other, pictured above, modified Android.

The Android version has been modified to include a task bar, and allow apps to run in window mode. And you have a task bar like under Windows to switch between apps.

20_Yoga_Book_Browse_Create_Modes_G_G.0.p

12_Yoga_Book_Painting_Create_Mode_Portra

The specs are:

• 8500mAh battery (15h with Android, 13h with Windows 10 -- claimed)
  • 10.1-inch 1920x1200 display (16:10)
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 64GB storage (probably eMMC)
  • microSD slot
  • Intel Atom 5x CPU
  • 8MP camera
  • Micro-HDMI and mini-USB 2.0 port
  • Windows 10 or Android Marshmallow

The price is similar as well. The Android model is $499 US, and the Windows model is 549.00$ (so 50$ more).

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/31/12713442/lenovo-yoga-book-tablet-design-interview-android-windows

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/31/12714672/lenovo-yoga-book-announced-specs-price-release-date-ifa-2016

Do you think Lenovo has something here? Personally, I don't get it, sure it is cheaper than the Surface 3 (and more powerful due to age, but i would wait for the Surface 4, if that comes out), but then you can't write or draw on the screen, and you don't have a physical keyboard. And you have a full size USB port and can use it while plugged in, while here, like Apple MacBook, you need to pick.

I guess the Android option can be interesting if you are with Google ecosystem, but seeing the experience in the video above on how a program is maximize/restored... it is pretty slow. So I don't know if its only this that is slow, or the Android experience is slow. Maybe they should have waited for Android N, where it actually has native dual app run, maybe it could provide a better experience.

What do you think?

these clickbait titles.... anyway AIO OSU! computer? :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

How is it click bait. It is different.. maybe I should call it convertible.. yea I'll do that.

Reel keyboard plis...(but in seriousness, this looks like a great laptop for art students or whoever that usually uses a drawing pad ;))

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Laptops to me should run x86 =/ and have an SSD or harddrive, but a nice price for a machine that can take notes.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

How is it click bait. It is different.. maybe I should call it convertible.. yea I'll do that.

sure :P dont take it seriuesly xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's a missed opportunity if you can't use the pen directly on the screen. That will actually mimic writing on a 'book' much more realistic. Also, that massive black border like OMG.. lol. Totally ruined the look of it. 

15 minutes ago, atrash said:

It's a missed opportunity if you can't use the pen directly on the screen. That will actually mimic writing on a 'book' much more realistic. Also, that massive black border like OMG.. lol. Totally ruined the look of it. 

Umm, not really, at least not for art anyways. Graphics tablets (with the exception of ones in the thousands) all work like this. There really isn't a point to need the wacom digitizer on the screen for artists. This could be a great alternative for artists to have one device instead of two.

Also, i'm sure the pen works on the screen, just not with the same accuracy as on the wacom surface. So notes are totally fine.

7 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

I thought that there were some problems/hacky workarounds to get android working on intel's atom based devices. Or was I mistaken?

I dont think so, the old ZenPhons were intel atoms.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

I dont think so, the old ZenPhons were intel atoms.

yeah, and I thought the old ZenFones were limited by the atoms. Like, if they used the 810, then a lot of the problems with support would go away.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

11 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

yeah, and I thought the old ZenFones were limited by the atoms. Like, if they used the 810, then a lot of the problems with support would go away.

I think it may of had a x86 vs arm problem were not everything supported x86

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I like the concept but I will need to get my hands on one to try first.

I will have to keep an eye out for them at the Windows store in town. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

The video shows touch screen interactions, and he says you can use touch on both surfaces. It's a full tablet... with an extra "screen", more or less.

I like the idea of being able to hand write a physical and digital copy at the same time. Not sure how useful that is though. But neat. I wonder how much it feels like writing on paper on this touch panel. It is an interesting product though. I think the price is right. But I don't need such a product with already having a Surface Pro 3.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

So, I'm not the only one who thought of OSU....

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

As a Yoga user this tablet thingy does interest me, but I think going from my current laptop, a Yoga13, to this would be a downgrade, if it had more umph under the hood and USB3.0 ports of any kind then I would consider one for my next laptop, so maybe in a generation or three. 

Interesting. But how does the Atom processor compare to say, Qualcomm Snapdragon?

1 hour ago, Mysticode said:

The video shows touch screen interactions, and he says you can use touch on both surfaces. It's a full tablet... with an extra "screen", more or less.

For next time, when quoting someone, if the quote is large like the quote you pick (main topic), please shrink it down. No need to make everyone load large images again, and it only clutters things. People here generally just use replace the content with the paragraph that they can relate or replace it with: "-snip-" (like I have done to your post). People will know what you are quoting. :)

Thanks!

It would be much more useful if the keyboard screen actually changed to white, rather than wasting paper just to transcribe notes. However, it has a very nice price given the amount of R&D that has gone into this product. That alone makes it a good Chromebook alternative. 

10 minutes ago, captainespinoza said:

It would be much more useful if the keyboard screen actually changed to white, rather than wasting paper just to transcribe notes. However, it has a very nice price given the amount of R&D that has gone into this product. That alone makes it a good Chromebook alternative. 

That could be a firmware update... *shrugs*

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Umm, no thanks. I'm sure many will like the appeal of being really portable but I could never get used to NO tactile feedback at all on a keyboard. I usually avoid my cellphone at times just to avoid the fucking touch keyboard in fact.

Having even a tiny bit of travel doesn't adds that much to the size anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It needs to be at least 11.6. 10.1 is way too small.

Isn't Ashton Kutcher employed by Lenovo. I wonder if he had anything to do with this.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Personally I think its interesting. Its not going to be a powerhouse but I see a market for this. The only thing is that touch cover keyboard. I have a feeling it would suck to type on. But taking notes in class would work with a pen.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 hours ago, Alexp10v2 said:

So, I'm not the only one who thought of OSU....

yah but you probably cant play it seeing as you dont have any keys to press if you use the pen from what i understand :P 

Builds:

Spoiler