Can I connect my phone to my pc so I can use a google cardboard to play computer games in vr?

Go to solution Solved by J/C,

I've seen people use TrinusVR its a viable solution for casual VR gaming on pc. Obviously nowhere good/perfected as an actual VR headset. (ex. vive, oculus)

Hi there!

I want to get into the VR side of gaming. The problem is that the cheapest pc headset I can buy is the oculus rift.(And let's be frank, it's not that cheap...)

So I was wondering... Can't I buy a cheap ass Google Cardboard ripoff with a strap and connect the pc (witch will run the pc games) to my android phone (witch will only display the information)?

The first thing that popped into my mind was remote desktop over Wi-Fi. But even tough I have quite a fast connection on my pc, but on my device (Z3 compact) it may be to slow to get a good refresh rate over plain Wi-Fi...

So this is where you guys come in.

Is there a way to connect my android phone to my pc with a micro-b cable so that I see my pc game on my phone?

basically you want to use your phone as an external display... right?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

basically you want to use your phone as an external display... right?

Exactly

No, there's a reason the oculus is more expensive than a piece of cardboard. A phone has insufficient refresh rate, cannot communicate your movements to your pc and suffers from latency if you're streaming the game. You can't use your phone as a monitor through usb.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

No, there's a reason the oculus is more expensive than a piece of cardboard. A phone has insufficient refresh rate, cannot communicate your movements to your pc and suffers from latency if you're streaming the game. You can't use your phone as a monitor through usb.

It would not need to send my inputs to the pc; I would use a controller for that plugged directly into the pc.

I've seen people use TrinusVR its a viable solution for casual VR gaming on pc. Obviously nowhere good/perfected as an actual VR headset. (ex. vive, oculus)

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

I did it once with Skyrim... I had to install a client and host application on bothe the pc and the phone for that. (I don't remember the name of the app)

Just now, J/C said:

I've seen people use TrinusVR its a viable solution for casual VR gaming on pc. Obviously no where good/perfected as a actual VR headset. (ex. vive, oculus)

That's it!

Just now, J/C said:

I've seen people use TrinusVR its a viable solution for casual VR gaming on pc. Obviously no where good/perfected as a actual VR headset. (ex. vive, oculus)

Just now, fueg said:

I did it once with Skyrim... I had to install a client and host application on bothe the pc and the phone for that. (I don't remember the name of the app)

But i still have "share" it trough Wi-Fi. Won't that cause a delay?

2 minutes ago, Grx said:

But i still have "share" it trough Wi-Fi. Won't that cause a delay?

You can tether your phone to your pc to reduce delay. 

ab9c5c598abc96166999e73c6fa728d9.png

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

Just now, J/C said:

You can tether your phone to your pc to reduce delay. 

That's awesome!

Thank you very much!

It's been a while since I tried but it was better than I expected, it's worth a try anyway!

No problem. :)

14 minutes ago, Grx said:

It would not need to send my inputs to the pc; I would use a controller for that plugged directly into the pc.

it does if you want to turn your head around, which is 90% of what makes vr enticing (it still has bezels).

but apparently it IS possible

14 minutes ago, J/C said:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

it does if you want to turn your head around, which is 90% of what makes vr enticing (it still has bezels).

but apparently it IS possible

I have a usb extender which should be long enough for that.