Samsung's new curved gaming monitors w/FreeSync

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Those prices are too expensive and the displays arent using neither AH-IPS or well, from Samsung, how about an OLED display? For just 2500€ :P

Groomlake Authority

Yeah let's release a high end monitor that only works with GPUs from a company that won't even release High end GPUs for the remainder of 2016 or very late if it happens at all.

Seriously Nvidia is really dropping the ball on G-Sync they need to cut down their prices or offer some sort of incentive to get more panels out there (Since they'll probably never give in and support Freesnyc anyway)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Damn that's expensive. 

If the middle one is 400 euros where i live, overpriiiiced! :D

I just got a monitor with very similar specs, not curved but with a usb hub for 259.

So unless prices go down it's an overpriced monitor with imo a gimmick (the curve)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah let's release a high end monitor that only works with GPUs from a company that won't even release High end GPUs for the remainder of 2016 or very late if it happens at all.

Seriously Nvidia is really dropping the ball on G-Sync they need to cut down their prices or offer some sort of incentive to get more panels out there (Since they'll probably never give in and support Freesnyc anyway)

I can tell you replaying older games at 144Hz and maxed out can be fantastic.

Reinstalled flatout 2 today, and even tho it looks like a poop and is locked to 100fps it's an amazing experience :P

Or i have lower than average standards, whatever you want to think of it :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Those prices are too expensive and the displays arent using neither AH-IPS or well, from Samsung, how about an OLED display? For just 2500€ :P

Forget AH-IPS and OLED

The new CFG70 curved monitor incorporates a host of user-friendly features to create a premium multi-sensory gaming destination. The CFG70’s “Super Arena” design aligns 1800R curvature with sound interactive LED lighting that lets players fully experience the thrill of victory.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

29 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Quantum dots are pretty awesome too though, without driving up the cost too much.

26 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Freesync and G-Sync are more valuable with weaker GPUs as they make FPS drops below the maximum refresh rate more common. Along with Freesync being much cheaper than G-Sync, that makes monitors like these considerably more attractive.

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Quantum dots are pretty awesome too though, without driving up the cost too much.

Freesync and G-Sync are more valuable with weaker GPUs as they make FPS drops below the maximum refresh rate more common. Along with Freesync being much cheaper than G-Sync, that makes monitors like these considerably more attractive.

Yea but freesync ips 21:9 panels are already available for 800-900 USD. I don't see how this is a good bargain personally... If it was a G-sync monitor at this price with these specs I could go for it (since the equivalent IPS panels are 1100-1200 USD).

VA is nice... Better contrast and all, but the relative lack of IPS color shifting is still far superior, and response times (and input lag) historically for VA panels haven't been great.

More options= cool. Just not particularly excited about these ones.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

44 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah well... ditto 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yea but freesync ips 21:9 panels are already available for 800-900 USD. I don't see how this is a good bargain personally... If it was a G-sync monitor at this price with these specs I could go for it (since the equivalent IPS panels are 1100-1200 USD).

VA is nice... Better contrast and all, but the relative lack of IPS color shifting is still far superior, and response times (and input lag) historically for VA panels haven't been great.

More options= cool. Just not particularly excited about these ones.

Well, I was looking at them in general. But as for the top model, you may have missed the refresh rate? The only other 3440x1440 display at >60Hz and <$1000 is the Acer Predator XR341CK, and that's still only 75Hz. This one is 100Hz.

16 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

AMD market penetration is substantially lower even on the mainstream market. So it's not that it's just Nvidia's incompetence with gsync and it's pricing. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

What is the input lag (not response time) for the quantum dot display? I heard it was supposed to ridiculously low. Similar to the CRT monitors of yesteryear.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Misanthrope said:

AMD market penetration is substantially lower even on the mainstream market. So it's not that it's just Nvidia's incompetence with gsync and it's pricing. 

Market penetration is irrelevant to the end user. G-Sync is more expensive because Nvidia is putting their own hardware in the monitor, and doing some validation AFAIK. AMD's solution is cheaper, but did lead to some quality variability especially in the beginning, as every monitor manufacturer had to come up with their own solutions. But I think by now we're seeing that AMD's choice of business model for variable refresh rate is better than Nvidia's. I don't think the lower price of Freesync has anything to do with AMD being more competent, on a technical level, than Nvidia.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Well, I was looking at them in general. But as for the top model, you may have missed the refresh rate? The only other 3440x1440 display at >60Hz and <$1000 is the Acer Predator XR341CK, and that's still only 75Hz. This one is 100Hz.

I don't remember if it was the Sammy current one or the LG one, but one of them is supposedly consistently overclocking to 75 hz as well.

Also there are some random korean panels that do 100hz oc's with free-sync (they are the left over AOC panels from the PG348Q and the Acer x34).

Plus if I remember correctly, lenovo announced a ultrawide freesync panel recentl.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the wider color space is going to be awesome, but considering the normal 200-400 dollar gap between the similar freesync and g-sync panels, it's just hard for me to get excited.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

I don't remember if it was the Sammy current one or the LG one, but one of them is supposedly consistently overclocking to 75 hz as well.

Also there are some random korean panels that do 100hz oc's with free-sync (they are the left over AOC panels from the PG348Q and the Acer x34).

Plus if I remember correctly, lenovo announced a ultrawide freesync panel recentl.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the wider color space is going to be awesome, but considering the normal 200-400 dollar gap between the similar freesync and g-sync panels, it's just hard for me to get excited.

Well okay, but it's so far looking like the only retail 100Hz monitor in its segment. Overclockable Korean panels are an interesting option, but for most people the premium of a retail model is probably worth the peace of mind.

I'm not doing the usual Linus "best monitor EVER (until next week)" thing, but it does look like a viable product.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Well okay, but it's so far looking like the only retail 100Hz monitor in its segment. Overclockable Korean panels are an interesting option, but for most people the premium of a retail model is probably worth the peace of mind.

I'm not doing the usual Linus "best monitor EVER (until next week)" thing, but it does look like a viable product.

Well as long as the input lag and response time issues with VA panels are addressed, which I assume they are...  It will be a fine product, just evolutionary not revolutionary. (note I also just recently bought a PG348Q, so anything that isn't going to directly compete with that segment of panels is kinda boring to me now.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Do people even care about Freesync and/or Gsync monitors anymore?

I just find them too expensive.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

12 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Some monitors now have Freesync almost incidentally, for little or no added cost.

The cheapest 1080p monitor with a refresh rate above 60Hz? It supports Freesync.

15 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Wha? Mine cost me $200

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Market penetration is irrelevant to the end user. G-Sync is more expensive because Nvidia is putting their own hardware in the monitor, and doing some validation AFAIK. AMD's solution is cheaper, but did lead to some quality variability especially in the beginning, as every monitor manufacturer had to come up with their own solutions. But I think by now we're seeing that AMD's choice of business model for variable refresh rate is better than Nvidia's. I don't think the lower price of Freesync has anything to do with AMD being more competent, on a technical level, than Nvidia.

Quick clarification: I brought up market share to make the point that companies just wouldn't intentionally support AMD Freesync if it wasn't very easy/cheap to implement because there just isn't that big of a market for them. It was to drive point precisely this point you make: Nvidia has utterly fucking failed on this tech race imho and are likely pricing themselves out of relevance and will have to support freesync or adaptive sync or whatever in the near future.

This is one example of opening standards being the better choice and winning the day vs walled gardens.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Quick clarification: I brought up market share to make the point that companies just wouldn't intentionally support AMD Freesync if it wasn't very easy/cheap to implement because there just isn't that big of a market for them. It was to drive point precisely this point you make: Nvidia has utterly fucking failed on this tech race imho and are likely pricing themselves out of relevance and will have to support freesync or adaptive sync or whatever in the near future.

This is one example of opening standards being the better choice and winning the day vs walled gardens.

I mean maybe... but they have managed to get almost every monitor "first" to ship with G-sync over free-sync, which I'm sure allows them a great ROI on the tech (even if volume is next to nothing... since I doubt AMD gets a cent out of their tech.)

I wouldn't expect Nvidia to worry about supporting free-sync until Intel starts shipping their products supporting it personally. They don't really need to care about the other side.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Not interested.

I want 4K (240Hz with 1080p) HDR OLED monitor. Not ultra-wide, not curved.

*waiting*

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

Wha? Mine cost me $200

Gsync cost money. Freesync is free

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

26 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Over $400 for 1080p kinda exorbitant no? 

144Hz VA panel with that colour space on a swivel/height-adjustable stand with adaptive refresh rate for 399 dollars sounds like a good deal to me. I mean, people are still recommending the Dell U2414H and that's 225 dollars for an IPS 1920*1080 without the massive colour space, freesync or the other bells and whistles and a certain amount of backlight bleed / IPS glow at the edges.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Post of the ultrawide monitor here.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro