Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ch3ssi3r

Which brand of RAM? How much do speeds matter?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, currently building my first build for gaming, any info on what brands of RAM to choose. I will need DDR4 type and that the amount that the speed will matter for the build. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I typically go with G. Skill. The amount of speed doesn't really matter at all for gaming. Just get the cheapest one with good reviews, you should be good to go. :) 


Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the cheapest one that looks good. Speeds don't matter at all, only in very specific scenarios you won't ever see.


CPU: i7 2600K 4.4GHz@1.3V | Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro | CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212x | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @1600MHz CL9

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti G1 Gaming @2GHz | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | PSU: Corsair TX550M | Monitor: LG 29UM69G

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX MX Red | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Case: Corsair Carbide 400C | Headphone: Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | Microphone: Blusmart Lapel

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ch3ssi3r said:

Hi, currently building my first build for gaming, any info on what brands of RAM to choose. I will need DDR4 type and that the amount that the speed will matter for the build. 

It would help if we knew what are the full specs for that build you'll be assembling.


Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Corsair, crusial, kingston, g.skill, adata are all good as well as many more that I cannot think of right now, but unless you are using the igpu on the cpu will ram speeds don't really matter, ddr4 2133, or 2400 ram will be fine for a gaming computer.


 

 •E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

It would help if we knew what are the full specs for that build you'll be assembling.

I5 6600K, Asus Z170-A, 970/980 not sure yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things to consider really:

 

  • Aesthetics - does it look good? Fit in with your build etc. 
  • Height - only really a concern if you have a big cpu cooler that might interfere with the RAM. 

Everything I've read/seen shows that speed really doesn't matter. And the money saved can go towards a better gpu/cpu etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ch3ssi3r said:

I5 6600K, Asus Z170-A, 970/980 not sure yet. 

Right... then pick a 2x8 3000mhz kit. The brand is completely irrelevant, so you may just pick the cheapest that also looks good in your build (aka a black one, given that there are next to no white kits).

 

Also, I strongly advise getting a Gtx 1060 rather than a 970/80. Very strongly.


Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NvidiaQuadro said:

That is ddr3, and the dominators aren't necessary for just a gaming computer, really they are just for flaunting about how much money you can sink into a computer.


 

 •E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Imakuni said:

Right... then pick a 2x8 3000mhz kit. The brand is completely irrelevant, so you may just pick the cheapest that also looks good in your build (aka a black one, given that there are next to no white kits).

 

Also, I strongly advise getting a Gtx 1060 rather than a 970/80. Very strongly.

How does the 1060 compare in benchmarks and price to 980? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ch3ssi3r said:

How does the 1060 compare in benchmarks and price to 980? 

 

Performance is around the same, winning / losing at times.

 

Price depends on your market.

 

Difference, however, is that the 1060 is more power efficient, has more vRAM, has better features, will have better driver support for the years to come and will hold it's resell value for longer.


Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Two things to consider really:

 

  • Aesthetics - does it look good? Fit in with your build etc. 
  • Height - only really a concern if you have a big cpu cooler that might interfere with the RAM. 

Everything I've read/seen shows that speed really doesn't matter. And the money saved can go towards a better gpu/cpu etc. 

Well, whatever the effective impact of speed may be, it is definitely larger than the impact of looks... 9_9

 

Of course speed matters, otherwise we wouldn't care about the amount of RAM and just let the OS use the page file all the time. But it is true that two marginally different speeds+timings are nowhere in the same ballpark as disk vs RAM, and it will take larger differences for gamers to notice it, if at all, unless gaming on a iGPU. For most games, your computer will hit other limits before the RAM speed being a factor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For gaming, the speed wont matter very much, but for video editing it will a little bit. As for the brand it doesn't really matter that much, just get some RAM that looks good/matches your color scheme or just get the cheapest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

That is ddr3, and the dominators aren't necessary for just a gaming computer, really they are just for flaunting about how much money you can sink into a computer.

 

worst thing is, dominator platinums aren't even the best stuff on the market, despite usually having the highest price tag.


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lays said:

 

worst thing is, dominator platinums aren't even the best stuff on the market, despite usually having the highest price tag.

Of course they aren't. On ram I go with how much I want, normally 16gb, and what looks good in my build to me. Although I like the looks of corsairs dominators, vengance LED, and avexir core series

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

Of course they aren't. On ram I go with how much I want, normally 16gb, and what looks good in my build to me. Although I like the looks of corsairs dominators, vengance LED, and avexir core series

I tend to stick with G.skill, they tend to have the best binning on DDR4 from my experience, and usually have the best timing to frequency kits.  For normal users it doesn't really much matter though.


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lays said:

I tend to stick with G.skill, they tend to have the best binning on DDR4 from my experience, and usually have the best timing to frequency kits.  For normal users it doesn't really much matter though.

I just don't get G. skill because I don't like the looks xD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

I just don't get G. skill because I don't like the looks xD 

ya but muh aesthetics tho

 

 

Image result for g.skill tridentz


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×