What happens if you run a virus in AVAST sandbox or in any sandbox?

Carlos1010

Hi all,

The title pretty much says it all, if you run a big virus like MEMZ will it affect your own PC? And also can you run regular programs like chrome in sandbox and will it run normally? Thanks in advanced! 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

3 hours ago, Carlos1010 said:

Hi all,

The title pretty much says it all, if you run a big virus like MEMZ will it affect your own PC? And also can you run regular programs like chrome in sandbox and will it run normally? Thanks in advanced! 

If you run a virus in a Sandbox, it will entirely depend on what the Sandbox allows to happen. If programs inside the Sandbox can communicate with the outside world, or can save files, etc, then it could still potentially do a lot of damage.

However, if the Sandbox is entirely closed, allowing no network traffic, and virtualizing all writes to disk to a temp cache, then there's no risk.

Either way, I sure as hell wouldn't risk intentionally running a virus on purpose, even in a sandbox, unless I knew EXACTLY what I was doing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you run a virus in a Sandbox, it will entirely depend on what the Sandbox allows to happen. If programs inside the Sandbox can communicate with the outside world, or can save files, etc, then it could still potentially do a lot of damage.

However, if the Sandbox is entirely closed, allowing no network traffic, and virtualizing all writes to disk to a temp cache, then there's no risk.

Either way, I sure as hell wouldn't risk intentionally running a virus on purpose, even in a sandbox, unless I knew EXACTLY what I was doing.

Then what else is the use of sandbox?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Then what else is the use of sandbox?

The use of the Sandbox is AVAST specifically, is to run a program where you have suspicions that it might be infected. Let's say you're trying to download the Adobe Flash installer, but you got the installer off of CNET, and you're not 100% sure if it's legit.

Sandboxing limits the amount of access and rights a program has, by creating a small virtual world for it to play in. How much they limit it is entirely up to the developer of whatever sandbox in question. They can limit it totally, but that would make the usefulness quite a bit less, or they can limit it less, allowing more functionality.

Most Sandboxes will prevent the application from writing or executing any files to or from disk that are not in the designated "installed" location of the program - Windows 10 Store App's work in some manner like that.

In either case, they're designed as a last resort to catch things that slip through your notice. The AVAST Sandbox in particular is NOT designed for you to intentionally run a virus. What if it's a zero day virus that knows an exploit around the sandbox?

Anyway, if you intentionally want to run a virus, do so at your own risk.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

The use of the Sandbox is AVAST specifically, is to run a program where you have suspicions that it might be infected. Let's say you're trying to download the Adobe Flash installer, but you got the installer off of CNET, and you're not 100% sure if it's legit.

Sandboxing limits the amount of access and rights a program has, by creating a small virtual world for it to play in. How much they limit it is entirely up to the developer of whatever sandbox in question. They can limit it totally, but that would make the usefulness quite a bit less, or they can limit it less, allowing more functionality.

Most Sandboxes will prevent the application from writing or executing any files to or from disk that are not in the designated "installed" location of the program - Windows 10 Store App's work in some manner like that.

In either case, they're designed as a last resort to catch things that slip through your notice. The AVAST Sandbox in particular is NOT designed for you to intentionally run a virus. What if it's a zero day virus that knows an exploit around the sandbox?

Anyway, if you intentionally want to run a virus, do so at your own risk

haha