SSD perfomance degradation

AleksanderK

Hi guys, I have got a Plextor 128 GB SSD. It is about 3 years old. I only had the OS on it so it was never full. Should I buy a new one for the new build or I am totally ok with the old one?

How is it doing for you?

though yes, it'll be fine.... I thought I'd toss out there that you can get a much larger SSD today for what you paid for yours 3 years ago. Still yes you'd be good

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

How about running benchmarks on it like crystaldiskmark instead of asking us who have never even had your SSD?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

How is it doing for you?

Quite nice, I suppose the read/write speeds are hovering around 500 MB/S

10 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

though yes, it'll be fine.... I thought I'd toss out there that you can get a much larger SSD today for what you paid for yours 3 years ago. Still yes you'd be good

Sadly, it is not that simple. Where I live the the computer parts became at least about 2 times as expensive as they used to be. Three years ago I could build a 4500 dollar system for the amount of the national currency that today is worth 2000 dollars.

It'll be fine. I have a Plextor M2s from 2012, and while the speeds aren't amazing (450MB/s read and 350MB/s write), it still works great. If you need more space though, you'll want to check out the newer drives (Probably the 850 Evo or Sandisk Extreme Pro...Plextor hasn't released many SSDs in the past year or two).

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

It'll be fine. I have a Plextor M2s from 2012, and while the speeds aren't amazing (450MB/s read and 350MB/s write), it still works great. If you need more space though, you'll want to check out the newer drives (Probably the 850 Evo or Sandisk Extreme Pro...Plextor hasn't released many SSDs in the past year or two).

Thanks. Maybe I will get a 250-500 GB SSD for some of the games

5 minutes ago, AleksanderK said:

Thanks. Maybe I will get a 250-500 GB SSD for some of the games

Or you can use 32gb for windows and 250-500gb for games both works