really odd raid setup, could this at least function.

Sion_the_Rapadant

So I have a mobo with 3 ultra m.2 slots, 4 pcie 3.1 x16 slots, 2 pcie x1 slots, 1 mini-pcie slot, 10 sata3 ports. if I use the 3 ultra m.2 slots i only have 4 sata ports to use. could I run a setup using 3 ultra m.2 ssds, 4 sata3 ssds, and as many pcie ssds as I can fit all in a raid config? while knowing if there would be any conflicts with this would be useful information I simply wish to know if it would work to begin with.

hmm, guess you couldn't exactly force them together using software then could you

1 hour ago, Sion_the_Rapadant said:

hmm, guess you couldn't exactly force them together using software then could you

You might be able to, but the SATA SSDS would slow the array down..Which RAID level were you aiming for? RAID0?

4 hours ago, Sion_the_Rapadant said:

So I have a mobo with 3 ultra m.2 slots, 4 pcie 3.1 x16 slots, 2 pcie x1 slots, 1 mini-pcie slot, 10 sata3 ports. if I use the 3 ultra m.2 slots i only have 4 sata ports to use. could I run a setup using 3 ultra m.2 ssds, 4 sata3 ssds, and as many pcie ssds as I can fit all in a raid config? while knowing if there would be any conflicts with this would be useful information I simply wish to know if it would work to begin with.

That's only doable with software RAID. You'd have to get them all to appear as writable volumes (you can see this in Disk Management), then use something like Windows Storage Spaces to bind them together.

What specifically are you going for? If you want as much capacity as possible, it would make more sense to just use SATA SSDs and get a PCIe RAID controller -- It'll be easier to manage, and likely less expensive

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

• 3 weeks later...

its not something I'd actually be using or doing. I just wondered if it could be done, regardless of any problems like speed shortages.

3 hours ago, Sion_the_Rapadant said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

As the guys pointed out, for hardware RAID you should have all the drives under the same controller.

Still, if the drives appear properly in the Disk Management you should be ably to configure software RAID between drives in the M.2 slots and drives that are plugged in the regular SATA ports, but as @scottyseng pointed out the faster drives will get bottlenecked as RAID limits all drives in the array to the speed of the slowest and the capacity of all drives to the one with the smallest. 

If you ever decide to use this post the details here and never forget to have backups of the important data in case something goes sideways.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/