Best Used US$200 Folder?

I'm thinking something with a 7770 because they can get about 50-60 bucks on ebay

A10-7800 | GTX 750 Ti | 8GB DDR3

Folding Stats

1 minute ago, Madone6 said:

like a full system, not including an os or case

So you want a full system for $200

Building yourself maybe?

Gaming?

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

So you want a full system for $200

Building yourself maybe?

Gaming?

For Folding@Home and I will build it myself. It doesnt have to be new parts

Folding Stats

For Folding@Home and I will build it myself. It doesnt have to be new parts

I would think an core 2 quad q6600 machine of craigslist would probably run for 70-100 so that plus a 7850 - 7870 graphics card may work.  I picked up a 7850 off of gpushack a few months ago for $80 I think.  That set up will draw a fair bit of power however.

Just now, alextheaverage said:

I would think an core 2 quad q6600 machine of craigslist would probably run for 70-100 so that plus a 7850 - 7870 graphics card may work.  I picked up a 7850 off of gpushack a few months ago for $80 I think.  That set up will draw a fair bit of power however.

OK, that sounds pretty good, I'll sift ebay and stuff for a Q6600 system and look at gpushack

Folding Stats

2 minutes ago, Madone6 said:

OK, that sounds pretty good, I'll sift ebay and stuff for a Q6600 system and look at gpushack

So on gpushack their main page doesn't have much of anything, however the large scale has a R7 360 for cheaper than a their 750ti.  The 360 should be at least a little better than the 750ti.

http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack/products/msi-r7-360-oc

2 minutes ago, alextheaverage said:

So on gpushack their main page doesn't have much of anything, however the large scale has a R7 360 for cheaper than a their 750ti.  The 360 should be at least a little better than the 750ti.

http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack/products/msi-r7-360-oc

OK, is this a good psu? https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Tester-100-B1-0600-KR/dp/B00EON40CS/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472523740&sr=1-5&keywords=power+supply

Folding Stats

On 8/29/2016 at 9:26 PM, alextheaverage said:

I'm pretty sure, most EVGA power supplies are extremely good.  They've had some bad apples though.

Is this a good base PC to build on? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-530-Tower-PC-Core-2-Quad-Q6600-2-4GHz-2GB-160GB-HD-DVDRW-Post-/172300654139?hash=item281deb563b:g:M24AAOSwU-pXqppj#viTabs_0

I'm pretty sure, most EVGA power supplies are extremely good.  They've had some bad apples though.

or this is a cheaper core 2 duo dell http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Vostro-230-Tower-PC-Core-2-Duo-E8400-3-0GHz-4GB-160GB-HD-DVDRW-Post/182232810041?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38828%26meid%3D3c72823f79bb496ab3ad7f957ce54dd4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D172300654139

and gpu shack has an R7 360 for $80 http://gpushack.com/products/msi-r7-360-oc

Folding Stats

That case doesn't have much space around the pci area, however the 360 is a fairly short card.  It should work though, I've done more with less.

That case doesn't have much space around the pci area, however the 360 is a fairly short card.  It should work though, I've done more with less.

Should I replace the PSU with the EVGA one?

Folding Stats

2 minutes ago, Madone6 said:

I think that should work too, if the CPU doesn't hold up it would be an easy swap later.  If i had to choose id get the duo based off the bigger case.

I think that should work too, if the CPU doesn't hold up it would be an easy swap later.  If i had to choose id get the duo based off the bigger case.

and its cheaper and I guess i could up my budget 50 bucks

Folding Stats

3 minutes ago, Madone6 said:

and its cheaper and I guess i could up my budget 50 bucks

The core 2 duo replacement should only end up being 20-30 bucks depending on its generation.  So it wouldn't end up being all that bad if it didn't hold up.

I was looking at your flair and it may make more sense just to get a graphics card and slap it in your current system, replacing your 750ti

3 minutes ago, alextheaverage said:

The core 2 duo replacement should only end up being 20-30 bucks depending on its generation.  So it wouldn't end up being all that bad if it didn't hold up.

I was looking at your flair and it may make more sense just to get a graphics card and slap it in your current system, replacing your 750ti

I think I'm gonna move to a bigger case and maybe get the $130 R7 370 that GPU shack has. Do you know how much does the 370 produce PPD wise?

Folding Stats

Just now, Madone6 said:

I think I'm gonna move to a bigger case and maybe get the $130 R7 370 that GPU shack has. Do you know how much does the 370 produce PPD wise?

I'm not sure how much they produce PPD, it couldn't hurt looking local for used 290's though, I picked up a second aftermarket 290 for 150 a few weeks ago where I live, so if you get lucky you can have twice the power for 20 more bucks.

1 minute ago, alextheaverage said:

I'm not sure how much they produce PPD, it couldn't hurt looking local for used 290's though, I picked up a second aftermarket 290 for 150 a few weeks ago where I live, so if you get lucky you can have twice the power for 20 more bucks.

Now that you say that I'll definitely do that now

Folding Stats

Now that you say that I'll definitely do that now

Funny enough it turned out that 290 crossfire results in a volcano worth of heat and I wasn't able to get them to stop throttling while crunching primes.  Planning on selling it to GPU shack for $180.  Guess they're still worth money for Etherium mining, I'm not going to complain though :D

Frankly, the best folder would be PCs you already own, but don't let on 24/7. That's free hardware just waiting to be awakened.

If you are already doing that, the next best thing would be to just either upgrade an old GPU or just slap a new one into one of those said machines. Building a new system would mean investing into mobo, RAM, PSU and storage, neither of which is of any help for folding. Gtx 970 should be going for rather cheap on the used market and will do wonders for crunching.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

13 hours ago, alextheaverage said:

Funny enough it turned out that 290 crossfire results in a volcano worth of heat and I wasn't able to get them to stop throttling while crunching primes.  Planning on selling it to GPU shack for $180.  Guess they're still worth money for Etherium mining, I'm not going to complain though :D

oh yeah forgot about that :P

Folding Stats