Is getting a NVMe or any M.2 Worth it over SSD?

N.E.A

Hi guys, 

I am looking to upgrade my storage to either a large SSD namely 960+ GB or running 2 480 GBs in Raid 0 or M.2 solution. So is the speed gain of M.2 over a regular SSD worth it? Will I notice a performance gain of one vs the other? 

Also can it boot Windows 10 on my MSI H170 Gaming M3 Motherboard or not?

My way of life: "Think differently, act modestly."

Internet dweller love to write and read about almost everything.

I like to be part of productive and positive communities. 

Nah regular ssd is fine. only benefit massive files such as cad or video editing.

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

Not really. The only thing m.2 is worth is to not have to run cables. If you have a small form factor and want as little cable mess as possible, then m.2 is worth it in that sense. But just for raw speed, no as you really wont notice much difference in real world performance. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

As @ThomasD and @legacy99 have both said, the fact you don't have to run cables is the major benefit here. So if an SSD is the only reason you're running a SATA power harness from your power supply and a SATA cable from the mainboard, then an M.2 drive will save you from having to do that, giving you a cleaner build. It's why I selected an M.2 SSD for my wife's system when upgrading her to X99.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I have had both SSD and m.2 even m.2 in RAID 0.  Other than some faster boot speeds, there isn't much real world difference unless you are doing something pretty intensively like video editing and rendering.

The other things you need to remember about m.2 is if you are going to do NVMe to take advantage of the x4, you need a MB that can handle it, otherwise if you put it on a x97 you'll only get x2 speed which pretty much negates the whole purpose.

That being said, there are benefits. I run a Samsung 961 as my boot drive and two others in RAID 0 as my Game drive.   Using Ram Cache and setting up browser Cache on the D: drive, simple web surfing is quite speedy and games do have a noticeable time when loading up.  I actually timed a few like Witcher, Civ, EQ2, Tomb Raider and everyone loaded up 5-20 seconds faster.  Is it worth the cost? That is subjective. 

Bottom line there is SOME improvement, but I think it comes down to personal preference, the ability of your hardware and pocketbook as to whether it is worth it.

(It is nice to see sequential reads in the 7k range and IoPS of 300k is nice, 4k is about 250-300)

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i