Does my X79 motherboard support MVMe PCI-E boot?

Go to solution Solved by TaylorSwiftOrNon,
3 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Hmm source? just to be sure :P thanks anyway.

There is an episode on NVMe on TechQuickie :)

Hello i have a Gigabyte X79 UP4 does it support MVMe PCI-E boot? i have a 4x adapter to M.2 for a PCI-E slot.

Thank you for any answers. I don't see anywhere on official motherboard support page and stuff..

Nope, you need X99 or newer (Z170 works also)

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

Just now, TaylorSwiftOrNon said:

Nope, you need X99 or newer (Z170 works also)

3 minutes ago, Redicat said:

There is an episode on NVMe on TechQuickie :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

Actually there are some X97 boards that will allow you to boot from NVMe devices but you will only be able to use it at x2 speed rather than x4.

The best way you can check is go to the Asus website and go to the section where you can download drivers.  Check under BIOS and see if any of the updates enables NVMe Support.  I don't see any on the x79 but I do see on several of the x97 boards. 

As stated above, if you want to run it at full x4 speed you will need an x99 or z170 board.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

Just now, brighttail said:

Actually there are some X97 boards that will allow you to boot from NVMe devices but you will only be able to use it at x2 speed rather than x4.

The best way you can check is go to the Asus website and go to the section where you can download drivers.  Check under BIOS and see if any of the updates enables NVMe Support.  I don't see any on the x79 but I do see on several of the x97 boards. 

As stated above, if you want to run it at full x4 speed you will need an x99 or z170 board.

And what does 2x go for. I don't have Asus board. 

I mean it will run at 2x speed rather than 4x speed.  Honestly if you are getting or have an NVMe drive you are literally cutting your speed in half by installing it on a x97 board.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

no your mobo does not support NVMe as a boot device.

installation of the drive will only show up in the OS (provided the driver is installed) and only as a storage drive operating at near half the published speed, due to the reduce bandwidth supplied (x2 vs x4).

15 hours ago, airdeano said:

no your mobo does not support NVMe as a boot device.

installation of the drive will only show up in the OS (provided the driver is installed) and only as a storage drive operating at near half the published speed, due to the reduce bandwidth supplied (x2 vs x4).

Thanks. I'm now selling the PCI-E card with PROFIT! since i bought it from china brand new in ESD bag. I bought it just because uh in case i get an M.2 but yeah no. i don't think i'll need it either.