Galaxy Note 7 (Exynos version) units crash randomly and inexplicably

patrick3027

After the Snapdragon version of the Note 7 drew criticism over perfomance issues, it seems like the Exynos version has a much bigger problem.

Just days after its launch, some users have taken to forums, complaining about crashes, bootloops, and outright bricks of the device. Even we can relate, as our office unit has started acting up since last Friday.

The issue pops up after a few days of regular usage and there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the patterns of crashes. It will usually start with a bootloop. Then, as the user attempts to force the phone into safe mode or recovery, it only gets worse. Random crashes at any point of operation freeze the device up and make it night impossible to do anything with it.

[...]

From what we can make of the reports, it seems only owners of the internationally-sold Exynos variant of the phone are affected. Either it's an Exynos-only issue, or US users with a crashing Note 7 have yet to become vocal online.

Source:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Some-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-units-crash-randomly-and-inexplicably-ours-included.-Brickgate_id84611

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-7/help/note-7-repeated-restart-bootloop-issues-t3444510

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7/714604-galaxy-note-7-crashing.html

Note-7-crash.jpg

A $850 brick

So boys and girls, can we all agree that Samsung really has no clue what they are doing software wise?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

So first we have the SD note 7 being a bit slower than it should. People complained that the exynos version performed as expected and that the article was misleading.

But now the exynos version doesnt even work right to begin with. Brilliant. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

So first we have the SD note 7 being a bit slower than it should. People complained that the exynos version performed as expected and that the article was misleading.

We'll be called Samsung haters soon enough, don't worry, they are coming.

I don't know what's going on with rumors of Snap Dragon Note 7s running slow, but my SD Note 7 has been dramatically faster than my Exynos Note 5.

Some people are just destined to have problems with the stuff they own.  :D

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I don't know what's going on with rumors of Snap Dragon Note 7s running slow, but my SD Note 7 has been dramatically faster than my Exynos Note 5.

Some people are just destined to have problems with the stuff they own.  :D

It isn't slow, but from what I've seen there's a certain delay when performing certain actions and there is stuttering when scrolling fast. Here's more info on it: http://www.xda-developers.com/in-response-to-the-verge-why-we-fretted-about-the-note-7s-performance/

I would absolutely love if you could give some feedback on what they describe in the article. :)

Just now, patrick3027 said:

It isn't slow, but from what I've seen there's a certain delay when performing certain actions and there is stuttering when scrolling fast. Here's more info on it: http://www.xda-developers.com/in-response-to-the-verge-why-we-fretted-about-the-note-7s-performance/

I would absolutely love if you could give some feedback on what they describe in the article. :)

Absolutely.  I'll read over it and compare their findings to what I experience.

and that's why everything after the note 4 is complete shit

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

and that's why everything after the note 4 is complete shit

I've got a Note 4 sitting on my desk right next to a Note 5 and Note 7.  While the Note 4 is great, I'll take a Note 5 or 7 over a Note 4 any day.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I've got a Note 4 sitting on my desk right next to a Note 5 and Note 7.  While the Note 4 is great, I'll take a Note 5 or 7 over a Note 4 any day.

i would never switch my old note 4 for any of those two. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

i would never switch my old note 4 for any of those two. 

The Note 4 is badass and I can't argue that at all, but I will say that side by side, my Note 5 or 7 are much better than my Note 4.  Don't get me wrong, the Note 4 is fantastic, but I'm finally going to be selling it off.

I think that you just prefer more "mature" platforms.  :D

35 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

So after reading the whole thing, I can't say that I've experienced any of that or at least not regularly enough that I even noticed. 

I thought about connecting my phone to my desktop via SideSync to record a desktop session via ShadowPlay to show you what I'm talking about.  I'm sure that SideSync adds quite a bit of latency to the mix, but even when I use it I don't experience the issues outlined in this article.  

I've own dozens upon dozens of smartphone and any of them would hesitate from time to time especially when hit with the odd task right in the middle of the CPU being downclocked to save power or perhaps when was doing something in the background that you weren't paying close attention to.  Some reviewers and critics looks exclusively for these anomalies or hiccups and focus on it because it sells, so to speak.  The same way that murders attract people to the news, exposed glitches or bad reviews attract readers to websites.

This stuff happens with my PC and I don't even think twice about it.  If I set power options to balanced or power saver, things are still fast, but not nearly as snappy as when I set it to high performance.  The change between kinda fast and very snappy happens simply due to the CPU remaining clocked up as I switch from task to task.

With all of that said, if my phone is set to one of it's power saving modes, it too will exhibit some of the behavior noted in the article.  Other than that, it works perfectly smooth.  Things that would cause minor hiccups on my Note 5 are no longer an issue with my Note 7.  Both are running Android 6.0.1 and on the same network for both wifi and LTE so other than specific optimizations made within TouchWiz,, I attribute the improvements to hardware.

Maybe there's a bad batch floating around.  Maybe some people just have unreal expectations or tend to find the wrong with anything.  Either way, I'm a happy camper.  :D

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

As one of the people who said that article was misrepresented (which it was) I'm big enough to admit that this really isn't looking good for Samsung. 

It's like the 2 biggest phone manufacturers got complacent (or greedy) and started skimping out on components. Apple fucked up the IPhone 7 and now Samsung fucked up the G & N 7.

It's true what they say, the bigger you are the harder the fall. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

As one of the people who said that article was misrepresented (which it was) I'm big enough to admit that this really isn't looking good for Samsung. 

It's like the 2 biggest phone manufacturers got complacent (or greedy) and started skimping out on components. Apple fucked up the IPhone 7 and now Samsung fucked up the G & N 7.

It's true what they say, the bigger you are the harder the fall. 

I agree.  At these price points, the big guys could be doing so much more with these devices.

52 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The Note 4 is badass and I can't argue that at all, but I will say that side by side, my Note 5 or 7 are much better than my Note 4.  Don't get me wrong, the Note 4 is fantastic, but I'm finally going to be selling it off.

I think that you just prefer more "mature" platforms.  :D

of curse they're better (better SoC, more RAM, faster storage type) but the Note 4 still shines as Samsung best compared to the next two to me and is the last prosumer i've seen from sammy.

Well that sucks. Hopefully new phones don't start releasing broken as some video games.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

How exactly, can they screw up the software with the Note 7, when they already had experience with the S7/S7 Edge Exynos 8890? Its the same goddamn cpu and a slightly modified Touchwiz. Just use Tizen Samsung, since even a cheaptastic Z1 loaded Asphalt 8 Airborne in 4 seconds or something... insane.

Groomlake Authority

SM-N930F Exynos Note 7 owner here, hasn't missed a beat as of yet. Time will tell though.

1st Build: Intel Core i7 4790K, Cooler Master Nepton 280L, ASUS Z97 Pro Wi-Fi AC, Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2 x 8GB 1866MHz, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, Crucial MX100 256GB, Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, Seasonic SS760XP2, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro x64

Peripherals:  Audio Technica ATH-M50s + Antlion ModMic 4.0, Samsung S24D590L, Corsair M65 RGB

Other Devices: Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga, ASUS Vivotab Note 8.

10 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

So boys and girls, can we all agree that Samsung really has no clue what they are doing software wise?

Erm... no. In the last few years I'd say Samsung improved their software by a huge margin, after the S5 or so. I've had quite some experience with S5, S6 and S6 Edge, and haven't experienced a single issue, nor have people that I know that own the mentioned phones. Truth be told I found the S5 to be dull as a phone alltogether. Hell if the G6 turns out to be bad next year I'm going the S8 Edge lane. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Erm... no. In the last few years I'd say Samsung improved their software by a huge margin, after the S5 or so. I've had quite some experience with S5, S6 and S6 Edge, and haven't experienced a single issue, nor have people that I know that own the mentioned phones. Truth be told I found the S5 to be dull as a phone alltogether. Hell if the G6 turns out to be bad next year I'm going the S8 Edge lane. 

Here's my experience with the S5

11 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

My questions is why anyone would buy a Note 7 instead of an S7. IF you wanted to buy an Android phone then an S7 would be better IMHO.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

My questions is why anyone would buy a Note 7 instead of an S7. IF you wanted to buy an Android phone then an S7 would be better IMHO.

Because of the S-Pen. Cause the S-Pen is the best thing ever. There i nothing close to it. I wish i could go back using it but can't cause Samsung as decided to remove the option to have user replaceable batteries (also double glass is complete sheit, the plastic back was fine and more functional and didn't become a spider after the first drop and if it got slightly damaged it was just a 10$ replacement because of how much functional it was)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

maybe Note 7 can do more business things