Apple sued over iPhone 6 and 6 Plus' unresponsive touchscreen

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-lawsuit-touchscreens-idUSKCN1141OJ?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

about a week ago, "news" broke out over possible design flaws with Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus' Touch ID circuitry

well, someone(s) is taking Apple to task

Apple Inc (AAPL.O) has been sued by owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones who say a design defect causes the phones' touchscreens to become unresponsive, making them unusable.

According to a proposed nationwide class-action lawsuit filed on Saturday, Apple has long been aware of the defect, which often surfaces after a flickering gray bar appears atop the touchscreens, but has refused to fix it.

The plaintiffs linked the problem to Apple's decision not to use a metal "shield" or "underfill" to protect the relevant parts, as it did on versions of the iPhone 5.

"The iPhones are not fit for the purpose of use as smartphones because of the touchscreen defect," according to the complaint filed in federal court in San Jose, California.

Todd Cleary of California, Jun Bai of Delaware and Thomas Davidson of Pennsylvania are the named plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which accuses Apple of fraud and violating California consumer protection laws. They seek unspecified damages.

why oh why couldn't Apple used few cents of underfill to secure those chips in place is beyond comprehension, especially since they used it for other ICs on the logic board

eXfAUbrKBLnOG5Xw.large

and especially since it was used in previous phones

No offense, but apple didn't care because the iSheep would buy it anyways.... Defective or not, people would still buy it because it's an iPhone... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No offense, but apple didn't care because the iSheep would buy it anyways.... Defective or not, people would still buy it because it's an iPhone... 

People don't buy it because it says apple alone, but rather what apple (should) stand for. Quality and ease of use.

Apple do not want their brand to be affiliated with bad quality, I can guarantee you that.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this is why I make it a habit not to buy iPhones or Samsungs in general

Sony all the way obviously...

(although the Z3c is plagued with issues like the headphone jack breaking over time, stops reading sims, the top speaker being a lot quieter than the bottom one as they forget to remove a piece of plastic but at least when ever one of these issues occur, sony fixes it :P

Just now, Tomsen said:

People don't buy it because it says apple alone, but rather what apple (should) stand for. Quality and ease of use.

Apple do not want their brand to be affiliated with bad quality, I can guarantee you that.

True true and although it's a design issue, out of the 25 odd people I know with an iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s and 6s Plus users (including my sister, mother and father), none of them has ever had a issue with their iPhone 6 (and above) so yes the flaw is there but if not that many people is getting it then a recall isn't that necessary (although it is a pretty big oversight to save those pennies and to not fix those phones affected...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Tomsen said:

I know they don't... But, to me they are known for undermining your intelligence, as apparently, an app drawer is too confusing.... 

In addition, most people that I know that own iPhones, they own them because they are iPhones, not because they are supposed to be high quality phones... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

really!?!? Apple doesn't stand for innovation or quality for a very long time now - how many people still use their iWatch ?!

if they don't want their name associated with failure, they should've done a better job - see bendgate, now this

oh yes, people buy it because it sais Apple iPhone on the back - the exact same thing goes for Samsung on Android side

Just now, zMeul said:

really!?!? Apple doesn't stand for innovation or quality for a very long time now

What?! They don't innovate? Putting last gen hardware in a device while others are using current gen hardware is not called innovation?

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

What?! They don't innovate? Putting last gen hardware in a device while others are using current gen hardware is not called innovation?

Wow! We've got a think-for-themself'er here.

Remind me again how much more efficient iOS is and how their CPUs always end up outperforming the competition. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

how their CPUs always end up outperforming the competition. 

*Looks at Exynos 8890 benchmarks and apple A9X* Suuuuuure.... 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

oh yes, people buy it because it sais Apple iPhone on the back

Hmmmm...of course some users are like that but users like my mother has a 6 plus, note 4 and a Huawei p9 and guess phone she prefers? The iPhone so yes some people are isheeps but some people use apple cause they just like IOS more than android. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmm...of course some users are like that but users like my mother has a 6 plus, note 4 and a Huawei p9 and guess phone she prefers? The iPhone so yes some people are isheeps but some people use apple cause they just like IOS more than android. 

No, those people don't exist. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

No, those people don't exist. 

I guess you are true ;) 

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this is why I make it a habit not to buy iPhones or Samsungs in general

ive never had an issue with any of my samsung phones. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

called it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

True true and although it's a design issue, out of the 25 odd people I know with an iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s and 6s Plus users (including my sister, mother and father), none of them has ever had a issue with their iPhone 6 (and above) so yes the flaw is there but if not that many people is getting it then a recall isn't that necessary (although it is a pretty big oversight to save those pennies and to not fix those phones affected...)

We have an multiple entire offices with people exclusively using iphone 6 and 6 plus, not a single issue so far of what I have heard in regards to this issue.

Perhaps this consequence was unknown in the designing phase, or they took the chance of just doing it. I don't know.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I know they don't... But, to me they are known for undermining your intelligence, as apparently, an app drawer is too confusing.... 

In addition, most people that I know that own iPhones, they own them because they are iPhones, not because they are supposed to be high quality phones... 

Undermining your intelligence, or making their tools easier to use? In the same sense, samsung and others are also undermining the intelligence of their customers.

That is the point of marketing, to affiliate apple with quality and ease. Whenever those people hear apple, they know what their are getting into.

Take a look at andriod (where quality can range from shittier $50 phone to a iphone competitior), or simply samsungs own phone-product-stack.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

really!?!? Apple doesn't stand for innovation or quality for a very long time now

if they don't want their name associated with failure, they should've done a better job - see bendgate, now this

oh yes, people buy it because it sais Apple iPhone on the back

Never said innovation.

Sure, that is easy to say now. Could they have known before?

You are outright delusional if that is what you think. People associate apple with quality and ease of use.

---

You guys should get a quick tour in marketing.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

I don't have issues with my phones either, why? because I don't bang them against the walls, put them in the same pocket as the keys .. sensible stuff like that

dad broke two phones: one he put in the same pocket with a fistful of keys; 2nd one dropped on pavement - kaput

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Not everyone has.... Samsung has had issues as well though... An exploding S6 edge+... The touchwiz lag that is really hard to put up with... 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not everyone has.... Samsung has had issues as well though... An exploding S6 edge+... The touchwiz lag that is really hard to put up with... 

Note 7 explodes during charging: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-explodes-during-charging-witness-photos-from-the-aftermath_id84457

or the one with S7 Active failing the immersion test :P

Just now, zMeul said:

I don't have issues with my phones either, why? because I don't bang them against the walls, put them in the same pocket as the keys .. sensible stuff like that

dad broke two phones: one he put in the same pocket with a fistful of keys; 2nd one dropped on pavement - kaput

I dropped my S6 onto a metal grandstand yesterday at Rockingham, no damage.

I dropped it screen first onto a solid floor in college, no damage.

My dad dropped his Xperia Z5 onto a soft bathroom floor, screen died completely with no visible damage.

My S4 had a full 500ml can dropped onto it, screen was cracked but it still worked perfectly fine, I used it for a whole year like that.

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

4 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Undermining your intelligence, or making their tools easier to use? In the same sense, samsung and others are also undermining the intelligence of their customers.

That is the point of marketing, to affiliate apple with quality and ease. Whenever those people hear apple, they know what their are getting into.

Take a look at andriod (where quality can range from shittier $50 phone to a iphone competitior), or simply samsungs own phone-product-stack.

In order to change my fucking wallpaper, I have to go into settings... iOS is way too idiot proof... Every time I use an iOS/MacOS device, I feel like they think I am  retarded.... 

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Note 7 explodes during charging: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-explodes-during-charging-witness-photos-from-the-aftermath_id84457

I only buy Sony phones.... My M4 which costs $200 and less is faster and has less crashes than my friend's note 4...

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

A phone exploded using a microusb to type c connector, in China, the land of cheap and hazardous products