I need help choosing custom cables for my power supply

Go to solution Solved by astrosheen,
9 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

For the cables I thought that one of them didn't have as much customization (meaning just single colors on the cables). For the case I was thinking a Mid Tower ATX case. I need a popular case, not some budget case that I have never heard of. I have a dual fan GPU, an ATX motherboard, and I will probably get a watercooler for my CPU.

If you use https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/# you can create almost any combination you want for both full length and extensions. I'd recommend the define r5 or define s(if you dont need optical drive or lots of hdds) though you should go on http://pcpartpicker.com/ and use the filters to narrow down what you are after to get some more options. 

6 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

Also, you recommended full length cables, but my power supply is only semi-modular. What will I do with the 24 pin connector? In the picture I think I saw all the cables being input to input (meaning that you need to put the cable directly into the power supply) and the 24 pin connector being an extension. Can they come that way? Is that why they ask for your power supply name when looking for the cables on their website?

You will have to use extensions for the non modular cables (i made an edit after my first post).yes that is part of the reason they ask for the psu. I havent used the configurator extensively but you may need 2 orders for the full length and extensions  

Hi I have the Corsair CX750M power supply. It is semi-modular. I want to get Red and Black custom sleeving for my pc. I don't want to make it myself so I am planning on buying from Cablemod. I am confused about full length cables and cable extensions. Can someone please tell me what types there are, what is the best, and anything bad about them? Thanks!

Hi I have the Corsair CX750M power supply. It is semi-modular. I want to get Red and Black custom sleeving for my pc. I don't want to make it myself so I am planning on buying from Cablemod. I am confused about full length cables and cable extensions. Can someone please tell me what types there are, what is the best, and anything bad about them? Thanks!

They are exactly what they say. Extension extend you current cables whereas full length replace the current ones . IMO get full length and replace your current cables. cable extension create more cables to hid and are only really good when you have a basement . you will need extensions for the non modular cables though

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

3 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

They are exactly what they say. Extension extend you current cables whereas full length replace the current ones . IMO get full length and replace your current cables. cable extension create more cables to hid and are only really good when you have a basement . you will need extensions for the non modular cables though

Ok thanks for the answer. Will the extensions have more colors or is it the other way around? Also I am looking for a case since I am building from the ground up. I saw you have the Define R5. Can I have some ideas on what case I should get? I need something that would have a window since I am getting lighting and custom cables. I don't want any of those square completely glass cases, and the price doesn't matter. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Antoniopap said:

Ok thanks for the answer. Will the extensions have more colors or is it the other way around? Also I am looking for a case since I am building from the ground up. I saw you have the Define R5. Can I have some ideas on what case I should get? I need something that would have a window since I am getting lighting and custom cables. I don't want any of those square completely glass cases, and the price doesn't matter. Thanks!

what do you mean by more colors. cablemods color choice should be the same with extensions and full length. To recommend a case id need to get an idea of what components you want to put in and what size you are after

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

what do you mean by more colors. cablemods color choice should be the same with extensions and full length. To recommend a case id need to get an idea of what components you want to put in and what size you are after

For the cables I thought that one of them didn't have as much customization (meaning just single colors on the cables). For the case I was thinking a Mid Tower ATX case. I need a popular case, not some budget case that I have never heard of. I have a dual fan GPU, an ATX motherboard, and I will probably get a watercooler for my CPU.

A glitch happened and I triple posted. I don't know how to delete the two posts just so you know. Sorry about that

18 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

Also, you recommended full length cables, but my power supply is only semi-modular. What will I do with the 24 pin connector? In the picture I think I saw all the cables being input to input (meaning that you need to put the cable directly into the power supply) and the 24 pin connector being an extension. Can they come that way? Is that why they ask for your power supply name when looking for the cables on their website?

9 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

If you use https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/# you can create almost any combination you want for both full length and extensions. I'd recommend the define r5 or define s(if you dont need optical drive or lots of hdds) though you should go on http://pcpartpicker.com/ and use the filters to narrow down what you are after to get some more options. 

You will have to use extensions for the non modular cables (i made an edit after my first post).yes that is part of the reason they ask for the psu. I havent used the configurator extensively but you may need 2 orders for the full length and extensions  

25 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

Thanks!

No problem. Welcome to the forums 

11 hours ago, Antoniopap said:

They ask for your PSU model coz not all PSU connectors are made the same, there's no global standard for it.

So if you buy extension cables, if you ever change PSU later, you will need to check whether it's the same pins or not and if it's not then you can't use those cables.

So, ask yourself before deciding on extensions, will you change the PSU in the near future or not.

54 minutes ago, Ichi said:

They ask for your PSU model coz not all PSU connectors are made the same, there's no global standard for it.

So if you buy extension cables, if you ever change PSU later, you will need to check whether it's the same pins or not and if it's not then you can't use those cables.

So, ask yourself before deciding on extensions, will you change the PSU in the near future or not.

Extension cables are universal.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Extension cables are universal.

Ah, yes, the connectors on mobo, gpu and all is standard.

The modular parts on the PSU itself is not.

Noted.