Windows 10 - USB ports stopped working

Bugses

Okay, I've never tried this before. All of a sudden, after turning my computer on, my keyboard and mouse wouldnt work past POST. My USB microphone got power, so did my DAC, but not my keyboard or mouse. I reset my BIOS to default, I tried to repair Windows, nothing worked. I just finished reinstalling Windows 10, and now it works again.

Anyone got a clue what happened?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

6 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Okay, I've never tried this before. All of a sudden, after turning my computer on, my keyboard and mouse wouldnt work past POST. My USB microphone got power, so did my DAC, but not my keyboard or mouse. I reset my BIOS to default, I tried to repair Windows, nothing worked. I just finished reinstalling Windows 10, and now it works again.

Anyone got a clue what happened?

maybe the driver stopped working..?

1 minute ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

maybe the driver stopped working..?

Thats just a little weird. I had no Windows update pending, so it couldnt really screw anything up, and both my mouse and keyboard stopped at the same time.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

4 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Thats just a little weird. I had no Windows update pending, so it couldnt really screw anything up, and both my mouse and keyboard stopped at the same time.

I have no clue..

7 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Was it a clean installed windows 10?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ive had this issue too, (turned out to be my corsair k70 but nvm that)

-maybe try updating the chipset driver if there are any?

-you could check the bios for a setting to fully intalise your usb ports,

-check what ports your keyboard is in it may see the keyboard in a 2.0 and not a 3.0 or vice versa.

One item to check in the BIOS is fast boot.

To my surprise this sometimes disables the USB ports (or delays them) and in some cases I've personally found this prevents some of my keyboards and mice from working.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

52 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Was it a clean installed windows 10?

Yeah

51 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

Ive had this issue too, (turned out to be my corsair k70 but nvm that)

-maybe try updating the chipset driver if there are any?

-you could check the bios for a setting to fully intalise your usb ports,

-check what ports your keyboard is in it may see the keyboard in a 2.0 and not a 3.0 or vice versa.

Never had any problems before. I shut off the computer, and the next time I turned it on, it didnt work.

50 minutes ago, Redportal said:

One item to check in the BIOS is fast boot.

To my surprise this sometimes disables the USB ports (or delays them) and in some cases I've personally found this prevents some of my keyboards and mice from working.

Yeah I disabled that too, but that didnt work.