First Build. Please help.

Cozmo

I am finally building my first gaming PC. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my parts list that I have so far and see if I am either missing something or have created any bottlenecks. I do plan on water cooling, I just haven't picked out the parts yet. I may wait till I somewhat put it together to plan for it better. I have also not picked out a monitor, but I am going to get a 4K @ 60hz IPS. I am also not worried about price too much and do realize some of these parts are overkill.

Part list so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Processor

Motherboard: asus x99-deluxe 2

Case: COSMOS II

Graphics Card: 2 ASUS GTX 1080 Strix in SLI

RAM: Corsair 32Gb 2133 dual channel (4 8Gb sticks)

PSU: Corsair AX1500i

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 1TB (three in raid 5) (software raid controller)

Wow. Just about every part is overkill.

-If you're only gaming, a i7 6700K will outperform the i7 5930K. On top of that, you don't need the 40 PCIe lanes of the i7 5930K. I also find it extremely difficult to justify spending $400 on a motherboard. Do you really need it or is it just because it's expensive?

-32GB of RAM is not needed. Get yourself 16GB of 3600MHz G.Skill TridentZs.

-You don't need a 1500W power supply unit. Get yourself a Corsair RM750i for cheaper.

-Any particular reason for RAID 5?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

@Cozmo Damn this is going to be fun.

Basically. Its up to what you want. I would advise a 6700k 

at this point you may want to consider maybe watercooling it? maybe? thats just me

But at this price point it is completely up to you what you want to put in this build.

And no. This build wont have any bottlenecks

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Wow. Just about every part is overkill.

-If you're only gaming, a i7 6700K will outperform the i7 5930K. On top of that, you don't need the 40 PCIe lanes of the i7 5930K. I also find it extremely difficult to justify spending $400 on a motherboard. Do you really need it or is it just because it's expensive?

-32GB of RAM is not needed. Get yourself 16GB of 3600MHz G.Skill TridentZs.

-You don't need a 1500W power supply unit. Get yourself a Corsair RM750i for cheaper.

-Any particular reason for RAID 5?

I know theses are all over kill haha. I will look into the 6700K. Thank you. The motherboard had good reviews, and I'm not worried about the price. About the RAID 5, I don't know, I guess i just like how it works.  I have a system that I admin at work that uses it, and after actually learning how it really works, I started to like it a little more.

14 minutes ago, Cozmo said:

I am finally building my first gaming PC. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my parts list that I have so far and see if I am either missing something or have created any bottlenecks. I do plan on water cooling, I just haven't picked out the parts yet. I may wait till I somewhat put it together to plan for it better. I have also not picked out a monitor, but I am going to get a 4K @ 60hz IPS. I am also not worried about price too much and do realize some of these parts are overkill.

Part list so far:

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 1TB (three in raid 5) (software raid controller)

Everything is so overkill, good for many years. You dont need 1500W for 2 1080s, 750W will be fine. What do you use your PC for? Just for Gaming? The 6700K is cheaper and will be faster for gaming than the 5930k (Both are beast though). 16 Gb will also be fine, you will hardly notice the difference between 32 and 16. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, Lilithty said:

@Cozmo Damn this is going to be fun.

Basically. Its up to what you want. I would advise a 6700k 

at this point you may want to consider maybe watercooling it? maybe? thats just me

But at this price point it is completely up to you what you want to put in this build.

And no. This build wont have any bottlenecks

Thank you. I am going to water cool. Really nervous to do it too, because I have never done it before, and I do not want to break my stuff if I do it wrong or and it leaks lol. you are the second person who suggested a 6700K. I will definitely look into it.

Part list so far:

Everything is so overkill, good for many years. You dont need 1500W for 2 1080s, 750W will be fine. What do you use your PC for? Just for Gaming? The 6700K is cheaper and will be faster for gaming than the 5930k (Both are beast though). 16 Gb will also be fine, you will hardly notice the difference between 32 and 16. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

Yea. It's still a kick-ass CPU and unless you really need the extra threads / cores then it'll work fine.

Are you trying to do a custom loop? Or an AIO?

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

I chose that power supply, because it seemed to be getting great reviews. Since I am not too worried about price, I figured I could go with that one, not only because it its good, but I figured the extra wattage would be a safe bet even if it was way more than I needed. As for what I use my PC for, mostly gaming. I do dabble into photo and video editing a bit, but even though i love doing that stuff, I'm too lazy to actually do it, so I never get any better lol. 

12 minutes ago, Lilithty said:

Yea. It's still a kick-ass CPU and unless you really need the extra threads / cores then it'll work fine.

Are you trying to do a custom loop? Or an AIO?

I would like to a custom loop. I have been watching a lot of videos on it, I think I remember hearing custom loops a little easier to maintain and don't need to be changed as much. Plus, I think it would be fun building a custom one :) 

1 minute ago, Cozmo said:

I chose that power supply, because it seemed to be getting great reviews. Since I am not too worried about price, I figured I could go with that one, not only because it its good, but I figured the extra wattage would be a safe bet even if it was way more than I needed. As for what I use my PC for, mostly gaming. I do dabble into photo and video editing a bit, but even though i love doing that stuff, I'm too lazy to actually do it, so I never get any better lol. 

Just get the 6700K, it's still very good for editing. I would still save money on the PSU and spend it on something else, it's double what you need. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

3 minutes ago, Cozmo said:

I know theses are all over kill haha. I will look into the 6700K. Thank you. The motherboard had good reviews, and I'm not worried about the price. About the RAID 5, I don't know, I guess i just like how it works.  I have a system that I admin at work that uses it, and after actually learning how it really works, I started to like it a little more.

I'll be honest, you could do the exact same thing with a $150 motherboard and you wouldn't notice unless there were some features (Thunderbolt for instance) that you really wanted/needed.

RAID 5 is primarily for data redundancy and SSD drives are often extremely reliable, so it may just be the better choice to get a single drive unless you're that paranoid.

In my honest opinion, I'd change those two GPUs to a single Titan X Pascal and put the saved money towards a second one. You are doing a custom loop anyway so I don't see why you need the ROG STRIX.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I'll be honest, you could do the exact same thing with a $150 motherboard and you wouldn't notice unless there were some features (Thunderbolt for instance) that you really wanted/needed.

RAID 5 is primarily for data redundancy and SSD drives are often extremely reliable, so it may just be the better choice to get a single drive unless you're that paranoid.

In my honest opinion, I'd change those two GPUs to a single Titan X Pascal and put the saved money towards a second one. You are doing a custom loop anyway so I don't see why you need the ROG STRIX.

True. I wasn't really planning on using the M.2 or U.2 (at least not that I know of) and, I honestly do not know what Thunderbolt is lol. I will look into different motherboards. 

Maybe I will start out with a 1tb SSD and get a large HDD as a backup drive  and have it perform regular backups.

I just watched some benchmarks of the Titan X Pascal vs the 1080. That thing is a beast lol. Yea, I'm definitely going to get that one then try for two way SLI when I get the money for a second one.

39 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Just get the 6700K, it's still very good for editing. I would still save money on the PSU and spend it on something else, it's double what you need. 

i think i will stick with the 5930K after comparing the two. I will look into other power supplies as well,  but I might still pick that one.

Just now, Cozmo said:

i think i will stick with the 5930K after comparing the two. I will look into other power supplies as well,  but I might still pick that one.

If you're going X99, grab a i7 6800K instead. You won't need the extra PCIe lanes of the i7 5930K.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

If you're going X99, grab a i7 6800K instead. You won't need the extra PCIe lanes of the i7 5930K.

Just looked at it. Looks pretty much the same to me, except it is about $200 dollars cheaper. Could you please explain about PCIe lanes? I looked at that little info box on Intel's site, but i would like a better description.

27 minutes ago, Cozmo said:

Just looked at it. Looks pretty much the same to me, except it is about $200 dollars cheaper. Could you please explain about PCIe lanes? I looked at that little info box on Intel's site, but i would like a better description.

Basically, your CPU has a set number of PCIe lanes. This depends on what CPU you have (for example, a i7 5820K has 28 PCIe lanes whilst a i7 5930K has 40). Several devices use these lanes, the obvious one being GPUs. NVIDIA's GPUs require at least x8 so let's say if we had a i7 6700K which has only 16, you cannot go above 2-way SLI. Linus has a more detailed explanation in this video.

Spoiler

55 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Basically, your CPU has a set number of PCIe lanes. This depends on what CPU you have (for example, a i7 5820K has 28 PCIe lanes whilst a i7 5930K has 40). Several devices use these lanes, the obvious one being GPUs. NVIDIA's GPUs require at least x8 so let's say if we had a i7 6700K which has only 16, you cannot go above 2-way SLI. Linus has a more detailed explanation in this video.

So each PCIe slot number corresponds to how many lanes from the CPU it can use, but are all these lanes based off gen one PCI for bandwidth? So if any card, lets say, gets only 8 lanes, it wouldn't matter because a gen three 8x is still faster than a gen one 16x? (did i get that right for both the lanes and how that generations of PCI work?)

1 hour ago, Cozmo said:

So each PCIe slot number corresponds to how many lanes from the CPU it can use, but are all these lanes based off gen one PCI for bandwidth? So if any card, lets say, gets only 8 lanes, it wouldn't matter because a gen three 8x is still faster than a gen one 16x? (did i get that right for both the lanes and how that generations of PCI work?)

Gen 1.1 isn't exactly used anymore so I can't really say whether Gen 3.0 x8 is faster than Gen 1.1 x16. I suspect it is but perhaps someone else can enlighten you on that.

I'll try to explain more simply - a GPU wants 16 lanes, naturally. If something else is plugged in (another GPU for instance) and there isn't enough lanes, it'll automatically halve the number of lanes of that component. 

For now, you won't have to worry about the number of PCIe lanes you need. As long as you're trying to do 3-way SLI (please don't), you should be fine.

Spoiler

Double post. This forum is buggy.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Gen 1.1 isn't exactly used anymore so I can't really say whether Gen 3.0 x8 is faster than Gen 1.1 x16. I suspect it is but perhaps someone else can enlighten you on that.

I'll try to explain more simply - a GPU wants 16 lanes, naturally. If something else is plugged in (another GPU for instance) and there isn't enough lanes, it'll automatically halve the number of lanes of that component. 

For now, you won't have to worry about the number of PCIe lanes you need. As long as you're trying to do 3-way SLI (please don't), you should be fine.

so if i wanted two way sli, using a cpu that has only 28 lanes, both gpus would 8 right? because there aren't 32 lanes to accommodate both full 16x slots? if that is the case, then i would like to get a better understanding as to why i would not get less performance.

13 minutes ago, Cozmo said:

so if i wanted two way sli, using a cpu that has only 28 lanes, both gpus would 8 right? because there aren't 32 lanes to accommodate both full 16x slots? if that is the case, then i would like to get a better understanding as to why i would not get less performance.

Nope. One GPU would be x16, the other would be x8.

As for why you wouldn't get less performance, PCIe 3.0 bandwidth isn't a restriction for modern graphics cards.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Nope. One GPU would be x16, the other would be x8.

As for why you wouldn't get less performance, PCIe 3.0 bandwidth isn't a restriction for modern graphics cards.

so what your saying is, that even though one gpu would only be getting 8x, the PCIe 3.0 has enough bandwidth to support the card even with half the lanes?

so what your saying is, that even though one gpu would only be getting 8x, the PCIe 3.0 has enough bandwidth to support the card even with half the lanes?

Yes. Perhaps it may change in the future, but the performance difference x16 and x8 is nil.

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Yes. Perhaps it may change in the future, but the performance difference x16 and x8 is nil.

i guess i am still having trouble understanding it all and to how this all exactly  works....such as why would they make their cards 16x if it seems to only need 8x?