What do you think of this build?

rcarteraz

Okay, so little brother is getting into the PC gaming hype. He's wanting at least highest setting 1080p gaming with room to move up later on as monitors go down in price. Looking for low budget but great performance. Any recommendations would be great. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($70.94 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($58.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($428.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1069.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 02:39 EDT-0400

Half the BOM is in that GTX 1070.  Make sure you do a lot of research and make sure that's what you want.  The rest is all right, though I think there are better power supplies for the same money. 

6 minutes ago, rcarteraz said:

Okay, so little brother is getting into the PC gaming hype. Looking for low budget but great performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($428.89 @ OutletPC) 
 Total: $1069.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 02:39 EDT-0400

Bruh

Not a fan of asrock personally, but hey at least you picked a proper PSU instead of some 40 snap pop hiss one.  Also, I don't think a 1070 is really needed.  If it's a budget PC, 480 8gb or 1060 6gb if you absolutely have to go cuda would be more appropriate.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

10 hours ago, Mark77 said:

Half the BOM is in that GTX 1070.  Make sure you do a lot of research and make sure that's what you want.  The rest is all right, though I think there are better power supplies for the same money. 

Yeah, I think it's best for him.

10 hours ago, Aytex said:

G2 is a very good power supply series from EVGA supplied by seasonic

Thanks

10 hours ago, Overkilled said:

Bruh

I get your point. I guess it's more mid-level. However, compared to these $2k rigs I'm seeing I consider it budget lol.

9 hours ago, PCNoobie said:

I've added the case, and windows 10. I changed to 6500, because it's quad core processor with 3.2ghz, which is not bad. If you plan to overclock the system, I recommend you getting 6600k then.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bkF4sJ

Thanks, I'll look into that. Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned he already has a case and windows. Overclocking is likely going to happen. We'll see, if not then we'll consider the 6500.

9 hours ago, Cracklingice said:

Not a fan of asrock personally, but hey at least you picked a proper PSU instead of some 40 snap pop hiss one.  Also, I don't think a 1070 is really needed.  If it's a budget PC, 480 8gb or 1060 6gb if you absolutely have to go cuda would be more appropriate.

Do you have a recommendation other than asrock? I've looked into it and it seems to be a decent low priced Z170 board but I'm open to suggestions. I guess it's really more mid-level budget build. Definitely want more GPU power at this time.