New build: I am a ultra noob.

Hi LTT,

(second time writing this as first time, forum signed me out and post didn't send/post -___-... Had it all neatly formatted etc, i'll try my best to do that same this time round) copy text before posting , i know i know...

So i need to build a machine, but also need money for a laptop refresh in the future (1-2 years time).

I currently use a 17" MBP spec'd out which does everything for me. I have always used laptops (expect when dialup days using parents windows 95 machine ^_^).

I game when i can but due to using low powered devices i have always been the 'oh my game just crashed, relogging in a min' guy. CPU maxing usually...

I am an industrial designer and do heavy 3D work: Modelling, rendering etc.. I am use to waiting 5mins for files to open or 10 mins for a object to rotate due to the calculations my machines struggled to do. 

I don't really have the money but i figure saving time buy spending a little more would increase efficiency and possible help make more cash? I'm sure thats how it works....

With my ultra noobs skills i have come up with the following: thank fudge for PPP.com!

Budget:

• £700-900 (again i don't really have the money but i will invest in myself God dammit!... I know the build i linked is way over this, but thats why i need help) I will justify prices if it helps with longevity. 

Planned usage: 

• Industrial design: Heavy 3D modelling, 3D rendering.
  • Graphic design work: Moderate photoshop, illustrator and sketching with 3D tablet.
  • Gaming: MMOs mainly, Some MOBAs. Would like to try 1 or 2 AA or AAA titles... have never been able to. 1080p is more than enough, any more and i would be a happy man/ boy/child (depends what i am playing)

Key points:

• Longevity!: i don't usually buy stuff/ upgrade until my current is dying or dead.
  • Simplicity: I would be willing to overclock but only after i feel it needs it - remember i am coming from a laptop background. Needs to be 'mum level'
  • Price/usage ratio: If more money is needed due to scientific reasons (it has to make sense for the extra cost) i will conside r the increase in budget.
  • Fancy level: nothing crazy fancy! no SLi or AMDs equal, 1070 was chosen for longevity (well thats what my brain tells me)
  •  

Your help is always welcome! I would prefer honest brutal questions and opinions, beating around the bush cost time and money!

Thank you for reading,

iWd 

-------

TLDR: I am a noob who has only every used laptops (17" MMP atm) to do everything. I need a machine to game (mmos mainly) and for heavy 3D work. Budget £700+

---------

10 minutes ago, iwednesday said:

Hi LTT,

(second time writing this as first time, forum signed me out and post didn't send/post -___-... Had it all neatly formatted etc, i'll try my best to do that same this time round) copy text before posting , i know i know...

So i need to build a machine, but also need money for a laptop refresh in the future (1-2 years time).

I currently use a 17" MBP spec'd out which does everything for me. I have always used laptops (expect when dialup days using parents windows 95 machine ^_^).

I game when i can but due to using low powered devices i have always been the 'oh my game just crashed, relogging in a min' guy. CPU maxing usually...

I am an industrial designer and do heavy 3D work: Modelling, rendering etc.. I am use to waiting 5mins for files to open or 10 mins for a object to rotate due to the calculations my machines struggled to do. 

I don't really have the money but i figure saving time buy spending a little more would increase efficiency and possible help make more cash? I'm sure thats how it works....

With my ultra noobs skills i have come up with the following: thank fudge for PPP.com!

Budget:

• £700-900 (again i don't really have the money but i will invest in myself God dammit!... I know the build i linked is way over this, but thats why i need help) I will justify prices if it helps with longevity. 

Planned usage: 

• Industrial design: Heavy 3D modelling, 3D rendering.
  • Graphic design work: Moderate photoshop, illustrator and sketching with 3D tablet.
  • Gaming: MMOs mainly, Some MOBAs. Would like to try 1 or 2 AA or AAA titles... have never been able to. 1080p is more than enough, any more and i would be a happy man/ boy/child (depends what i am playing)

Key points:

• Longevity!: i don't usually buy stuff/ upgrade until my current is dying or dead.
  • Simplicity: I would be willing to overclock but only after i feel it needs it - remember i am coming from a laptop background. Needs to be 'mum level'
  • Price/usage ratio: If more money is needed due to scientific reasons (it has to make sense for the extra cost) i will conside r the increase in budget.
  • Fancy level: nothing crazy fancy! no SLi or AMDs equal, 1070 was chosen for longevity (well thats what my brain tells me)
  •  

Your help is always welcome! I would prefer honest brutal questions and opinions, beating around the bush cost time and money!

Thank you for reading,

iWd 

-------

TLDR: I am a noob who has only every used laptops (17" MMP atm) to do everything. I need a machine to game (mmos mainly) and for heavy 3D work. Budget £700+

---------

Colour scheme?

And too be honest i would swap out the 2 4GB sticks for just one 8GB stick, but other than that it's pretty good!

Edited by DerpDiamonds1

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3

CPU: Intel Core I7 4790K

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970

RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB

HDD: Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB

SSD: KINGSTON SV300S37A480G 450GB

Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

Case: NZXT H440 Red

Monitor: DELL U2412M

Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K7

Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

38 minutes ago, iwednesday said:

-snip-

Hi

A year ago I also did my very first build with little to no knowledge of parts. I've eventually built it last summer after planning it for months.

Here are my constatations (I'm not claiming I'm an expert though):

I've been running three 1080p displays for a wide-screen gaming view (and for multitasking of coarse), and I've been able to run all games I want using a gtx 970 NO problem at all.

I've not done research for how well multi-display technology scales compared to just a single one (the graphics on the outer display are very stretched, and I would guess they're less demanding to output). But I think you'd be fine using a 1060 or an rx480 for the next few years if you're only planning to use one display.

The i5 is quite a good choice (I'm running a 4690k), but since your chip isn't overclockable you don't really need the liquid cooler... If you want something more quiet than the stock fan, I would opt for the Hyper 212 evo or the scythe mugen 4. They are also less subjected to being faulty (less moving components, no water that can leak)

Normally 8 GB of ram is enough for day to day use... But if you want to run a bunch of chrome tabs, an antivirus in the background and you're not watching which update programs are running, you could be running short sometimes while doing your work. However, if you've experienced from your laptop use that you can live with 8GB, I would go for it!

I advise you to listen to this guy though, this way you can upgrade if needed in the future (ram upgrades are quite cheap nowadays).

47 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

And too be honest i would swap out the 2 4GB sticks for just one 8GB stick

And about this

48 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

Colour scheme?

I see you use a case without a window, but it's always nice if your components fit together.

The only thing that sticks out are the gold details on the motherboard, so it seems just fine to me

I wish you the best of luck with your pc build!

Greetings

Reds Duty

22 hours ago, SandersFlor said:

Hi

A year ago I also did my very first build with little to no knowledge of parts. I've eventually built it last summer after planning it for months.

Here are my constatations (I'm not claiming I'm an expert though):

I've been running three 1080p displays for a wide-screen gaming view (and for multitasking of coarse), and I've been able to run all games I want using a gtx 970 NO problem at all.

I've not done research for how well multi-display technology scales compared to just a single one (the graphics on the outer display are very stretched, and I would guess they're less demanding to output). But I think you'd be fine using a 1060 or an rx480 for the next few years if you're only planning to use one display.

The i5 is quite a good choice (I'm running a 4690k), but since your chip isn't overclockable you don't really need the liquid cooler... If you want something more quiet than the stock fan, I would opt for the Hyper 212 evo or the scythe mugen 4. They are also less subjected to being faulty (less moving components, no water that can leak)

Normally 8 GB of ram is enough for day to day use... But if you want to run a bunch of chrome tabs, an antivirus in the background and you're not watching which update programs are running, you could be running short sometimes while doing your work. However, if you've experienced from your laptop use that you can live with 8GB, I would go for it!

I advise you to listen to this guy though, this way you can upgrade if needed in the future (ram upgrades are quite cheap nowadays).

And about this

I see you use a case without a window, but it's always nice if your components fit together.

The only thing that sticks out are the gold details on the motherboard, so it seems just fine to me

I wish you the best of luck with your pc build!

Greetings

Reds Duty

@SandersFlor thanks for the break down. I swapped out the cooler as recommended which has reduced the price a bit. Thanks for the tips. Now to hunt down for the cheapest prices ^_^

I personally would swap the seagate drive for a WD-Toshiba Variant as Seagate drives from what i heard have a higher failure rate than something from WD or such.

i AM A TASTY NUUUUUB!!!!! 

@iwednesday just wanna know, which programs as there are the cuda and opencl problems.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

@DeezNoNos 

I'll be running:

1. Solidworks
  2. Rhino
  3. Vray (on rhino)
  4. Keyshot
  5. Photoshop
  6. Illustrator 
  7. Sketchbookpro
  8. Mischief (sketching app)
  9. Sketch
  10. Guildwars2 (game)
  11. LOL (game)
  12. Witcher (game)
  13. GTA  (game)
  14. html based programs (but i doubt parts would affect these as they are text)

17 minutes ago, iwednesday said:

@DeezNoNos 

I'll be running:

1. Solidworks
  2. Rhino
  3. Vray (on rhino)
  4. Keyshot
  5. Photoshop
  6. Illustrator 
  7. Sketchbookpro
  8. Mischief (sketching app)
  9. Sketch
  10. Guildwars2 (game)
  11. LOL (game)
  12. Witcher (game)
  13. GTA  (game)
  14. html based programs (but i doubt parts would affect these as they are text)

go with a nvidia card as a lot of these run better on cuda cores to my knownledge (witcher, photoshop illustrator)

try and do some research with ur programs for cuda accerlation. Give me some time and ill make ppp list for u

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

ok lookie here GPU+ CPU overclock with a 1060 £973.18

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RBnXyf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RBnXyf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£293.88 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£29.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£87.60 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£55.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£45.78 @ Misco UK) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card  (£244.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£86.99 @ Novatech) 
Total: £973.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 14:34 BST+0100

With ONLY GPU overclocking with a 1070

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/89DntJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/89DntJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£211.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£87.48 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£55.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£45.78 @ Misco UK) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card  (£372.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £949.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 14:47 BST+0100

Build

Spoiler

@DeezNoNos wow, the first list with the i7 looks great.

The 3D software are optimised for Nvida Quadro cards from my experience.   

Which items would you recommend i buy first ? I've heard getting the PSU , MOBO and graphics card to test if they are not faulty is the best way to go.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, iwednesday said:

@DeezNoNos wow, the first list with the i7 looks great.

The 3D software are optimised for Nvida Quadro cards from my experience.   

Which items would you recommend i buy first ? I've heard getting the PSU , MOBO and graphics card to test if they are not faulty is the best way to go.

Thoughts?

So a gtx would be great, a xeon is basically a i7 with less clockspeeds but better quailty. but still get cpu psu mobo and ram first as you need all of these to test all 4 of them together.

Build

Spoiler

On 8/29/2016 at 4:50 PM, iwednesday said:

wow, the first list with the i7 looks great.

It does, yet I would replace the Corsair 200R with the NZXT S340. 

I've built my own rig in the 200R, and while it's a great basic case, the cable management is not so great and there are no nice extra's.

I've heard and seen a lot of good things about the S340, including the fact it has a window and a PSU basement (great for cable management).

On 8/29/2016 at 4:50 PM, iwednesday said:

Which items would you recommend i buy first ?

I bought all my components all at once, if your components don't arrive DOA.

Then you can start building (and using) it right away!

But if that is no option:

On 8/29/2016 at 6:04 PM, DeezNoNos said:

get cpu psu mobo and ram first