Collaborative Coding Tools

Rienks
Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

look for version control / source control

get any IDE that can hook to GitHub or something like that, like Visual Studio for example

Hi, 

My friend and I wanted to start a coding project together but we can't seem to find a program that allows 2 people to code at the same time (as in both working on the same thing at same time eg I write part of the script whilst he writes another but at the same time). Am I stupid and this isn't a thing? Do any of you know what program that allows this/has this feature?

Thanks

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

look for version control / source control

get any IDE that can hook to GitHub or something like that, like Visual Studio for example

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

A tool for branching and merging should do the trick. e.g. git. You write a bit of code and while your buddy is making a bit of code and the you merge the changes together. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

It really depends on what you're trying to code. If you are working on a web project of virtually any type, I would recommend Cloud9. It allows coding in real time and shows who wrote what code within seconds. It is basically just your own Ubuntu VM in the cloud, so you get everything, including a terminal and a chat.

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

jEdit has a server tool that can open a program file, you edit via the server, and more than one client can connect at the same time. 

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel