Water cooling vs. Fan cooling? + Recommendations?

juicyrock21

Hi all,

With my new build, i am trying to decide whether or not I should use water cooling. The purpose of this build, is so that I can do both gaming, and video editing. (as well as streaming in some cases) I'm very "noob-ish" when it comes to water cooling. And so, if I do decide to go with water cooling, I'm not sure what system will work with my build, besides the fact that I'll need one that'll work with LGA 1151 CPU's.

Here is my build - http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4KQd9W

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this decision. Along with giving me any recommendations on what I should add/remove with my build (:

Personal Budget: Under $2500 (i can make some exceptions)

Water cooling still uses fans...

A H115i or kraken X61 are good coolers.

If you don't want to watercool just buy a NH-D15.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, FoomZz said:

Hi all,

With my new build, i am trying to decide whether or not I should use water cooling. The purpose of this build, is so that I can do both gaming, and video editing. (as well as streaming in some cases) I'm very "noob-ish" when it comes to water cooling. And so, if I do decide to go with water cooling, I'm not sure what system will work with my build, besides the fact that I'll need one that'll work with LGA 1150 CPU's.

Here is my build - http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4KQd9W

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this decision. Along with giving me any recommendations on what I should add/remove with my build (:

Personal Budget: Under $2500 (i can make some exceptions)

Depends on you. High end air is much better value for money as it out performs most low end AIOs for the same price. High end AIO is slightly better, but costs almost double. If you can justify paying $50-$60 more for slightly better temps, sure. Also, AIO also generally looks better than having a big heatsink over your CPU. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Water cooling still uses fans...

A H115i or kraken X61 are good coolers.

If you don't want to watercool just buy a NH-D15.

I probably could have replaced "fan cooling" with "air cooling". And as well, I made a small mistake in my original post. instead of LGA1150, i meant to put in LGA1151. Will those still be compatible? 

12 minutes ago, FoomZz said:

I probably could have replaced "fan cooling" with "air cooling". And as well, I made a small mistake in my original post. instead of LGA1150, i meant to put in LGA1151. Will those still be compatible? 

ALL 115x socket coolers are cross compatible, if it does 1150 it does 1151, 1155, 1156. Personally I just did the H100i V2 for my new 6700k, probably could have saved 10-20 bucks and gotten a high end air cooler and been just as quiet, but I love the way the water block looks over a giant cooler. even in the Quiet setting it only gets up to about 65C when doing a video re-encode which are numbers you can see from some "silent" air coolers. Depending on the mode (and load) the PUMP of a water cooler can be just as loud as a decent fan, but even with the side panel off and the radiator sticking half way out from 5 feet away it's quieter then the fan of my G750 laptop (which was on its slowest speed) that was next to me when set to the Quiet mode. I also went with a RM750x PSU because it has a Zero Fan mode where until you get to about 300 watts or so of draw the fan doesn't come on further adding to how quiet my build is, now to find a case to quiet it down the rest of the way.

20160825_013655.jpg

Water cooling is much quieter than air cooling. Are you willing to take the risk of leaking?

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

18 minutes ago, FoomZz said:

Yes, all sockets that start with 115 have the same mounting and all those coolers work on them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 hours ago, ForumTryhard said:

Water cooling is much quieter than air cooling. Are you willing to take the risk of leaking?

No, it isn't. They both still use fans but water cooling introduces pump noise. Air cooling will always be quieter than water cooling can be unless there's so much heat that there isn't a heatsink big enough to dissipate it. 

Water cooling is good if you want to push the limit of your oc. Otherwise, air cooling is usually the better value and quieter. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.