Ram heatspreader.

MattLY

Can I buy dead ram with nice heatspreders off ebay and stick it onto my ram which is just bare pcb. If so what shoul I use to adhere? Thanks for reading!!

You will need a heat gun to get the old heatspreaders off, it is not easy. I would just buy new RAM.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

or you could just buy RAM with nice heatspreaders on it in the first place for only a few dollars more

True 

3 minutes ago, MattLY said:

Can I buy dead ram with nice heatspreders off ebay and stick it onto my ram which is just bare pcb. If so what shoul I use to adhere? Thanks for reading!!

Why not just buy the bare heatspreader and put it on. Much easier to skip the step of extracting it. 

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

Why not just buy the bare heatspreader and put it on. Much easier to skip the step of extracting it. 

They make those? :o

Honestly it's not as hard as you think to pull the spreaders off most ram. You just need a hair dryer (usually, some have clips), heat it up 30 secs to 1 min. Then very carefully peel them off (they'll be pretty hot). My Cpu heat sink broke one of my Ripjaw X modules, and you can't buy a single replacement. So I bought a Ripjaw Z (same board and specs, different heatspreader and model number) and peeled the heatspreaders off and swapped the X to the Z and presto a new X. It only took 15 minutes. It can be done (if the chip layouts and or PCB are similar, some aren't), but is it worth it? No not really unless you were in my predicament.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]