Help me choose PSU

ivan3dx

So, I'm planning on buying an i5-4690k, and I currently have a GTX 750 TI. My current PSU could possibly handle it, but I want it to last for a future GPU updgrade. So I search in my countries market and the best prices I found were for the CX650M and CX750. Maybe 750w it's a little overkill, but they have good prices. They are both bronze, but gold psu are too expensive, the cheapest I could find was the Cooler Master V650 at arround $270. So yeah, I wanted to know what you guys think about those 2 PSUs.

4 hours ago, ivan3dx said:

So, I'm planning on buying an i5-4690k, and I currently have a GTX 750 TI. My current PSU could possibly handle it, but I want it to last for a future GPU updgrade. So I search in my countries market and the best prices I found were for the CX650M and CX750. Maybe 750w it's a little overkill, but they have good prices. They are both bronze, but gold psu are too expensive, the cheapest I could find was the Cooler Master V650 at arround $270. So yeah, I wanted to know what you guys think about those 2 PSUs.

You're not going to need more than 500 W, and there's no need to go with 750 W or higher unless you're doing SLI. CX and CXM power supplies are okay, but they are meant for entry-level builds, so take care when using a K-sku CPU with them.

The CX650M is semi-modular and only has the motherboard and CPU power cables wired into the power supply. You only have to deal with whatever cables you're going to use and not have to tuck away any unused cables, so it's nicer to build with.

What country do you live in that would make it cost that much? That sounds very ridiculous.

The CXM 450/550/650w is actually a much higher quality power supply than the older CX series.  Those are the newer 'grey labeled' corsair units which are leagues above the green labeled 700w unit you mentioned.  

The V-series is probably the better option overall though, especially if it's cheaper and is the full modular version.

Sauce: 

personally i wouldnt pick either id go with an evga supernova series over any of the ones you have picked a 650 g2 would set you back $99.99 from the evga site but im sure you can get cheaper on amazon or other retailer.

EVGA are hands down probs best power supplies out atm in my honest opinion

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0650-Y1

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-220-G2-0650-Y1/dp/B0106RDIN2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472264157&sr=8-5&keywords=evga+650

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

Stay away from the Corsair CX and CXM series they have coil whine and possibly if your unlucky Fail on you and you have to RMA or lose your components from power failure. I agree with RxL, Go with EVGA supernova series they make really good PSU's today.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

3 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

You're not going to need more than 500 W, and there's no need to go with 750 W or higher unless you're doing SLI. CX and CXM power supplies are okay, but they are meant for entry-level builds, so take care if you're using a K-sku CPU with them.

The CX650M is semi-modular and only has the motherboard and CPU power cables wired into the power supply. You only have to deal with whatever cables you're going to use and not have to tuck away any unused cables, so it's nicer to build with.

What country do you live in that would make it cost that much? That sounds very ridiculous.

I'm from Argentina, here is the page where I'm probably going to buy it (You can use a currency converter to see the prices in dollars). http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/fuente-gold#D[A:fuente-gold] And if you are surprised about the prices of PSU, you better not look at the prices of GPUs hahahaha.

2 hours ago, RxL said:

personally i wouldnt pick either id go with an evga supernova series over any of the ones you have picked a 650 g2 would set you back $99.99 from the evga site but im sure you can get cheaper on amazon or other retailer.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-220-G2-0650-Y1/dp/B0106RDIN2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472264157&sr=8-5&keywords=evga+650

If somehow I can get Amazon to ship that to Argentina, I'll try to buy that. I can't seem to find it on local stores.

2 hours ago, Heavygun1450 said:

Stay away from the Corsair CX and CXM series they have coil whine and possibly if your unlucky Fail on you and you have to RMA or lose your components from power failure. I agree with RxL, Go with EVGA supernova series they make really good PSU's today.

I didn't understand what's wrong with Corsair, but I'll take your advice.

8 minutes ago, ivan3dx said:

I didn't understand what's wrong with Corsair, but I'll take your advice.

His advice is garbage, coil whine is luck of the draw and CWT doesn't make all of the CXMs exactly the same. The new CXMs are quite good and you have nothing to worry about, just make sure the label on the PSU is grey/white-ish and you're safe for most any future GPU upgrade. Past the 550W version is where they sort of lose their value proposition.

Can you get Seasonic or Antec units, specifically the High Current Gamer, and True Power from Antec and the Seasonic S12/M12/G-series?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, Heavygun1450 said:

I've personally used both green and silver CXM power supplies and I can say that I have never had a coil whine issue. Perhaps only some of them get it?

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

His advice is garbage, coil whine is luck of the draw and CWT doesn't make all of the CXMs exactly the same. The new CXMs are quite good and you have nothing to worry about, just make sure the label on the PSU is grey/white-ish and you're safe for most any future GPU upgrade. Past the 550W version is where they sort of lose their value proposition.

I'm not sure why so many people have an irrational hatred towards CXMs. They're not my power supply of choice, but the CX450M's and CX550M's value is pretty hard to pass up if one is trying to go for low-cost. They're also great if replacing an OEM unit on a prebuilt PC to install a graphics card (I wouldn't trust most prebuilt PCs' PSUs with a yardstick), as many people simply can't afford building an entire PC from scratch and already have a desktop bought from a retail store and it's lacking a PCIe power connector and/or has too low of wattage.

• 2 months later...
On 26/8/2016 at 11:16 PM, RxL said:

Hey, I know this is old. But I can't get the G2 for a reasonable price here. I can however get the 650W GQ, what do you think of this one?

650GQ is good. Go for it.

2 hours ago, ivan3dx said:

Hey, I know this is old. But I can't get the G2 for a reasonable price here. I can however get the 650W GQ, what do you think of this one?