Best os for gaming

Lillew2016

Hi all

New guy to the forums here from plymouth uk loves linustechtips watch you all the time mrs keeps moaning at me lol

Now my question 

What os would you recommend for gaming I have used all windows os  mainstream versions anyway and have been getting bored with them and what something different but I also like to game with machine so I would like drivers for all the hardware.

AMD Phenom ii x6 1090t

Corsair h55 cpu aio cooler

Asus m4a88td-v evo usb3

8gb ddr 1333mhz 

2x120gb ssd raid 0

500gb western digi hdd

Corsair cx600 psu

Asus radeon r9 380oc 4gb

Can anyone recommend any new os it does ha e to be windows based I am willing to use anything.

Windows is the only Windows based OS, and Linux doesn't have great support for games.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT you could dual boot Linux and Windows http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Windows is the only Windows based OS, and Linux doesn't have great support for games.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT you could dual boot Linux and Windows http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

OR run Wine in linux, or VM windows inside linux

Just now, Arty said:

OR run Wine in linux, or VM windows inside linux

Yeah but performance won't be nearly as good as running Windows normally.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

For the latest games and the ones coming out this year, you should probably go with windows 10 for Direct X , vulkan and support for the others

If you dont buy AAA new games like me, I would stay on 7 because more games seem to be more compatible with it

I mean technically speaking linux is better performance wise but its not as popular as windows so no one writes games or spends as long writing drivers for it. shame really

Windows is the best option for gaming because that's where all the game support is.

If you're getting tired of windows then try customizing it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Windows is the best option for gaming because that's where all the game support is.

If you're getting tired of windows then try customizing it.

So for all you guys who say Windows, then XP? NT? 3.x?

Windows 10 Home x64.

Linux is still not up to par with Windows for gaming (even with WINE) and you not only get the latest edition of windows(as well as all the new features), you also get Directx12 with Win10.

The only compatibility issue as far as gaming goes that you might run into, is mainly with Safedisc/Securom "protected" games, as that is no longer working in Windows 10.

But most competent game devs/publishers have already issued patches for their games to fix that issue or you can just as easily crack the games to bypass that terrible DRM.

I'm not even sure if there's a game released in the last 5 years that used either of those bad DRM.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Obviously the latest version is the most refined and has the best compatibility.

Also the most secure.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Obviously the latest version is the most refined and has the best compatibility.

Also the most secure.

Except it isn't. First off... compatibility? No, not even close. Windows 7 easily has the broadest compatibility with games, applications, and hardware, out of all Windows OSes to-date, and by no small measurement.

But regarding security... how so? Microsoft's Secure Boot keys have been leaked, while the Anniversary Update is making people's partitions disappear. Win 10 often resets file associations arbitrarily, and the OS seems to get buggier with new updates, while Windows 10 brings the BSOD back in style, as if it was a requested feature. Also, Microsoft's community-powered QA is proving to be an inadequate replacement for the thousands of professional testing engineers that were laid off. Windows 7 is far more stable, reliable, and consistent than Windows 10.

Having the latest Windows doesn't mean much when Microsoft has drastically changed as a company, and the company that created Windows 10 is not the same company that created prior Windows versions, and the new Microsoft is not designing the new Windows with the same level of professionalism, or software-first mentality as the previous incarnation of Windows. There's new management, a new business model, new QA and update strategy, and a whole lot of reduced quality in the final product. With Windows 10, Microsoft and Windows are appearing to be past their "best-before" date, and more and more people are noticing. The current Microsoft strategy is non-sustainable, long-term, and MS might have a hard time getting back to the level of craftsmanship that previous Windows OSes were made with.

I would say that Windows 10 is a B-grade OS, and that people will be better off using Windows 7 or 8, which were designed and maintained by a much more competent Microsoft than the slimmed-down, priorities-shifted iteration of the company that is working on Windows 10.

The comments section for this Ars article reveals a lot of information about why Microsoft is a different company, since Windows 10, and why Windows is now a very ad-hoc, non-professional, and non-reliable product: Kindle crashes and broken PowerShell: Something isn’t right with Windows 10 testing

If you think Windows 10 compares to previous Windows OSes in quality, let alone being better in some way, then that's the power of placebo. I expect that in a bit of time, there's going to be a big exodus from Windows 10 to Windows 7, and that Steam's hardware survey is going to show the Windows 10 install-base decreasing, and the Windows 7 and 8 install-bases increasing.

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I take it your question is just kidding around. But, if you want a nostalgic experience, then whichever OS you most want to enjoy will be best. But if you just want to be able to play all games without issue, then I would recommend Windows 7, because it is by far the most compatible with the greatest number of games, old and new. Pretty much everything from DOS to present-day can be made to run on Windows 7. And though you won't get DX12 with Windows 7, you will get Vulkan (which does the same thing), and you'll also have access to far more community troubleshooting guides and fixes for older games than exist for other Windows OSes.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

blahblahblah

Please take your anti-windows10 rants and flame wars somewhere else, thank you. I don't need to hear your opinion for the 27th time.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Please take your anti-windows10 rants and flame wars somewhere else, thank you. I don't need to hear your opinion for the 27th time.

Information doesn't become a rant just because you're not open to receiving it. And since you gave what I believe is baseless and misinforming advice, I had to say something, for the sake of the OP, and for other people reading this thread looking for information which answers the OP's question.

I've given an objective list of examples for why your Windows 10 rah-rahing doesn't line up with the reality of what Windows 10 is. You gave no examples for why Windows 10 would be good, just a couple of claims that I asked for substantiation of my previous post, which I believe cannot actually be substantiated.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

DX12 and UWP

Also pretty much everything that worked on windows 7 works on windows 10 too even if it does not say "windows 10 supported". Although there are more and more games and software that are specifically made for windows 10 only.

zY4hQjD.jpg

Windows 10 also looks better and performs better when playing games. The way the OS is modular also makes updates much easier, and the OS will not lose support in 3 years like windows 7 and 8.

Any stability issues or stuff like that on windows 10 are from people who were too lazy to clean install and did the upgrade. If you clean install, then it works perfectly.

Anyone experienced with PC and operating systems knows that upgrading, cloning, or repairing an OS is not the correct way to fix things.

You're just blindly hating an OS because you either don't know how to use it properly, or haven't bothered to try it. It is a huge improvement over previous versions of windows.

If you somehow think that your opinion that "windows 10 sucks" is a fact and that the wall of text you wrote isn't a rant, then please reevaluate your life, thanks.

Spoiler

But others want to hear Delicieuxz's truthful and honest opinions.

Must be a full moon, lots of ego going around, in the real world anyway, thick as can be.

Its good to be reminded of it actually. Its not hard to see which way Microsoft is going, just look at Office 365 subscriptions.

I got Windows 7 Pro, but I think I can upgrade it to Windows 8 and do a Windows 7 skin on it. Looking back on it, I should have built my own system, so my Microsoft keys and computer would last years more.

33 minutes ago, Enderman said:

DX12 and UWP

Also pretty much everything that worked on windows 7 works on windows 10 too even if it does not say "windows 10 supported". Although there are more and more games and software that are specifically made for windows 10 only.

zY4hQjD.jpg

UWP isn't an advantage for end-users, and is actually restricting options for end-users. A person is not likely to want to use it unless the application they want to run is only available on the Windows Store, and nowhere else. The only Windows 10-only games I'm aware of are Microsoft-published games, and the only reason they're Windows 10 only is so that Microsoft can push Windows 10 adoption. I'm unaware of anyone other than Microsoft that is making Windows 10-only games. So, if a person is really set on playing Halo 5, Forza 6, or whatever else Microsoft publishes, then they might have a reason to use Windows 10. But if a person is not interested in Microsoft-published games (of which there are very few), then UWP offers them nothing.

DX12 will be missed without Windows 10, but Vulkan, which accomplishes the same low-level hardware communication to improve application performance, is available on all Windows versions, going back to Windows XP.

Windows 10 also looks better and performs better when playing games. The way the OS is modular also makes updates much easier, and the OS will not lose support in 3 years like windows 7 and 8.

Windows UI visual change is a preference, one which many people don't like. Windows 10 on average doesn't perform better in games than Windows 7 or 8, except when it comes to DirectX 12. But then, Windows 7 or 8 in Vulkan performs as well as DX12.

Any stability issues or stuff like that on windows 10 are from people who were too lazy to clean install and did the upgrade. If you clean install, then it works perfectly.

Anyone experienced with PC and operating systems knows that upgrading, cloning, or repairing an OS is not the correct way to fix things.

Many people are having stability issues with Windows 10 after having performed a clean installation of the OS - myself included. The Anniversary Update is breaking things left and right, and even the regular patches are breaking things in Windows 10:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3107306/microsoft-windows/microsoft-admits-to-distributing-windows-printing-bugs-in-kb-3177725-and-kb-3176493.html#tk.rss_all

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/06/16/june-patch-breaks-group-policy-settings.aspx

At this stage, there is a clear and growing consensus among IT, business, and home users, that Windows 10 is not an ironed-out OS, and that Microsoft's new QA testing model is not able to properly handle what is needed.

You're just blindly hating an OS because you either don't know how to use it properly, or haven't bothered to try it. It is a huge improvement over previous versions of windows.

If you somehow think that your opinion that "windows 10 sucks" is a fact and that the wall of text you wrote isn't a rant, then please reevaluate your life, thanks.

I used Windows 10 as my main OS for many months, and my evaluation of it is partly based on all the problems I had with it during that time, problems that, through researching, I've found are common. My view of Windows 10 is also based upon reading other common problems people are having with Windows 10, such as those in the comments section of the Ars article that I linked-to in my previous post, given above. It is also based out of being aware of the changes made from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10, and experiencing how options are now more limited, and setting up Windows is now more convoluted than before. My view is also based out of understanding the invasiveness of Windows 10, and how difficult it is to control non-authorized data flow in Windows 10.

I understand very well why I do not enjoy Windows 10, and why I don't find it to be of similar quality of professionalism to previous Windows OSes:

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Windows 7 is at the end of its "support" life isnt it?

In 2020, so 3.5 years away, which is basically a full Windows OS term. But with the current state of Microsoft QA, many people, and businesses are finding it more risky to accept Microsoft updates than to simply not update their PC. You can read the comments in this Ars article for more insight into that: Kindle crashes and broken PowerShell: Something isn’t right with Windows 10 testing

I have read a ton of articles about W10 researching my newest computer system purchase. Its all very shady practices Billy boy is doing.

Updates even revert security back to wide open default that were set to off while installing the O/S. They do that on purpose. They want all your info so they can sell it and use it, just like Google.

I've always liked windows 7, but that's probably because I've used it for over 7 years. I literally upgraded to windows 10 on the last day the free upgrade was available. Not quite sure I like it yet.

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

If you care about playing newer games in the future then windows 10.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

4 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

If you care about playing newer games in the future then windows 10.

Windows 7 will continue to be just as supported (except for Microsoft-published games), because game developers like to sell more copies of their games, and Windows 7 still accounts for 36% of all Steam users (according to their hardware survey), while Windows 10 accounts for 46%. No developer is going to make their game unavailable for more than 1/3rd of its potential market for the sake of pushing Windows 10... except for Microsoft.

But like I said above, I think that there will be a decrease in Windows 10 installations, and an increase in Windows 7 and 8 installations. A lot of people got Windows 10 as the free upgrade period was expiring, and I think that a lot of those people are going to end up going back to what they had before.

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows 7 will continue to be just as supported (except for Microsoft-published games), because game developers like to sell more copies of their games, and Windows 7 still accounts for 36% of all Steam users (according to their hardware survey), while Windows 10 accounts for 46%. No developer is going to make their game unavailable for more than 1/3rd of its potential market for the sake of pushing Windows 10... except for Microsoft.

But like I said above, I think that there will be a decrease in Windows 10 installations, and an increase in Windows 7 and 8 installations. A lot of people got Windows 10 as the free upgrade period was expiring, and I think that a lot of those people are going to end up going back to what they had before.

Windows 7 doesn't have directx 12, therefore any new games that use directx 12 won't be supported on windows 7 (to my knowledge) 

Edit, obviously if said games support multiple directx versions then it's all good, even then though you won't be using the game to it's full potential without using the better directx version.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

thanks for all of your replys i have gone with windows 10 pro and im going to run a VM and find some random os to play around with