Canada (as some of you know it, great white north) Internet.

RealBuizel10

Just watch my speedtest and be thankfull for what you have.

And i pay $21 montly.1.PNG

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

2 minutes ago, CBojorges said:

I always thought symmetrical speed was a standard in the first world country's. 

I have 50/50 (I usually get about 60/60) with axtel in Mexico. Here you can have up to 300/300 for about 90 usd. 

Nope, Symmetrical is actually very uncommon for Internet packages, at least in Canada and the US.

Consumer packages are ALMOST NEVER symmetrical. Why would they be? Most users hardly ever hit a few Mbps upload, and that's usually just when they are Skyping with Grandma.

The more Upload they give you, the less your total pipe can be dedicated to Download (Since most ISP tech works on a channel system, where you just add more channels to increase the speed, but there is usually a finite number of channels available).

Business class internet, on the other hand, is often symmetrical, because there's more need for higher upload speed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Waqas409 said:

Just watch my speedtest and be thankfull for what you have.

1.PNG

thats localhost

Used to be Buizel10. Forgot email password and LTT password. Check that account for my info.

O Canada ---- Vancouver, BC ----- Live 40km from LTT Office

Ive got Telus....I asked for the 50mbps plan.....they gave me the 15mbps dl plan for 30$. Definetly not what I wanted, but I have never gotten around to changing it. It works alright except for when everyone in the house is on the internet, in that case the television will skip and miss audio (rarely an issue). The plan also has a ridiculously low 100gb data cap (Im 90% sure thats what it is, if not lower)  that I can easily go over in one busy day. Luckily they haven't enforced it because if that was the case there is no way I would stick with the dinky plan they stuck me on. 

Edit: Im in Langley,BC btw

double edit: I would avoid telus if I were you...never again

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Strange that you would use that notation to list your speed, that's all :)

And don't take offence to my questions - you'd be surprised how many times people come in and say "My 10mb internet plan is too slow!"

Do they mean 10Mbps, which is rather slow, or do they mean 10MB/s, which is actually pretty damn fast by most standards.

its all good I get it :P

3 minutes ago, 1R8KLR said:

Ive got Telus....I asked for the 50MB plan.....they gave me the 15MB dl plan for 30$. Definetly not what I wanted, but I have never gotten around to changing it. It works alright except for when everyone in the house is on the internet, in that case the television will skip and miss audio (rarely an issue). The plan also has a ridiculously low 100gb data cap (Im 90% sure thats what it is, if not lower)  that I can easily go over in one busy day. Luckily they haven't enforced it because if that was the case there is no way I would stick with the dinky plan they stuck me on. 

Edit: Im in Langley,BC btw

wideopen should be avalible, why dont you get it?

Also right now i cant even load a youtube video.

EDIT: nvm my ethernet cable just broke now im on wifi

Used to be Buizel10. Forgot email password and LTT password. Check that account for my info.

Hmmm...

ISP: Talktalk (who uses BT openreach lines)

We pay 40 pounds per month (unlimited) including "cable TV" and phone

Speeds before FTTC internet:

5123733396.png

Speeds when I first got my FTTC internet:

5169928075.png

Speeds now:

5581632674.png

I cri...pls talktalk...give us modem/routers that can correctly handle the large amount of downstream interleave depth due to DLM...please do...I don't have 100 quid to spend on a new modem/router so rip me :/ 

Edited by Mr.Meerkat
Wrong pricing :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Cool. Here we can get near Gigabit Internet (yes - 940Mbps down, 50 Up), for 150$ per month unlimited bandwidth for residential.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/internet/internet-residential/internet/internet-fibre-940#

In some building you can get 100% fibre 1 gigabit $49 a month

2 minutes ago, RealBuizel10 said:

wideopen should be avalible, why dont you get it?

Also right now i cant even load a youtube video.

EDIT: nvm my ethernet cable just broke now im on wifi

Ive shopped around before looking for a new ISP.....Not sure I have ever seen wideopen. Thanks for the tip, ill check it out.

Just now, 1R8KLR said:

Ive shopped around before looking for a new ISP.....Not sure I have ever seen wideopen. Thanks for the tip, ill check it out.

its from shaw

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Cool. Here we can get near Gigabit Internet (yes - 940Mbps down, 50 Up), for 150$ per month unlimited bandwidth for residential.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/internet/internet-residential/internet/internet-fibre-940#

Talk about difference. 940/50. I've never seen speed with such delta. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Nope, Symmetrical is actually very uncommon for Internet packages, at least in Canada and the US.

Consumer packages are ALMOST NEVER symmetrical. Why would they be? Most users hardly ever hit a few Mbps upload, and that's usually just when they are Skyping with Grandma.

The more Upload they give you, the less your total pipe can be dedicated to Download (Since most ISP tech works on a channel system, where you just add more channels to increase the speed, but there is usually a finite number of channels available).

Business class internet, on the other hand, is often symmetrical, because there's more need for higher upload speed.

Well, with axtel I can get up to 200 symmetrical guaranteed so I guess it's not a problem for their infrastructure. 

I need those upload speed because I upload big files regularly to my Google drive. I assume you tubers would also appreciate it. 

I bet other users have use for such speed. Otherwise, why would they offer it? 

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think there's a sale or something at the moment but it's normally like $130 / month or more... and I would have expected them to stick to the 150 cap and not let you get 175

sometimes i get 200

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

198/0.4mbps...rip an associate of me, Virgin Media going ham with throttling his uploads :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, RealBuizel10 said:

its from shaw

Oh haha I should have remebered that I have looked at their page a hundred times. That is what I will be going back too for sure. Dealing with telus is a nightmare, and they force you to use their crappy modem/router which is enough reason alone to leave them, without even beinging their stingy caps into the picture.

On a side note Ive been drooling at my computer screen looking at the Internet services becoming available to apartment buildings in Vancouver lol.

6 minutes ago, RealBuizel10 said:

I'm connected via 5 GHz network through the combination modem/router provided by my carrier, Rogers, and I get about the same speeds as you are. I'm using a powerline adapter for ethernet, but it significantly slower due to it being plugged in to an 802.11g external router from Netgear. The only reason I'm using the wireless network from the Rogers modem was because my phone isn't able to connect to the external router.

36 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Probably done on purpose, to make it different from the business service which have matching upload and downloads, or close to it.

21 minutes ago, Narigaur said:

I'm connected via 5 GHz network through the combination modem/router provided by my carrier, Rogers, and I get about the same speeds as you are. I'm using a powerline adapter for ethernet, but it significantly slower due to it being plugged in to an 802.11g external router from Netgear. The only reason I'm using the wireless network from the Rogers modem was because my phone isn't able to connect to the external router.

My Shaw modem can max out my 150 down on 5g

Thats not bad, this is what I get in Florida for about $65 a month

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5583067245

5583067245.png

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

58 minutes ago, RealBuizel10 said:

https://gyazo.com/1d2411c9dd180ccaeb213e6dfb081ae5

The crappy competitor who must not be named offer.

Shhh... we don't talk about BC Tel here. Not after they supplied ActionTec V1000H modems with hackable SSH clients preinstalled.

This is my internet at work using the business line through Shaw on my laptop wirelessly over an R7000 running DD-WRT.

160826222501-3624.png

And this is the internet at home through Shaw on my desktop wired into an R7000 running Shibby Tomato.

160826225058-2441.png

We pay $75 / month for Internet 30, one of Shaw's older plans. We should change it out for a newer package, but the problem is we'd also have to completely change our cable package as well since we're on an old Tiered plan from the early 2000's. This would result in paying an additional $12/month in order to signup for all the Entertainment channel packages we need just to have the channels we watch currently. We don't actually want any of the extra channels that you'd get with these packages, but Cable providers have their hands tied by both the wallets of their executives and their advertisers and distributors so... yeah.

I also have zero desire to switch over to their Internet 150 plan as I DO NOT support the bait-and-switch advertising that seems so common with North American service providers. While it is indeed advertised that Internet 150 is only $49 for the first year ($79 if you're not a new subscriber), you still have to sign up for 2 years of service where the rate nearly doubles during your second year. I guess the European heritage in me believes the sticker price is what consumers should be shown up front, mandated by law, and not some promotional price that tricks our brains into thinking it's a better deal.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I get about 150-160 on wi-fi with the same plan. I actually work for the guys. It is not a bad deal for 80$/m

On 8/26/2016 at 3:59 PM, kirashi said:

Shhh... we don't talk about BC Tel here. Not after they supplied ActionTec V1000H modems with hackable SSH clients preinstalled.

This is my internet at work using the business line through Shaw on my laptop wirelessly over an R7000 running DD-WRT.

160826222501-3624.png

And this is the internet at home through Shaw on my desktop wired into an R7000 running Shibby Tomato.

160826225058-2441.png

We pay $75 / month for Internet 30, one of Shaw's older plans. We should change it out for a newer package, but the problem is we'd also have to completely change our cable package as well since we're on an old Tiered plan from the early 2000's. This would result in paying an additional $12/month in order to signup for all the Entertainment channel packages we need just to have the channels we watch currently. We don't actually want any of the extra channels that you'd get with these packages, but Cable providers have their hands tied by both the wallets of their executives and their advertisers and distributors so... yeah.

I also have zero desire to switch over to their Internet 150 plan as I DO NOT support the bait-and-switch advertising that seems so common with North American service providers. While it is indeed advertised that Internet 150 is only $49 for the first year ($79 if you're not a new subscriber), you still have to sign up for 2 years of service where the rate nearly doubles during your second year. I guess the European heritage in me believes the sticker price is what consumers should be shown up front, mandated by law, and not some promotional price that tricks our brains into thinking it's a better deal.

Exactly, If you can get the-telecom-who-must-not-be-named Fibre optic, its much better than shaw.

Im on a 2 year contract and cut my cable.

Problem is my parents are complaining that we have no TV. I am considering the-telecom-who-must-not-be-named Optik TV instead of Shaw. Can anyone tell me how good it is?