ASUS Laptop Recovery Wiped Machine

Dear LTT Forum,

So I have a bit of an issue with my mother's personal computer. At the airports while we were traveling, they kept requiring her to turn her computer on (and quickly off) to prove it was not incendiary. This, I speculate, caused the HDD disk header to get corrupted and would need to be recreated through a simple bootdisk fix. However, mothers being mothers, she decided, when prompted on boot, to simply hit return for any option without reading it. I again speculate that with the C partition having a corrupted header, the ASUS laptop loaded into its D Recovery partition with the main option being a complete restore of the factory system (including a wonderful formatting of the C drive). She of course chose this option, and now it is up to her son to correct it.

Two basic questions:

1) Does the ASUS recovery feature for R704A laptops keep a temporary copy of the Windows 7 version it is overwriting? Can I restore this?

2) Why the hell would ASUS allow for hitting enter several times to wipe an entire drive, doesn't that violate some unwritten common sense clause against low-grade users?

I'm not exactly holding my breath in regards to question 1, I'm just going to attempt to bit-by-bit restore it via another software, but before I do so want to make sure there isn't a way easier method.

I'd really love an ASUS representative to answer 2 though.

Thank you,
Dmitri

2 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Two basic questions:

1) Does the ASUS recovery feature for R704A laptops keep a temporary copy of the Windows 7 version it is overwriting? Can I restore this?

2) Why the hell would ASUS allow for hitting enter several times to wipe an entire drive, doesn't that violate some unwritten common sense clause against low-grade users?

Well it would not have backed up the main c driver sad to say it just overwrites it. As for the other...windows 10 reset my PC?!? Gives me so many headaches.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

It probably did a quick format so you can recover the files with a program if need be.

look in the c drive for windows.old or use windirstat to see if it backed it up somewhere

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

It probably did a quick format so you can recover the files with a program if need be.

look in the c drive for windows.old or use windirstat to see if it backed it up somewhere

Unfortunately, no windows.old on the drive. Looks like a full wipe that can only be partially restored via software as long as the HDD firmware opts to write to new sectors to improve longevity.