Would you recommend this PSU?

TomH
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
13 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

The BQ isn't half bad, ive used it for my NAS for a pretty long time and nothing has really happened other than a fan that seems a little loud at times

Just because you've used it doesn't make it good though. 

12 minutes ago, h4ns0n said:

Is it possible for me to move my os from the HDD to the SSD? It's just I got the HDD in a pre built so my only copy of Windows is on there lol

also I'll have a look into the seasonic ones thanks. Are there any other brands/models you would recommend? I've been reccomended XFX before. 

Whoa slow down there tiger. You can't just transfer one Windows install from one PC to another. You'll need to reinstall Windows on the new machine with the old hard drive in it first and then you'll need a new Windows key. Once that's done, yes, you can technically clone the hard drive's contents to the SSD later but it's best to just reinstall, thus this hassle is why it makes sense to buy an SSD now.

The XFX TS is a good choice for you, the Seasonic S12 is the same PSU sold under XFX, the EVGA B2 is good as well as the GQ, and the Seasonic M12/Antec HCG can often be found for roughly the same price as all these.

I'm working on a build with a PSU budget of about £50 ($65USD) and I wondered what the best PSU would be. I was thinking of a 500w EVGA one (pictured) but I don't know how good it is. 

Thanks

EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0500-KR) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xThWxb3Q1V2P0

Edited by h4ns0n

7 minutes ago, h4ns0n said:

I'm working on a build with a PSU budget of about £50 ($65USD) and I wondered what the best PSU would be. I was thinking of a 500w EVGA one (pictured) but I don't know how good it is. 

Thanks

image.png

Most of the evga ones are solid, pic is not showing up do you know the model?

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Modular-Warranty-110-BQ-0650-V1/dp/B01FYDU8X6/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472233169&sr=1-21&keywords=power+supply&refinements=p_36%3A-6500 

This PSU is pretty good although you will end up paying an extra few dollars for tax. If you use a free amazon prime account trial, you will get free 2 day shipping. It's enough power to power an i7 6700k and a 1060 windforce oc edition. (mostly because I use the 750 watt edition for my build but my parts don't actually use 700 watts

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Image.png is borked.

Nonetheless, what are your system specs?

It will be 

CPU: i5 - 6400

RAM: 8gb ddr4

GPU: Sapphire RX 480 nitro+

Hard drive: 3tb seagate 

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Modular-Warranty-110-BQ-0650-V1/dp/B01FYDU8X6/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472233169&sr=1-21&keywords=power+supply&refinements=p_36%3A-6500 

This PSU is pretty good although you will end up paying an extra few dollars for tax. If you use a free amazon prime account trial, you will get free 2 day shipping. It's enough power to power an i7 6700k and a 1060 windforce oc edition. (mostly because I use the 750 watt edition for my build but my parts don't actually use 700 watts

Nothing is known about the EVGA BQ so we don't know if it's "pretty good." It's made by HEC and that's all we know and HEC isn't exactly... reputable.

1 minute ago, h4ns0n said:

It will be 

I'd get an SSD and a Seasonic S12 ;)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, h4ns0n said:

It will be 

You'll be fine with a 650 watt PSU. So just use the one i recommended

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Nothing is known about the EVGA BQ so we don't know if it's "pretty good." It's made by HEC and that's all we know and HEC isn't exactly... reputable.

I'd get an SSD and a Seasonic S12 ;)

The HDD will have to stay as that one as it's coming out of my old PC 

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

You'll be fine with a 650 watt PSU. So just use the one i recommended

That's not a reason. As I said, the BQ is an unknown and it may be a firebomb, it's not recommended to buy it. It's also no recommended to just buy any old 650W PSU because it claims to provide X wattage. 

OK, I was just suggesting you use one as your OS drive before you install it on a hard drive. You can use the hard drive for storage on the side for your games and stuff.

Nonetheless, don't buy the EVGA BQ. Nothing is known about it except for that it comes from a sketchy-ish OEM so get the Seasonic S12 which is a known quantity and is fine for a 480.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

That's not a reason. As I said, the BQ is an unknown and it may be a firebomb, it's not recommended to buy it. It's also no recommended to just buy any old 650W PSU because it claims to provide X wattage. 

OK, I was just suggesting you use one as your OS drive before you install it on a hard drive. You can use the hard drive for storage on the side for your games and stuff.

Nonetheless, don't buy the EVGA BQ. Nothing is known about it except for that it comes from a sketchy-ish OEM so get the Seasonic S12 which is a known quantity and is fine for a 480.

The BQ isn't half bad, ive used it for my NAS for a pretty long time and nothing has really happened other than a fan that seems a little loud at times

That's fine then ;) 

Just get a seasonic unit or a XFX TS unit (or in fact any apart from the XT ones) and you'll be good to go, you can also consider a Corsair CXM if it was cheaper than both the SS and XFX units but it has to be the grey/white labeled ones :D (as the green ones are the old design and they are craptastic, like bad crap).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

You could consider buying an used EVGA supernova P2 650 watt- or a refurbished one

Is it possible for me to move my os from the HDD to the SSD? It's just I got the HDD in a pre built so my only copy of Windows is on there lol

also I'll have a look into the seasonic ones thanks. Are there any other brands/models you would recommend? I've been reccomended XFX before. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Wattage isnt everyhting

It was before i knew his pc specs.

You can get away with using a 500W PSU with that setup. 

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

It was before i knew his pc specs.

Even then its a bad PSU

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Even then its a bad PSU

It's not all about the brand. Even little known brands can have great quality even if they don't sell very well

Seasonic 520w is more than enough for your needs, either M or S version, one is just modular, the other isn't.

It's not all about the brand. Even little known brands can have great quality even if they don't sell very well

Yes, brand does matter. This is an unknown brand and doesnt even have 80+ 

Spoiler

AXIOM

They can, sure, but usually they don't.

Can you link a positive review about that particular series of PSUs?

13 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

Just because you've used it doesn't make it good though. 

12 minutes ago, h4ns0n said:

Whoa slow down there tiger. You can't just transfer one Windows install from one PC to another. You'll need to reinstall Windows on the new machine with the old hard drive in it first and then you'll need a new Windows key. Once that's done, yes, you can technically clone the hard drive's contents to the SSD later but it's best to just reinstall, thus this hassle is why it makes sense to buy an SSD now.

The XFX TS is a good choice for you, the Seasonic S12 is the same PSU sold under XFX, the EVGA B2 is good as well as the GQ, and the Seasonic M12/Antec HCG can often be found for roughly the same price as all these.

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Yes, brand does matter. This is an unknown brand and doesnt even have 80+ 

What im trying to say is that even brands that are smaller can have great build quality