What programming language should i learn?

DocBrown

Hey i was just wondering what would be the the easiest programming language to learn for a 14 year old who has no idea how to code? I don't even know if i said it right. 

Just now, Nicholatian said:

Python man. It’s simple, it works anywhere, it’s easy to learn. Go for it!

Is it free to learn? Like do i have to pay for anything like tutorials?

Imo, start with HTML to get really basic concepts, then move onto something like Python, then after a good amount of time try stepping up to JavaScript, then C#/C++

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

I'd personally recommend that you START with C programming first, THEN try Python.

C and Python have quite a bit of similarities, but Python is -- how I refer to it as, to an extent -- "relaxed / lazy" version of C.

The reason I said to start with C programming first is so that you DON'T get into BAD programming habits (that Python can introduce) as C has a bit more syntax restrictions / rules.

Then if you want, you can give Google's Go-Lang a try. It is the new "thing" right now -- especially with Software Engineering.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I started when i was 12 learning c#, although it can be frustrating a first I think it's a good language to learn first because it teaches you Object oriented programming right from the start (unlike c). It also shares a lot of similarities with c++ and Java, so it's good jumping platform. But any language is good to learn because you need to learn how to program not a language.

!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!

applying the language is more important than learning concepts such as OOP

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, -rascal- said:

I'd personally recommend that you START with C programming first, THEN try Python.

C and Python have quite a bit of similarities, but Python is -- how I refer to it as, to an extent -- "relaxed / lazy" version of C.

The reason I said to start with C programming first is so that you DON'T get into BAD programming habits (that Python can introduce) as C has a bit more syntax restrictions / rules.

Then if you want, you can give Google's Go-Lang a try. It is the new "thing" right now -- especially with Software Engineering.

I will agree with this.  I remember looking at some basic Python code, and was like darn, you sure can leave stuff out and sure has less syntax going on.  Also, was pissing me off they where not using comments to describe the blasted parts of the code and what each part was doing in the program.

And I only did a bit of Visual Basic and C++ since I had to do those for my current Associate in Computer Science that I am close to finishing up.  Right now doing the second class on C++.  Actually not that hard if you take your time with it.  Then again, the book our Professor is using breaks it down pretty good.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

8 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I will agree with this.  I remember looking at some basic Python code, and was like darn, you sure can leave stuff out and sure has less syntax going on.  Also, was pissing me off they where not using comments to describe the blasted parts of the code and what each part was doing in the program.

And I only did a bit of Visual Basic and C++ since I had to do those for my current Associate in Computer Science that I am close to finishing up.  Right now doing the second class on C++.  Actually not that hard if you take your time with it.  Then again, the book our Professor is using breaks it down pretty good.

Ditto.

Which textbook are you using for C++?

I took two (or maybe three) C++ courses in my Electrical Engineering studies (one more academic term to go :ph34r:), and I am not a fan of it -- the textbooks weren't great, and most importantly, the professors were pretty bad.

Spoiler

At this point these are part of my programming tool-chain:

• C Programming
  • Python
  • System C
  • Assembly / VHDL / Verilog
  • C++ (trying to avoid whenever possible, but...yeah...)
  • (Go-Lang)

• Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

5 hours ago, DocBrown said:

Hey i was just wondering what would be the the easiest programming language to learn for a 14 year old who has no idea how to code? I don't even know if i said it right. 

The better question is, what do I want to code? Am I making a mobile app, web app, general software, or a game?

The answer to that question will help you figure out the language you should be focusing on. But the even more important thing is understanding OOP (Object Oriented Programming) concepts and practices.

And before everyone yells at me saying "You can do all those things with a single language!" I say NAY! There are certainly languages that are more versatile than others but, as an example, you're not going to be seeing someone make a website out of Java or C++ nor would you see someone make a AAA game out of Ruby or PHP.

Here's a small list to help you out:

Games/Mobile/General Software: C++, Java, C#, Python
WebApps: JavaScript, PHP, Python(?)

I don't include HTML or CSS in that small list because neither of them drive your application, they help you design the overall look and feel.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

you're not going to be seeing someone make a website out of Java or C++ 

Java is one of the most popular languages for making websites and all the big sites like Google, Facebook and Twitter have parts built with C++ though that is fairly uncommon.

3 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

Java is one of the most popular languages for making websites and all the big sites like Google, Facebook and Twitter have parts built with C++ though that is fairly uncommon.

In Java's case, as an applet, sure. But that's getting killed off much like Flash due to security holes (Unless you're confusing Java with Javascript, which are in no way the same thing). As for C++ you sort of proved my point, just because you can doesn't mean it's the best solution.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, PocketNerd said:

In Java's case, as an applet, sure. But that's getting killed off much like Flash due to security holes (Unless you're confusing Java with Javascript, which are in no way the same thing).

There's more to a website than the front end and Java is, I believe, the most popular back end language (probably close between Java and PHP.) 

As for C++ you sort of proved my point, just because you can doesn't mean it's the best solution.

Those companies wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't the best solution (for them.) For a simple website you make to learn programming, no of course it wouldn't be necessary but that also doesn't mean it's a bad choice.

19 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

There's more to a website than the front end and Java is, I believe, the most popular back end language (probably close between Java and PHP.) 

Didn't think that Java was used for server applications aside from maybe Minecraft, the more you know!

Those companies wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't the best solution (for them.) For a simple website you make to learn programming, no of course it wouldn't be necessary but that also doesn't mean it's a bad choice.

I don't think I've ever said one or the other was a bad choice, just that some languages are more suitable for some tasks than others. That's the wonderful thing about programming and languages (and why focusing on OOP concepts is so important) because someone is going to figure out a way to do something no one ever thought of before.

6 hours ago, -rascal- said:

I would have to disagree with this. They're nowhere near similar. One's procedural, the other's object oriented.

Python is a relaxed version of C for a reason. For C, you have to deal with memory allocation, deallocation, leaks and what not yourself because there's no garbage collector. Let's be honest, anybody learning C for their first language for any good sized project will just get put the hell off. Furthermore, concepts like pointers, addresses and what not can overburden someone who has no experience whatsoever.

@OP, start with Python, C# or Java. They're all extremely popular and versatile languages (C# not as much as Java and Python). The best way to learn is with a project in mind. It can be something real simple, but something that you think is doable. Look at sources such as codecademy for the real basics for Python if you fancy learning that first.

I'd rarely recommend codecademy, but as a beginner, you can't go wrong with it. After that, look at tutorials from thenewboson or Derek Banas on Youtube. Become somewhat competent in the basics for a few weeks, then work on your project and learn from that.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

46 minutes ago, Tazman192 said:

I would have to disagree with this. They're nowhere near similar. One's procedural, the other's object oriented.

Python is a relaxed version of C for a reason. For C, you have to deal with memory allocation, deallocation, leaks and what not yourself because there's no garbage collector. Let's be honest, anybody learning C for their first language for any good sized project will just get put the hell off. Furthermore, concepts like pointers, addresses and what not can overburden someone who has no experience whatsoever.

@OP, start with Python, C# or Java. They're all extremely popular and versatile languages (C# not as much as Java and Python). The best way to learn is with a project in mind. It can be something real simple, but something that you think is doable. Look at sources such as codecademy for the real basics for Python if you fancy learning that first.

I'd rarely recommend codecademy, but as a beginner, you can't go wrong with it. After that, look at tutorials from thenewboson or Derek Banas on Youtube. Become somewhat competent in the basics for a few weeks, then work on your project and learn from that.

You do have some good points there, and I certainly agree with some of them.

I am saying Python is similar to C for most of the basic concepts. Examples

• Declaring variables
  • Arrays
  • If statements
  • Loops

But I am telling the OP to start with C programming first, so he/she does not get used to the bad habits Python can introduce.

For an example declaring a global variable in the middle of nowhere, or not initializing variables / arrays so you end up with garbage.

Memory allocation and de-allocation is more advanced, and considering OP is just starting, I doubt they will get into that until later.

Nonetheless, working with memory, pointers, and addresses (or even just to skim over it) will be beneficial -- especially if he/she decides to get serious with programming (e.g. post-secondary education).

I'm not saying to write a complete C-programming project to control an external ARM chip through the PCI bus, but to get a grasp of the basics.

• Simplistic functions
  • One-dimensional or two-dimensional arrays
  • Switch-case statements
  • If statements
  • For, while, and do-while loops
  • Outputting to the command prompt / terminal
  • Writing to a text file

• Ekwb Custom loop

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

You do have some good points there, and I certainly agree with some of them.

I am saying Python is similar to C for most of the basic concepts. Examples

• Declaring variables
  • Arrays
  • If statements
  • Loops

But I am telling the OP to start with C programming first, so he/she does not get used to the bad habits Python can introduce.

For an example declaring a global variable in the middle of nowhere, or not initializing variables / arrays so you end up with garbage.

Memory allocation and de-allocation is more advanced, and considering OP is just starting, I doubt they will get into that until later.

Nonetheless, working with memory, pointers, and addresses (or even just to skim over it) will be beneficial -- especially if he/she decides to get serious with programming (e.g. post-secondary education).

I'm not saying to write a complete C-programming project to control an external ARM chip through the PCI bus, but to get a grasp of the basics.

• Simplistic functions
  • One-dimensional or two-dimensional arrays
  • Switch-case statements
  • If statements
  • For, while, and do-while loops
  • outputting to the command prompt / terminal
  • Writing to a text file

In that case, I would recommend OP learn Java. You can learn everything listed by writing a simple Java app, and could also pick up some important OO concepts such as polymorphism, encapsulation, inheritance, and what not which I would argue are way more benefical to learn than handling memory, especially at the early stages.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

16 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Ditto.

Which textbook are you using for C++?

I took two (or maybe three) C++ courses in my Electrical Engineering studies (one more academic term to go :ph34r:), and I am not a fan of it -- the textbooks weren't great, and most importantly, the professors were pretty bad.

Reveal hidden contents

At this point these are part of my programming tool-chain:

• C Programming
  • Python
  • System C
  • Assembly / VHDL / Verilog
  • C++ (trying to avoid whenever possible, but...yeah...)
  • (Go-Lang)

It defiantly always go down to the book and teacher.  Our only CS teacher (no kidding he has to teach all the CS classes here) is pretty darn awesome and always willing to help out students.

The book he has us using is An Introduction To Programming with C++ Seventh Edition by Diane Zak.  It is like basic so it not like it asking you to do huge programs, but little ones to first get a basic understand of programming concepts.

Hmmm, you taking Electrical Engineering, how is that?  After I finish my Associate in CS I plan to go up to Auburn to go for an Engineering degree since Troy don't offer a degree program in Engineering.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

16 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Python is pretty much English so a comment to what the function does is probably enough.

for items in list
	add each item to total

then in python

for i in myList:
	total += i

I do like me some python though ^_^

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Python

Perl

Bash

PowerShell

PHP

JavaScript

SQL

HTML5

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

In descending order of being an interesting and valuable experience for beginners:

1. C++,
  2. Common Lisp,
  3. Perl,

4. Python.

All of them have great free books and tutorials available (I, personally, recommend Wikibooks for your first attempt).

Write in C.

On 8/26/2016 at 0:39 PM, DocBrown said:

What do you want to do?  Coding is very free form and a huge field to get into.

For game dev, I really liked Unity Game Engine, but it's gigantic and imposing on brand new developers.  With some tutorials they provide, you can learn it and feel very accomplished, and at the same time gain a solid understanding of Object Oriented Programming since each object on screen has its own behaviors that other objects can listen in on and interact with.  The C# you'd write is very simple and the default editor gives you hints and error messages when you make mistakes.

For something like Web or Mobile Development, I think HTML/CSS would be a good thing to learn (though calling it a programing language is a bit generous for reasons you'll learn if you study computer science).  Javascript has a steep learning curve if you want to understand why something works in it, but it's not a difficult syntax to understand and some tutorials will get you going.  Both HTML and Javascript can be used in combination with Cordova to write apps that work on Android and IOS, but I would first gain a solid understanding of HTML/CSS/JS before pursuing this. 

If you want to run an executable on your machine and have some form of User Interface pop up to the user, Python is definitely the most beginner friendly of the options that come to mind.  It forces you into decent code styling with their tab rules, and is syntactically not difficult to understand.  It was my first language and was a great stepping stone into the career I currently have as a software developer.

Good luck.

Python without a doubt. The work to reward ratio is far superior for beginners. 

This class is on youtube and free 

Python without a doubt. The work to reward ratio is far superior for beginners. 

This class is on youtube and free 

You'll regret learning Python rather soon. Python makes you lazy (and its refactoring is close to impossible).

Write in C.