Cloning Questions For A Kingston SSD

xXxSourcexXx
Go to solution Solved by xXxSourcexXx,
4 hours ago, zMeul said:

you do not merge partitions

EaseUS will clone the exact size of the partition and since C is last the target drive will have spare allocated space, the menus will allow you to resize that partition to cover all the space

it even has a graphical interface that allows you to drag the size with the mouse

here's and example:

move-partition.gif

he's trying to resize partition I: to the left, to cover the unallocated space

and if i will use the cloning partition wizard in the program , will it clone the drive properly ? and by properly i mean that i will be able to take the new SSD after the process will be over and plug it instead of the old one and it will it work ? 

Hey Guys

So My friend bought a brand new 480Gb Kingston SSD , and he asked my help with the cloning of his old SSD drive and because technically Kingston doesn't have a dedicated programs like Samsung or Intel i have a couple of questions...

1) What kind of program should i use in order to clone his old SSD (120Gb SSD) into the new Kingston (480Gb) , from a short research on the internet i found out that Acronis True Image is the program that i should use is that so ?

2) The second question is even more important , i need to move the 120Gb partition (which includes the OS)  to a 480Gb partition (without splitting the 480gb partition) , how can i do that ? because most of the 3rd party programs just split the partitions automatically...  

Thanks Ahaid

Ilya

AMD Ryzen 2600 / Asus Prime B-350 Plus / Asus Xonar Essence STX / 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 MHZ / Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB / Corsair DX850W / 250 GB 850 Evo SSD + 3TB (In Various Hard Drives) / Logitech G710+ Keyboard / Razer Abyssus Essential / Cooler Master HEF 932 

Macrium Reflect is a good program. It should do what you need. 

For cloning drives I usually use AOMEI Backupper.
It never split anything into partitions for when I used it. But I'm also not sure what exactly you mean by that...

I would recommend Mini-Tool free it has a ssd/hdd cloning tool built in the works well and is fairly simple to use.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

I used EaseUS Partition Master not even 1month ago - you clone the partitions in order: the system partition, the recovery partition and your C volume; then you resize the C volume to fill the rest of the space

after all that is done, take the old SSD out, and boot the new one

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

I used EaseUS Partition Master not even 1month ago - you clone the partitions in order: the system partition, the recovery partition and your C volume; then you resize the C volume to fill the rest of the space

after all that is done, take the old SSD out, and boot the new one

I tried the same program , so i am suppose to :

1) Clone the system partition (the 500mb one , that was created by the OS system)

2) Clone the OS partition

3) Marge the OS partition with rest of the space that is left

is the order right ? and how do i merge the partitions ?

AMD Ryzen 2600 / Asus Prime B-350 Plus / Asus Xonar Essence STX / 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 MHZ / Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB / Corsair DX850W / 250 GB 850 Evo SSD + 3TB (In Various Hard Drives) / Logitech G710+ Keyboard / Razer Abyssus Essential / Cooler Master HEF 932 

3 hours ago, Thread212 said:

I always use GHOST 32. its so simple. but u cant choose your file one by one.
but instead it will backup your file per partition or the whole disk.

The main problem is that i don't know how to resize volume c with the rest of the space that is left on the SSD , and i would love if you would read the comment that i left for zMeul , thanks ahaid :)

3 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

are u referring from Ghost 32 or windows?
if u want to resize the Ghost 32 will automatically use all of your full ssd space when u are about to restore it or u can change it right before after you try to restore your data.
if from windows u can do it via disk management.

I would love to just clone the the old SSD , and that the information from the old SSD will be transferred to the new SSD , and create a partition the will have the the system partition (without it the OS will not boot) + the OS itself + the space that is left , like in the Samsung Evo Data Migration Tool...

i would love to understand how can i do that...

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

For cloning drives I usually use AOMEI Backupper.
It never split anything into partitions for when I used it. But I'm also not sure what exactly you mean by that...

The program that i used asked me to chose the drive that i wanted to clone which was an (120gb drive) and the destination drive , it did 2 things :

1) It didn't make the drive bootable

2) it cloned the drive but instead of creating automatically a 480gb drive it created a 120Gb drive and left the rest untouched...

39 minutes ago, xXxSourcexXx said:

I tried the same program , so i am suppose to :

1) Clone the system partition (the 500mb one , that was created by the OS system)

2) Clone the OS partition

3) Marge the OS partition with rest of the space that is left

is the order right ? and how do i merge the partitions ?

EaseUS will clone the exact size of the partition and since C is last the target drive will have spare allocated space, the menus will allow you to resize that partition to cover all the space

it even has a graphical interface that allows you to drag the size with the mouse

here's and example:

move-partition.gif

IF thats the case.
1.If u have another pc running on windows. download and open Ghost 32
2.Use Hdd enclosure for your ssd so u can use it as external drive to Clone the data, or u can manually plug the SATA AND POWER cable.
3.Open the ghost 32. Local -> Disk -> To Image.
4.Select your SSD and Choose where u want to store the Clone image file.
5.Click save and wait for it to finish.
6.DONE.

Ps: If u dont have another pc running windows u can try to create a bootable hiren using YUMI. and use mini windows xp feature.

To restore.

1.Use Hdd enclosure for your SSD that u want to use so u can restore the clone image.
2.Local-> Disk -> From Image.
3.Choose the previous image that u have been created before.
4.Choose the disk that u want to restore.
5.Manage partition ( resize or merge )
6.click ok
7.wait till finish.
8.Reboot

PS: If u are gonna use your ssd in anotehr computer there's a chance that u will get a bluescreen because the different motherboard and other hardware though this rarely happen.

I think i got it , only one question is : should i save the image file on another location (not on the new SSD) ? , i have a couple of hard drives that are connected to the system too , so i will be able to use it when i will write it on the new SSD...

what i just said, it will backup your entire disk including system reserved (500mbps space for windows 8 or 10)
u cant clone while ur ssd is being used whether running windows or the other things.
so thats why u need hdd enclosure or plug it manually (sata and sata power cable).
if your SSD didnt showed up after u manually plug the sata data cable and sata power cable, go to device manager and rick click on anything and click scan for hardware changes. ( right click my computer -> manage -> device manager )

i plugged it manually and made sure that it is recognized by the system manager as an un-allocated drive

You cant store the Clone Image file to the HDD/SSD that u will use to restore.
U have to store it somewhere else except the SSD that u want to restore the data to it.

Thanks a lot i will try your method :)

2 hours ago, Thread212 said:

Your welcome :>

By Ghost32 you meant Norton Ghost ? a link would help a lot , strangely it's hard to find...

4 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Will it work with a 64 bit Windows ? or i need Ghost64 ?

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Ghost 32 its the name of the program not the file version..
besides 64 can run 32 program

And in order for the cloning to work i need add it to hirens boot CD ? and go from there ? or just use another computer , am i right ?

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

yeah.. if u have another computer then use it..
and use hdd enclosure for ur ssd.

you mean the SSD that i will be creating an image from ?

44 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

yeah.. if u have another computer then use it..
and use hdd enclosure for ur ssd.

Use hdd enclosure on the ssd that i am creating image from ?

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

here's and example:

move-partition.gif

and if i will use the cloning partition wizard in the program , will it clone the drive properly ? and by properly i mean that i will be able to take the new SSD after the process will be over and plug it instead of the old one and it will it work ? 

Just now, xXxSourcexXx said:

and if i will use the cloning partition wizard in the program , will it clone the drive properly ? and by properly i mean that if i will take the new SSD after the process will be over and plug it instead of the old one will it work ? 

I just said some posts ago I just did it not even a month ago, including resizing

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I just said some posts ago I just did it not even a month ago, including resizing

great , and from what i understand in order to resize the new SSD i need to finish the cloning process first , and then resize it right ?

great , and from what i understand in order to resize the new SSD i need to finish the cloning process first , and then resize it right ?

aye

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

aye

and last question for now ( i am sorry for bothering ) , you said that i need to clone the system partition first (the 500mb one in my case)  , and after that drive C , so the cloning will work properly , am i right ?

and last question for now ( i am sorry for bothering ) , you said that i need to clone the system partition first (the 500mb one in my case)  , and after that drive C , so the cloning will work properly , am i right ?

aye

Just now, zMeul said:

aye

thanks a lot i will try it on Sunday , hopefully all goes well , i will keep you updated :)